Ronald Koeman

frog-fcb

so we are in agreement that we have players that shouldn't be starters at a club of this level. let's look at the bench then:

alena - mediocre to poor and haven't seen him make an impact as a sub
umtiti - dead
braithwaite - getafe level player, no impact from the bench
dembele - injury waiting to happen and he seems on way out. the only one that could really impact a game, if he was in form
pedri - not barca level yet. too young. came from segunda etc. no impact from bench
trincao - same as pedri. he's just finding his feet at barca
pjanic - can offer something else. only experienced player we have from bench
firpo - can we call him a footballer?
araujo - might be ok, but not sure if he's better then lenglet or vice-versa
dest - only got here. we don't know what he's made of
the other youngsters are just there to make up numbers

we have a shit bench. players that are either always injured, not good enough or too young. and the players that we are still chasing have question marks over their heads for multiple reasons.

on top of that we don't have a consistent goalscorer aside from messi. fati barely started and we don't know his level.

squad building at its finest

Feel blessed we have a bench this year just look at the situation in our last game last season

Rory

Hopefully this is a wake up call for Koeman to rotate the squad. He also needs to manage Messi's minutes better. 2-0 up against Celta at the 51 min mark and he stays on the rest of the whole half knowing we're likely to be defending stretches of the game and with 10 men. Maybe don't pull him off straight away but 65th-70th minute? Same with the Villareal match.

Should also realise that some pace was needed yesterday. As poor as dembele's decision making can be I think he would have pushed back Sevilla due to his pace which could have helped the team push forward and maybe create more.

He also needs to figure out a system for the midfield and not just start 2 players there and hope for the best, sure it works against poor teams but Frenkie and Busquets as a double pivot is laughable against any team that's likely to finish in the top 6.

Marshall D Teach

Bench. Busquets.

Dropping points happens, we can't win them all. The bigger issue is that Busquets still seems to be an unconditional starter.

Last edited:

FC433

Fixed one wing and then damaged the other.

I was worried that he was going to play Griezmann as a RW right after the second/ third? friendly game. Does not look good.

FCBfan22

Fixed one wing and then damaged the other.

I was worried that he was going to play Griezmann as a RW right after the second/ third? friendly game. Does not look good.

Three pivots on the pitch while chasing a a win on Camp Nou is inexcusable. Moving Coutinho's position and then subbing him while playing great in the 1st half is inexcusable.

FC433

^
+1
should have, at least, subbed off Coutinho and subbed in Trincao + MP for Busquets

Griezmann
Fati Messi Trincao

Ideally, Trincao for Messi.

George_Costanza

^
Of course, I meant dropping to the left side (ingame) when Messi goes back to the midfield.

No tactical solution for Messi unless we move him to a forward position (still no guarantee he won't drop to MF). As RW he won't stick to the position, he never did, and he will drift to toward the middle, middle back. Coutinho should move to the middle (Middle left). Greaseman as a sub never a starter unless its a rotation with Messi. Puig above anyone unless Pjanic plays better, or in advance role he is the first choice sub for Coutinho. Dembele rotate for both RW and LW, if he proves he can perform better than Trincao or Fati then start him in some of the games. Meritocracy will only save this team.

My favorite lineup would be this

Dest(Bob)-----Pique(Araujo)----Langlet------Alba

-------------------------FDJ(Busquets)
-----------Puig(Pjanic)------

---Trincao(Dembele)----Coutinho(Puig/Pedri)----Fati(Dembele)

--------------------Messi (Greaseman)

soul24rage

I could understand Koeman starting the same starting XI vs Sevilla as the system was still new and needs refining.

I could also understand Koeman not playing Dembele and Puig as we were still in the transfer market and they both could have moved to another team.
We didn't want them injured.

My criticism of him is
-Taking out Coutinho who looked the most likeliest to score/create
-Playing 3 pivots when we needed to score a goal.

Hopefully, once the system is more refined, he will do more rotations and play the likes of Dembele, and Puig.

serghei

I could understand Koeman starting the same starting XI vs Sevilla as the system was still new and needs refining.

I could also understand Koeman not playing Dembele and Puig as we were still in the transfer market and they both could have moved to another team.
We didn't want them injured.

My criticism of him is
-Taking out Coutinho who looked the most likeliest to score/create
-Playing 3 pivots when we needed to score a goal.

Hopefully, once the system is more refined, he will do more rotations and play the likes of Dembele, and Puig.

The way I see it, the movement was crap and we weren't able to bring the ball out from defense. So he countered that with one extra player in build-up. At the point of the sub, the ball wasn't getting at the players upfront. Partly because the midfielders, especially De Jong, played poorly, and partly because the 4 upfront didn't help much. Only one upfront who moved well and played with some intensity and purpose was Coutinho, all the other attackers had a terrible game imo. You can't sub Messi, and we already had subbed Fati and Griezmann at the time.

So, Griezmann out was the only solution to try to regain control in midfield. His major mistake was that he didn't sub out De Jong or Busi, and brought Puig on as early as the beginning of the 2nd half. Who is a great quick mover and would have probably been able to connect our lines better, especially considering Sevilla grew tired in the game and was barely holding on near the end.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans