Penal Madrid

Trickykid

It's risk free. Nobody will replace Zidane and only circumstantial managers can follow him. They needed someone who wasn't completely alien to the club and players like Conte or Wenger are, but someone who isn't an absolute utter rookie like Guti and has some positive track record of some sort. Lopetegui fits the bill.

There's also the added bonus that you didn't get Karanka...

Joan

:pique:

I bet it was Ramos who opened his mouth too. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, that's for sure.

giphy.gif

El Flaco

Well, people laughed when we appointed Enrique who flopped in a (relativley) big club like Roma and didn't sent well with Totti....

Lopetegui may be a flop, but it could be a success as well.

Devils

It's risk free. Nobody will replace Zidane and only circumstantial managers can follow him. They needed someone who wasn't completely alien to the club and players like Conte or Wenger are, but someone who isn't an absolute utter rookie like Guti and has some positive track record of some sort. Lopetegui fits the bill.

Real demand big trophies every year so appointing a manager who has shown virtually nothing at club level or ever managed a top club will always carry risk.

Barcelona went the circumstantial route after Pep too and it did have it's fair share of backfires that didn't allow us to capitalize on some of the best years of our golden generation.

I think Madrid need do their best to keep capitalizing with the current generation as well with the likes of Modric, Marcelo, Ronaldo, Ramos all in the later stages of their careers. Not sure if this appointment will make that happen.

Joan

I think it's a very good appointment. Risky, but good. Knows the club, knows the players well, will have their respect.

He might flop, but expect him to do well. Wish he fails big time, though.

serghei

Well, if he doesn't win the CL they will end up with nothing because we'll win La Liga again next season. Come march Madrid will be again in a position of CL or bust.

El Gato

Villarato!
Real demand big trophies every year so appointing a manager who has shown virtually nothing at club level or ever managed a top club will always carry risk.

Barcelona went the circumstantial route after Pep too and it did have it's fair share of backfires that didn't allow us to capitalize on the best years of our golden generation.

I think Madrid need do their best to keep capitalizing with the current generation as well with the likes of Modric, Marcelo, Ronaldo, Ramos all in the later stages of their careers. Not sure if this appointment will make that happen.

What risk? It's not a risk if you know you'll decline to some degree. It's inevitable after you've just had your golden cycle that led to back-to-back-to-back that nobody in history has done before. The names you mentioned aren't going to get any better and with our midfield engine being 33 years old you can't continue to "capitalise" on that in the league. Ronaldo's mind is not going to be on the field, unless he gets what he wants, which is more than the club is willing to give him at this point in his career. Ramos will be his normal self, especially since he was the same sort of leader he is for Spain at this very moment.

It doesn't matter in the slightest he hasn't won anything. Fans want trophies, sure. But club wants continuity of manager-player chemistry on some level. Conte or Wenger know nothing about Spanish football or Madrid. Guti is too green. The likes of Laudrup were probably more likely shouts than them. And that's a smarter appointment TBH.

El Flaco

Well, if he doesn't win the CL they will end up with nothing because we'll win La Liga again next season. Come march Madrid will be again in a position of CL or bust.

If they reach semi-final as a minimum, then it's fairly acceptable.

Winning 4 CLs within 5 seasons is an anomaly.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
[MENTION=12590]ThwiX[/MENTION], sorry to hound you like this, but what makes you believe he's such a fantastic fit for RM? Im genuinely curious here.
Never said he was in any kind of way a fantastic fit. Just a good decision considering the very few options available out there and his results for Spain so far. They might also finally get the best out of Isco. We will see. Hope as much as any Barca fan that he will flop, of course. But sometimes I just got this feeling, you know. Think he will do good there for some reason.

El Gato

Villarato!
I'm more keen to see what the club does with the squad. I mean Bale won't even get the chance to speak to his new manager until he's done in Russia, so I feel like the club are keeping it all behind closed doors for a reason, probably cuz there are a few things already pre-arranged. There could be a few transfers out of nowhere very quickly. For all we know Mane transfer and whatnot could be true. Which is cool.

I hope it means Ronaldo decides to take his deluded obsessive head somewhere else and we can finally move on to bigger things. Take Benzema while you're at it too. Wouldn't mind keeping Gareth so long as he doesn't make stupid demands on minutes.

Devils

What risk? It's not a risk if you know you'll decline to some degree. It's inevitable after you've just had your golden cycle that led to back-to-back-to-back that nobody in history has done before. The names you mentioned aren't going to get any better and with our midfield engine being 33 years old you can't continue to "capitalise" on that in the league. Ronaldo's mind is not going to be on the field, unless he gets what he wants, which is more than the club is willing to give him at this point in his career. Ramos will be his normal self, especially since he was the same sort of leader he is for Spain at this very moment.

It doesn't matter in the slightest he hasn't won anything. Fans want trophies, sure. But club wants continuity of manager-player chemistry on some level. Conte or Wenger know nothing about Spanish football or Madrid. Guti is too green. The likes of Laudrup were probably more likely shouts than them. And that's a smarter appointment TBH.

Risk of not meeting the seasonal demands of Real Madrid. I just don't buy that Real are going to expect and accept decline.

Personally, someone like Conte carries less of a risk for me. Proven league winner in different counties and has dealt with big clubs in the past.

El Gato

Villarato!
Risk of not meeting the seasonal demands of Real Madrid. I just don't buy that Real are going to expect and accept decline.

Personally, someone like Conte carries less of a risk for me. Proven league winner in different counties and has dealt with big clubs in the past.

Fans won't. Most fans want the same to be delivered. But there was nobody more fitting to take the job without making the squad too confused with the new style. I'm sure if Ancelotti was available, he'd be contacted. Pochettino would be here already as soon as Zidane left if he hadn't signed a new deal. Although maybe not, depending how much he cares about introducing Spurs to the new stadium and stuff... don't think he cares more than he would with his eventual Madrid job. Decline is definitely accepted, because the only way to go from such a plateau with an ageing core is down. I mean Zidane paraphrased this at the press conference anyway. He knows the league failure is partly, because the recipe doesn't quite work in the league and he knit the group in too tightly for them to forgive him what he would have had to do this summer. Now he doesn't need to and progress can happen more naturally.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Never said he was in any kind of way a fantastic fit. Just a good decision considering the very few options available out there and his results for Spain so far. They might also finally get the best out of Isco. We will see. Hope as much as any Barca fan that he will flop, of course. But sometimes I just got this feeling, you know. Think he will do good there for some reason.

Check England results in friendlies and qualifiers vs tournament. Those mean nothing yet.

Home of Barca Fans