Pedro Rodriguez

Stric

This is not a direct hit at any recent posters here, just a commment - why are some people so bitter towards preserving the La Masia inheritance? Having a squad so strongly based around homegrown players and achieving such success with it is unheard of in today's football. I'd openly give advantage to La Masia players over others anytime, if the circumstances are balanced.

BerkeleyBernie

:facepalm: People act like Pedro has somehow suddenly forgotten to score for Barça while he still scores for Spain. Doesn't it occur to any of you that the opponents play Barça differently now than they did a few years ago? And that with Messi camped central against buses, Pedro and Villa have been instructed to hold the touchlines (until the recent adjustments against Sevilla and Milan), even though it nullifies their best attacking skills?

Pedro is playing just fine, doing exactly what the coaching staff is asking of him. When (and if) they ask him to make more central runs into the space Messi has been camped in up front most games this season, you'll see him scoring more goals. It's less a matter of his touch than the system Barça is using and the tactics now being used against Barça.

Henry_IB

Banned
This is not a direct hit at any recent posters here, just a commment - why are some people so bitter towards preserving the La Masia inheritance? Having a squad so strongly based around homegrown players and achieving such success with it is unheard of in today's football. I'd openly give advantage to La Masia players over others anytime, if the circumstances are balanced.

I don't think anyone minds La Masia players. I would definitely prefer a la masia player over someone else if they are equally talented / same player profile for sure. However, I know there are a lot of people who'd rather have someone worse just because they are a la masia player and I beg to differ on that regard.

For example, I recall last summer with the whole Jordi Alba affair. There was a point when the majority of this forum was against his transfer (before we all realised his awesomeness) and there were a few who wanted him and their primary reason as to why was because he was a former la masia player and a catalan and I personally find that stupid.

But then again, I have no ties to catalonia. My 2 cents though are though that the club show always go for the best player and the only time you should be given an advantage being a la masia player / catalan is if two players are equal.

Last edited:

Stric

Well, think about it this way - if Alba was not good enough for the team in the first place, the entire discussion wouldn't have even existed. So at that point, the Masia/Catalunya comments do make some sense, as in why he should be given the advantage over someone else. That's my view. But I get what you're saying, only if the players are "equal". But for example, I see a lot of comparisons between Alexis and Pedro these days, and many people "complain" how Pedro has been equally as bad, but is receiving better treatment and has a safer place in the team because he's from La Masia. Many people might find it infuriating that I say this, but I don't see anything wrong with that. People are even saying how they'd rather sell Pedro than Alexis. If you had to sell one of them, why would you hold on to a player that's only been here for less than 2 years, is a foreigner and hasn't done much here in terms of football, and sell one that's (for the sake of argument) been equal during the last 2 years, but has been here for almost a decade, comes from your very own youth academy, cost nothing, fits into the team like a glove, has had streaks of brilliant performances and scoring and has been present during and has contributed to the club's most successful era? I don't see the logic in that.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Stric - agree with you 100 % if a la masia player is equal then they should be preferred. In an age where money rules football our achievements with home grown talent are truly remarkable and I know that every opposing fan/team must envy us for it. If someone prefers Sanchez over Pedro based on merit then that is totally reasonable. For me it would be a 50/50 toss up as to who I would be right now between Pedro and Sanchez.

spark

One of the reasons hes still a goleador with Spain is that 7 of those 9 goals came against Saudi Arabia, Panama and Belarus. It is not for no reason that he only had 2 goals in 13 games before 2012. People have to realize that in those open games all of the likes of Adrian, Soldado and Negredo scored in big wins for Spain when they had their chance. Torres was even in goal droughts for Chelsea and still scored doubles against Ireland or Lichtenstein. We don't need A Pedro that scores when the team is playing well, we need the one chance in a big game and ill put it away no problem Pedro. The tactics aren't why he misses chances like this nowadays.

All the goals in the world in friendlies and against sub par opponents wont hide the fact that he isn't the player of 2011 or 2010. Which is why Pep benched him last year and del Bosque preferred an exhausted Silva to start over him at the euros despite Pedro taking his place back in 2010 and starting the World Cup semi final and final. If Silva wasn't suspended there's no way he would potentially start against France tomorrow either. I wouldn't sell him because an ambidextrous player with ability to score is always a good option to have, but there is no way he should be a guaranteed starter even in poor form or never be subbed off when he is misplacing the simplest passes or failing to beat his marker during every attempted dribble.

