Rafinha Alcantara

mssarm

Why this is even a discussion? Thiago is not a Barca player period. Same as Cesc, same Alexis Sanchez. We have great young player Rafinha and he is making great progress. Let's not compare him to his brother, because he is playing for a different team.

zanela

He could be pretty decisive at times and had a decent amount of goals/assists in his two last seasons (did score a hattrick in the u21 Euros final after all). Also, why does it matter if he has end product anyway? He's a central midfielder, setting the tempo and making plays with his passing and movement. This is a guy who broke the Buli record for most passes in a single game after all. He was a central maestro even if he tended to go forward and join the attack from time to time (something Xavi did often).

+1

At similar age, Thiago was the talisman of Spain's double youth Championships. He's adept in dictating play, but also offers purposeful verticality. His ball skills are on a level above Rafinha's. And as much as I despise his move to Buyern, I'd take a fit Thiago (as much of a twunt he is) over Rafinha every day of the week.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thiago is a CM. Rafinha is an AM.

We need CMs. Ofc most people would take a fit Thiago then, but there's no comparison between them IMO. Different roles.

zanela

We need CMs. Ofc most people would take a fit Thiago then, but there's no comparison between them IMO. Different roles.

Thiago can be as much of an AM. He's quite a verstatile lad. He's excelled in forward role (most notably u-21 final where he played ahead of Koke). I'd take him over his brother, whatever the role. Period.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Whatever hater.

JamDav is more of a lover than a hater tbh. He 'loves' to argue. Unfortunately in this case he is right. I never liked Thiago much because of the sort of 'I am the big deal' expression on his face, and the fact that I never saw much of a fighter in his game. But, he's more talented than Rafinha. Doesn't mean that it guarantees a better career than Rafinha though.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Thiago can be as much of an AM. He's quite a verstatile lad. He's excelled in forward role (most notably u-21 final where he played ahead of Koke). I'd take him over his brother, whatever the role. Period.

I think Rafinha's dribbling gives him the edge over his brother in the AM role, although there's no doubt that if we need a CM, then a fit Thiago would have been perfect.

zanela

I think Rafinha's dribbling gives him the edge over his brother in the AM role, although there's no doubt that if we need a CM, then a fit Thiago would have been perfect.

Nah, Thiago trumps Rafa at taking on players. And I've watched the former since he was 17.

Last edited:

Kohe321

He had a really great game, and is growing well and quickly with the increased responsibility. That's always a good sign. Keep it up Rafinha!

khaled_a_d

tbh ,right now it feels we are playing with RMF & LMF than a CM&AM .Busquets is the one controlling the game than Rakitic&Iniesta whom each one is more playing and shifting toward a certain side
I don't get why people feel the need to compare between the two,people need to forget about their surname a and be happy with the player we have
If Rafinha continue this way he is more than likely be ahead of Xavi in picking order by the end of the season.hopefully he can keep it up.his defensive toughness is very welcomed btw .one we didn't have into our midfield due(CM/AM) since Deco IMO

Rival

I disagree. On what ground, or say criteria, can you prove he is a better player than Rafinha? You cannot as it is all subjective. Besides, I dare to say that Rafinha suits Barca's playing style more than Thiago and in a way is what we need for the future. He is an excellent lad to modernise our midfield play.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
+1

At similar age, Thiago was the talisman of Spain's double youth Championships. He's adept in dictating play, but also offers purposeful verticality. His ball skills are on a level above Rafinha's. And as much as I despise his move to Buyern, I'd take a fit Thiago (as much of a twunt he is) over Rafinha every day of the week.

Maybe you're right, maybe not. Maybe I'm a little bitter he left. Thiago's ball skills are indeed a level above Rafinhas, I agree 100% - but maybe our memory is a little selective, we just remember all the flashy stuff Thiago did/does but seen over a whole game Thiago also screws up lots of stuff and is a liability. I prefer a Rafi (like he played today) over a Thiago that nutmegs + does a nice lobpass and than gives the ball away in dangerous positions time after time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Rafa just made a MoM performance. Can we be a bit more apprecative?
And stop comparing him with an idea of what Thiago was (because we don't know what he's now).
Different systems, different players.

Home of Barca Fans