Paulinho

LeeRomeno

Isnt it a bit weird to be judgmental of him when clearly his tasks in both games while subbing as we are leading by a big score, is to secure the defense and take away tempo from game. He has done exactly that, why on earth are people expecting him to do some shiny rushing forward if it is absolutely not needed at this stage lol.

JamDav1982

He is coming on to help kill the game as much as anything.

Sure it was him who passed forward to Alba for offside goal as well.

If he comes on in game still in balance and plays like that then would worry a bit more.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
He's still shy out there. Give him some time. Anyhow his contribution is simply to provide muscle and physical presence, and keep it simple. Maybe as he grows into the squad you'll see him pitch in more offesnively and creatively but right now he is just being subbed in to contain and provide fresh legs. Not worth 40million you might think but I don't think he'll ever justify his price tag, but let's wait and see if he can improve otherwise.

Total-Football

if not corruption then someone at barca lost a bet and signed this player. no other plausible explanation.

dude tryanna do a requilme with those awkard moves and passes.. At least Requilme used to do that in the opposite half.

BarçaBarça

He's still shy out there. Give him some time. Anyhow his contribution is simply to provide muscle and physical presence, and keep it simple. Maybe as he grows into the squad you'll see him pitch in more offesnively and creatively but right now he is just being subbed in to contain and provide fresh legs. Not worth 40million you might think but I don't think he'll ever justify his price tag, but let's wait and see if he can improve otherwise.

It is just that - we are Barcelona. So it would be a 1000 times better to see Roberto/Denis/Samper or a young player make a contribution than an over-the-hill expensive Brazilian.
I bet this buy was only about PR in Brazil and nothing more, because of the loss of Neymar (too bad we ended up with him, and not Coutinho or Alex Sandro as panic buys).

JamDav1982

It is just that - we are Barcelona. So it would be a 1000 times better to see Roberto/Denis/Samper or a young player make a contribution than an over-the-hill expensive Brazilian.
I bet this buy was only about PR in Brazil and nothing more, because of the loss of Neymar (too bad we ended up with him, and not Coutinho or Alex Sandro as panic buys).

Those three are nothing like Paulinho though.

He may or not be the rght player bought but it is clearly obvious they were looking for something that was lacking in the players already there - bit more physicality.

Likes of Samper is just a worse version of what was already in squad.

BarçaBarça

Those three are nothing like Paulinho though.

He may or not be the rght player bought but it is clearly obvious they were looking for something that was lacking in the players already there - bit more physicality.

Likes of Samper is just a worse version of what was already in squad.

I get that, but will he really be better than those players? I fear he will be on level, and then the buy is justified, while a good buy or playing youngsters would be better, imo.
N'Zonzi have the same profile as Paulinho, would cost the same, but are a level or two above.

I know that they wanted a different player to the midfielders we already had, but it backfired enormously when we didn't cover our deepest need: WC creative midfielder.
He was some sort of luxury signing, that just happens to be completely shit, and I really would much rather watch Alena try his role and fail somewhat then him being a mediocre addition all year. I don't even buy the plan of signing physicality, that is not how we should act.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Barcelona lacked someone with his attributes, he brings balance to the squad and tactical variation. Can help protect a lead etc.

JamDav1982

I get that, but will he really be better than those players? I fear he will be on level, and then the buy is justified, while a good buy or playing youngsters would be better, imo.
N'Zonzi have the same profile as Paulinho, would cost the same, but are a level or two above.

I know that they wanted a different player to the midfielders we already had, but it backfired enormously when we didn't cover our deepest need: WC creative midfielder.
He was some sort of luxury signing, that just happens to be completely shit, and I really would much rather watch Alena try his role and fail somewhat then him being a mediocre addition all year. I don't even buy the plan of signing physicality, that is not how we should act.

Dont think the lack of creative CM is as much an issue as first though if Messi is playing false nine and Busi is further up park and more involved.

Think playing the way they are just now the issue is more the defensive ability/pace etc for Raki/Iniesta etc to help defend.

Decent teams will still hit Barca on the break a lot.

PhilS

Time to give him a start. He will fit in better after more time on the field. And the team will be different with him on the field, in some ways better, in other ways more challenged. Less like the style we are used to.

Home of Barca Fans