Ronaldinho

Temptation

Dinho is kinda on point with his recent remarks tbh.

The 2006 Brazil team was wild.

It was on paper, probably the strongest national team ever assembled.

The starting line up was:

---------------------- Dida -----------------------
Cafu --- Lucio --- Juan -- Roberto Carlos
-------- Emerson --- Ze Roberto -------
------ Kaka ------------------- Ronaldinho
---------- Adriano -- Ronaldo ---------

3 Ballon d'Or winners in there, plus one of the most intimidating strikers ever, two contenders for the best full backs of all time, and amazing defensive players and workhorses to add to that.

If each of these players were at their best, this team would be unstoppable.

But in reality they underperformed badly.

To be fair to them, they did have some good games like the second half against Japan and the knockout tie against Ghana, and it took Zidane's brilliant performance to knock them out. However the expectations going into the tournament were massive, they were seen as clear cut favourites, and they disappointed everybody.

I remember this was the first time people saw Dinho as human again, as before that, despite some inconsistent form that season, he used to deliver in big games for Barcelona and had just won the CL against Arsenal.

This WC also cemented the downfalls of Adriano and Ronaldo, who were no longer seen as elite players after this.

However I think that despite this team being seen as a failure, I honestly think that this was still a better Brazil than any team that came afterwards. Despite the poor form of key players, they were still very defensively solid and if it wasn't for that Zidane pass to Henry, they might have knocked out France on penalties. Going out losing 0-1 to that France team is no shame, it was much less of an embarrassment than the ways in which the future teams were kicked out of the WC. From my memory, Lucio was a total beast in that tournament. So, as badly as they underperformed, I would still take that Brazil team over any other version that came afterwards. For example, there's no way this team loses 7-1 to Germany or wastes a lead to Croatia. Just too much defensive talent and experience in there. Perhaps Dinho has got a point.

Windhook

Dinho is kinda on point with his recent remarks tbh.

The 2006 Brazil team was wild.

It was on paper, probably the strongest national team ever assembled.

The starting line up was:

---------------------- Dida -----------------------
Cafu --- Lucio --- Juan -- Roberto Carlos
-------- Emerson --- Ze Roberto -------
------ Kaka ------------------- Ronaldinho
---------- Adriano -- Ronaldo ---------

3 Ballon d'Or winners in there, plus one of the most intimidating strikers ever, two contenders for the best full backs of all time, and amazing defensive players and workhorses to add to that.

If each of these players were at their best, this team would be unstoppable.

But in reality they underperformed badly.

To be fair to them, they did have some good games like the second half against Japan and the knockout tie against Ghana, and it took Zidane's brilliant performance to knock them out. However the expectations going into the tournament were massive, they were seen as clear cut favourites, and they disappointed everybody.

I remember this was the first time people saw Dinho as human again, as before that, despite some inconsistent form that season, he used to deliver in big games for Barcelona and had just won the CL against Arsenal.

This WC also cemented the downfalls of Adriano and Ronaldo, who were no longer seen as elite players after this.

However I think that despite this team being seen as a failure, I honestly think that this was still a better Brazil than any team that came afterwards. Despite the poor form of key players, they were still very defensively solid and if it wasn't for that Zidane pass to Henry, they might have knocked out France on penalties. Going out losing 0-1 to that France team is no shame, it was much less of an embarrassment than the ways in which the future teams were kicked out of the WC. From my memory, Lucio was a total beast in that tournament. So, as badly as they underperformed, I would still take that Brazil team over any other version that came afterwards. For example, there's no way this team loses 7-1 to Germany or wastes a lead to Croatia. Just too much defensive talent and experience in there. Perhaps Dinho has got a point.
I agree. 2006 squad was probably the most rich in quality ever Brazil team assembled.

But they were cocky and lacked motivation as World Cup holders. 2002 was much different as Brazil were viewed as underdogs with wheelchair Ronaldo and Rivaldo being the single big shot. The world wasn't aware of Ronaldinho's full talent at this point. Ironic that Felipao took flak from Brazilian press for employing Italian style of defensive football, which eventually lead to triumph.

None of that was displayed in 2006. Ronaldinho was the best player on the planet at this point and he was invisible during the World Cup. All I remember from this tournament about Brazil is Ronaldo breaking the total goals scored record and Asamoah Gyan having white paint on his face for falling in the penalty area. Then Zidane sent them home.

Porque

I'm thankful for this update. I been trying to read the story at MD all morning to see where he went, but have been fighting a personal battle not to sign up to their site.

Burnley it is then. With a few soft edits he can tell his friends back in Brazil that he is still Blaugrana.

Home of Barca Fans