For me it wasn't the lack of scoring or even the lack of tracking off the ball runs for a supposed defensive minded forward. It was the basics that deserted him. Watch any of our trips to the Bernabeu again and see his attempts at retaining possession or passing to open team mates :facepalm:. Hes a Barca player and that means I will always hope for the best when he is out there but being a Barca player doesn't mean I have to pretend its still 2010 and he is still an excellent finisher, while blaming any failures on every thing but himself.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

:facepalm: People act like Pedro has somehow suddenly forgotten to score for Barça while he still scores for Spain. Doesn't it occur to any of you that the opponents play Barça differently now than they did a few years ago? And that with Messi camped central against buses, Pedro and Villa have been instructed to hold the touchlines (until the recent adjustments against Sevilla and Milan), even though it nullifies their best attacking skills?

Pedro is playing just fine, doing exactly what the coaching staff is asking of him. When (and if) they ask him to make more central runs into the space Messi has been camped in up front most games this season, you'll see him scoring more goals. It's less a matter of his touch than the system Barça is using and the tactics now being used against Barça.

Oh please....Pedro has 7 goals in 2822 minutes while Villa has 14 goals in 1557 minutes. Pedro has been bad and he doesn 't deserve no more to be a starter. At some point this season he had 23 or 24 consecutive matches without a single goal scored so don't tell me he is playing pretty well and it's ok, because it's not.

Theconomist

Oh please....Pedro has 7 goals in 2822 minutes while Villa has 14 goals in 1557 minutes. Pedro has been bad and he doesn 't deserve no more to be a starter. At some point this season he had 23 or 24 consecutive matches without a single goal scored so don't tell me he is playing pretty well and it's ok, because it's not.

but his workrate ! ;)

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
But Villa is a former centre forward with great finishing: of course he will score more even if he plays less. Something about the starting trio in attack: When Villa and Messi are playing together, there must be Pedro or Sanchez on the right to make off the ball movements. Their position on the pitch is irreplaceable for barca play. Both have amazing workrate, good dribble, passing and stamina.

CatalinR10

But Villa is a former centre forward with great finishing: of course he will score more even if he plays less. Something about the starting trio in attack: When Villa and Messi are playing together, there must be Pedro or Sanchez on the right to make off the ball movements. Their position on the pitch is irreplaceable for barca play. Both have amazing workrate, good dribble, passing and stamina.

Workrate and stamina ? Yes....
Passing and good dribble ? No way :lol:

Mr Hulot

Work rate is overrated, especially in a team like Barcelona that has the ball 70% of the time. It was not long ago that we terrorized La Liga and Champions League defences with the work rate of an aging Henry and Lionel-I only run efficiently-Messi. That said Pedro is a Barcelona god, but he is a player very much affected by his good or bad form.. When the form is bad should not start every game it is that simple. Tello is starving for chances.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
If Pedro wasn't from La Masia he would have been sold long ago, period. He has been crap for far too long now.

lovebarca

If Pedro wasn't from La Masia he would have been sold long ago, period. He has been crap for far too long now.
I hate to say this but you are right.I know his movements off the ball is great but problem is he doesn't have that striking fear on opposite defence.So all of burden to score goals fell on messi,so if messi cant or messi man marked then barca suffered heavily.
I know villa started to click and score goals but still we need at least one other goal scorer who can share burden with messi.I am not saying high profile but proven goal scorer.
God i miss 2009 pedro or 2010 bojan,If both of them performed consistently barca's forward problem would have been solved for next decade.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Workrate and stamina ? Yes....
Passing and good dribble ? No way :lol:
I don't understand you. This is quite obvious thing that both Pedro and Sanchez are dribblers. Sanchez was the most skillfull player in Seria A and had the most number of successful dribbles. He also makes amazing through balls for Chile. Pedro is the same thing: for example he always beats Marcelo in clasicos on the right. Good passes for Spain also. I can give you links of the videos where they do it, if you want

BerkeleyBernie

IF Barça continues to use Villa/Sanchez/Pedro centrally up front INSTEAD of Messi, with Messi dropped back (as in Sevilla 2nd half and Milan 2nd leg), then you will see ALL four players getting more shots and goals. The dependence on Messi has been determined by the tactics selected.

Home of Barca Fans