Pep Guardiola

rmpcsl

Pep should be trying this in Pre season not now!!
Valencia is a really good team and please why in the Pedro was replaced!!

coolasif

Pep please for god sake stop experimenting 3-4-3.And you don't owe Keita anything.Stop playing him in midfield when we have jewel like Thiago sitting on the bench.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'm a rookie and can't read into a game as well as the other good posters in here can. But from my limited knowledge it seems to me that Pep is again totally out classed by Emery

The formation might not be a mistake per se but I think he chose wrong player in Alves for one. Because as good as Alves is in attack a full back can do good in attack only while making runs from deep, he needs to have that momentum because he can't beat a player with limited momentum like a seasoned attacker

And then, from what I could read, his intent was that Keita should be covering for Abi as a make shift LB when Abi drifts into centre during Valencia's counter attacks... But Keita was definitely not doing that during both the goals. So he should have replaced Keita for a right winger(to provide width at the right flank) and bring back Alves to his natural position at the earliest opportunity. But he failed to do so. He did make that move, but very late I'd say

He did expect Emery's tactic to out number our right sided players by playing two left full backs though.

He really missed Alexis for this game I guess. He'd have brought him on instead of Villa I suppose

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
And yeah Xavi had no support in the mid field what so ever... Again because he didn't even have an outlet on the right flank, if not a partner in crime in the midfield

gingerless

You cannot really fault Villa for that missed chance. The Valencia keeper reacted brilliantly. But what worries me about Maravilla is his lack of stamina which leads to him drifting out of games.

100% right

Pep please for god sake stop experimenting 3-4-3.And you don't owe Keita anything.Stop playing him in midfield when we have jewel like Thiago sitting on the bench.

+1

his soft spot for keita is fucking us over... now before you keita fanboys start talking about how he is humble and brings peace in to the squad. FUCK THAT, and fuck you. he breaks up our game in midfield and is really starting to get under my skin, i know it wasn't entirely his fault but he doesn't deliver often enough for the time he is given on the pitch. thiago deserves it more, he was brilliant when he came on. now of course i understand that it isn't poor keita's fault that we have problems in the back and he has to do some bullshit cover work for the defenders when he isn't really one, but like i said, thiago should be starting ahead of him imo. i like keita as a sub, and i hope that's what happens for the future.

pep's tactics at the first half were just... i don't even know what he was trying to do, but he made up for it in the second half with his subs (albeit later than i would have liked) bringing on adriano for keita was brill, he was flaunting candy at the valencia defenders the whole time he was on, as alves was pure fecal matter during the course of the whole game (except for that one tackle he made) i still think we should have won this game with the adjustments pep made, too bad messi had his worst game ever (in front of goal and in dribbling/touch) and we had no sexy alexi (i think he would have been perfect for this game).

credit to emery and his men though, such a great performance from him and his team :worthy:

Last edited:

Barcafan 2304

Agree with gingerless there re:- Keita. They guy contributed very little and patently, him starting ahead of Thiago is just wrong. Keita is steady, nothing more and has not got the class necessary to contribute in the same manner a player like Thiago can. Pep needs to get over this Keita love-in

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
don't see why people are so upset at Pep's experiemental lineups. a few injuries here and there as well as some additions and simple prudence demands that he experiment. I for one welcome it.

and lay off Keita, Mascherano grew in to the CB role and Pep obviously thinks that Keita is capable of subbing in to the DM role while our CBs are in flux.

rmpcsl

Hey guys here is my opinion/questions:
Why sudently play 3-4-3 every game without training it in preseason?
Why play Dani Alves the best RB in the world in attack when we had Villa/Adriano/Affelay available?
Why demand Puyol and Abi that are still recovering from injuries to run 2 times more then usual?
Why Keita is playing ahead of Thiago since he didn't play last game and we won 8-0 and dont help defending or attacking?
Why push so hard for a new formation since we won everything last season with the 4-3-3?
It is impossible to compete with good teams if only 3 guys defends(plus not quick players) and the others don't help (Dani,Buskes,Keita Xavi)
Pedro and Alexis have to start before Villa not that Villa is a bad player but he cannot out speed or drible defenders we should look to bring Neymar and play Villa as sub in the center, rotation could be around this 5 guys Pedro/Alexis/Neymar (wingers) Messi/Villa (center)
With the quality of Thiago/Cesc, Keita cannot play he efforts but not have the quality others have, plus if Cesc don't help defending so much put Masch in midfield, Buskets is good helping attack but don't have Macsh defensive skills.
We really need a quick/reliable CB (ASAP) plus Abi/Puyol replacements very soon our main problem right now is there.

Last edited:

Vegy

Hey guys here is my opinion/questions:

Why sudently play 3-4-3 every game without training it in preseason?
Why play Dani Alves the best RB in the world in attack when we had Villa/Adriano/Affelay available?
Why demand Puyol and Abi that are still recovering from injuries to run 2 times more then usual?
Why Keita is playing ahead of Thiago since he didn't play last game and we won 8-0 and dont help defending or attacking?
Why push so hard for a new formation since we won everything last season with the 4-3-3?
It is impossible to compete with good teams if only 3 guys defends(plus not quick players) and the others don't help (Dani,Buskes,Keita Xavi)
Pedro and Alexis have to start before Villa not that Villa is a bad player but he cannot out speed or drible defenders we should look to bring Neymar and play Villa as sub in the center, rotation could be around this 5 guys Pedro/Alexis/Neymar (wingers) Messi/Villa (center)
With the quality of Thiago/Cesc, Keita cannot play he efforts but not have the quality others have, plus if Cesc don't help defending so much put Masch in midfield, Buskets is good helping attack but don't have Macsh defensive skills.
We really need a quick/reliable CB (ASAP) plus Abi/Puyol replacements very soon our main problem right now is there.

I hope you don't mind if I try to answer them:

We bought Fabregas.
Because like you said, Alves is the best RB in the world. The problem was that he was left completely alone on the right against Valencia.
Because they are experienced enough to be trusted to deal with it.
...can't understand the question..
Motivating the team with something new/new players/more unpredictability(for our opponents)
Others do help. But they are often too far forward to cover back.
Villa is in a weird dip in form... But bringing in Neymar would only make things worse - Villa would become frustrated and even more unconfident, Neymar costs too much and really is not worth the trouble.
I think the main reason Pep plays Keita so often is because he is more defensive minded and physical player than others in his position. He also runs a lot which closes up most of the channels that the opposition could play through.
I agree with the last statement.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
don't see why people are so upset at Pep's experiemental lineups. a few injuries here and there as well as some additions and simple prudence demands that he experiment. I for one welcome it.

and lay off Keita, Mascherano grew in to the CB role and Pep obviously thinks that Keita is capable of subbing in to the DM role while our CBs are in flux.

Thing is this was more of a tactical fuck up than experimentation.

He knows how Valencia plays, he knows how attacking Mathieu is, he knows Emery's style, he's played them plenty time before. Yet he decides to field a three man defense leaving poor Mascherano to get torched on the left flank. I love Pep, but sometimes I wonder why he can not see shit like this coming, I mean was he really expecting this formation to work against Valencia in the Mestalla?

E

estranged

you guys seen this pic before? It's pep in his Nou Camp ball boy years, celebrating with Terry Venables :lol:
article-1267325-09333FE2000005DC-339_468x629.jpg

Home of Barca Fans