Petrinha's Barca

DaniAlves

Beautiful pictures!! I'm going to Barcelona over a weekend in May to watch the last liga game of the season against Valladolid, and you have given me so much inspiration to what I must go and see while I'm there! :D

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Ahhh tnx, happy to do that :D And while u r there kick that brazilian Dani ass to get serious and play hehe :)
Have fun!!!

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
So, lil bit of Sagrada Familia a neo - gothic Europe's most unconventional church and Gaudi's greatest work. It became his life work and he lived like a recluse on the site for 14 years so was logical to be burried in it's cript continuing the work on the 'other side'. At his death only one tower had been completed ... and the work on it continues today, financed by public subscription.

In his vision there was a central tower encircled by 4 large towers representing the Evangelists. 4 towers on the Glory(south) fascade will match the existing 4 on the Passion(west) and Nativity(east) facades which will represent 12 apostols topped by venetian mosaics.

30t3m9e.jpg

2vbu6f8.jpg

1zlri92.jpg

ap7a5h.jpg

2u9px6x.jpg

Passion facade at the main entrance
2v0k65h.jpg

5e7h3a.jpg

In the nave that is stil under construction pillars support 4 galleries above the side aisles, while skylights let in natural light.

9i5wft.jpg

u4i9k.jpg

Okay am finished with Gaudi for now, it's hard to see much in a week when half of the trip is footie related :p ... next time i am there will visit Palau Guell & Park by the same mecena name i saw last time some 15 years ago ...

Soon some more of Barca to come, streets, quartiers, Miro, marina, beach glance and some more more buildings :D

S

Super Pippo

Nice photos Petra.

Did you see Madrid government are going to knock it down by insisting that the new pato train line tunnel must pass underneath it, meaning the vaults will likely give way. :D

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Thx :)
I know !!! And Casa Mila is in danger too ... well maybe it will push the works on it to finish finaly before Madrid-Barca high speed train hits the road so we can see the master-piece in full glance before it colapses :D
Aiiii am angry but cannot say it surprises me ...

S

Super Pippo

They won't be able to finish Sagrada Familia anyway Petra, not as Gaudi planned anyway - from what little he actually bothered to draw of it anyway. His idea for the crossing of the apse is twice the height of the glory façade that is complete now. You couldn't build that with our technology today, let alone in his.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Are they really considering it? Uh..
So you left the best for the end. One of the most beautiful churches in the world...
Thanx for the pictures Petra.

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
They won't be able to finish Sagrada Familia anyway Petra, not as Gaudi planned anyway - from what little he actually bothered to draw of it anyway. His idea for the crossing of the apse is twice the height of the glory façade that is complete now. You couldn't build that with our technology today, let alone in his.

Yeah, i know that ... was just being ironic :)

Are they really considering it? Uh..
So you left the best for the end. One of the most beautiful churches in the world...
Thanx for the pictures Petra.

Yeah, there r petitione of course, we will see what happens ...
Welcome, am happy u liked them ... will go now with random city pics, hope u will like them too :)

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
The Old Town, traversed by the city's most fameous avenue, Las Ramblas, is one of the most extensive medieval city centres in Europe.

Exploring Las Ramblasssss
The name comes from arabic 'ramla' meaning the dried-up bed of a seasonal river. It's left bank was followed by the 13th cent city wall from the Collserola hills to the sea. Convents, monastiers and the univesity were built on the other bank in the 16th cent, later demolished but remembered in the names of the five consecutive Rambles that make a great avenue between the Port Vell and Placa de Catalunya.

29p9ctj.jpg

Font de Canaletes, 19th cent.

j8k6mf.jpg

1e9f8p.jpg

33tr11y.jpg

Reial Academia de Ciences i Arts, converted into a theatre in 1910

14bj62d.jpg

La Boqueria - beautiful & colorful food market :p

2rrtkx5.jpg

2itoos5.jpg

715gyq.jpg

s2adlf.jpg

2upco09.jpg

t88zo5.jpg

2mebnee.jpg

nce1dx.jpg

2yno6eu.jpg

k1c7le.jpg

260skur.jpg

2vllfyv.jpg

Damn, am soooo hungry atm :p

Last edited:

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
10wjz3b.jpg

6gd1le.jpg

2e0shvt.jpg

34yz12d.jpg

29y6na.jpg

igyxk7.jpg

5k56cg.jpg

8xtunq.jpg

nlu73m.jpg

An art deco dragon designed for a former umbrella shop
16c8lef.jpg

14vh2kk.jpg

Mosaic pavement by Miro at Placa de la Boqueira
289wu54.jpg

5b8scw.jpg

Gran Teatre del Liceu - the opera house
9rhez7.jpg

Traffic jam !!!
v774w6.jpg

15h1i1f.jpg

10dihjo.jpg

jqt1eo.jpg

Flowers, flowers an moreee flowerssss
24418yh.jpg

ritci8.jpg

Last edited:

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Palau Guell - one more neo-gothic Gaudi work

250qa0m.jpg

30s97c0.jpg

1zvzurr.jpg

ety32b.jpg

1zxawsk.jpg

rqw3s7.jpg

rrmtlc.jpg

213b6v.jpg

jj30q0.jpg

ayt82g.jpg

dwxpfs.jpg

14shd2r.jpg

And Don Quichotte lost in Barca looking for his Mancha
2rclf10.jpg

Placa reial - Barca's most lively square, built in 1850, and again Gaudi hehe, the neo-classical lampposts were designed by him :)
oibrbn.jpg

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Palau de la Musica Catalana - a modernist celebration of tilework, sculpture & glass :D The only concert hall in Eur lit by the natural light, completed in 1908.

14kfqd4.jpg

35lum44.jpg

jq501t.jpg

2z5rrpi.jpg

The red-brick fascade is lined with the mosaic covered pillars topped by busts of composers Palestrina, Bach & Beethoven.
2upeqv5.jpg

kejmvc.jpg

Wanted to go there for spanish guitar concert but was same day & time with Bilbao game, so another thing i need to do next time :)
Heard that the interior is splendid.

Home of Barca Fans