Samuel Umtiti

FCBfan22

[tw]978217051415293952[/tw]

Robert's last job.

Yes, nowadays Umtiti's clause is too low and it's easy to blame the club for that but things are not that simple.

I'm sure Barça would gladly put higher clauses to all of their players contracts but how many players would sign contracts with unrealistic clauses (especially if they also don't come with much higher wages)? Players/their agents wants to keep their options open if circumstances changes. Release clauses are meant to be working in players favour so they have more negotiating power than clubs. It's La Liga's fault to not protect their clubs better and get rid of release clauses. La Liga has lost a lot of good players because of them.

It's easy to be smart in hindsight but when Umtiti signed I don't think his clause was set too low both based on his expected role in the team and market. He was signed as a backup to Masche with a HOPE to become a starter but nobody knew if he'd really make it. Other players like Digne, Cillessen, Denis who were also signed in summer 2016 have similar clauses but nobody is complaining they are too low because they have not made it as starters. Gomes and Paco have higher clauses but both wanted to get out of Valencia so they were prepared to sign contracts with higher clauses and they were also more proven at that time. Paco has played 13 games for Spain and Gomes was a starter for Portugal NT at the start of Euro 2016 before Umtiti even made his NT debut. And for that to happen he needed Mathieu's injury and Rami's suspension.

Another thing, world record transfer fee in June 2016 was 100M€ (Pogba was sold for 105M in August). Most expensive CB at that time was David Luiz and Rio Ferdinand's transfer from Leeds to United in 2002 was still second on that list. A month after we bought Umtiti City paid around 55M€ for John Stones but that was a transfer inside EPL, where prices are always inflated, especially when it comes to British players.

Umtiti's role has changed and his clause would be nowadays low even in "June 2016" market because he's now an established starter for Barça and NT and I'm sure club had plans to adress that even before last summer. But something that nobody could realistically expect was there would be a 200% inflation on the market in just one year thanks to Q$G and Neymar so now prices of almost all players have doubled which means getting Umtiti for 60M even a bigger steal than before.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is just usual Sport BS during NT break and Umtiti will renew after World Cup or maybe even before that.

Well, all true. But looking from another angle, Uncle Flo was putting astronmical clauses on his players since long, long ago...

So, despite the inflation on the market, it's still mainly our fault.

wisconsincule

For those saying he is overrated shame on you. If we lose him it will be sour grapes and we all know that. He isn’t going anywhere.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't think anyone is disputing how good Umtiti is and should he decide to leave, it will be a huge blow to us and it will be hard to find quality CBS to replace him.

However, at the same time asking for 9m a year is too much and too greedy if we were to believe these rumors, because not even Pique is paid that much I think. Surrendering to his demand will have very bad consequences for the club as it sets a bad precedent and you will have other players holding the club hostage like this in the future too.

IF these rumors are true, I lost at least a little bit of respect for Umtiti already. Yes the club screwed up by not setting much higher release clause in the first place, but I can't believe some people blame the club for being (allegedly) taken advantage of by Umtiti. If he does end up leaving simply because Manchester United is paying 9m a year then screw him, in that case it proves all the stuff he said before about dreaming to play for us and it was a dream that came true etc. was nothing but fake and a charade, what matters the most to him is money. And regardless of how good he is and how hard it is to replace him, we don't need these types of gold-digger players in our club.

El Gato

Villarato!
However, at the same time asking for 9m a year is too much and too greedy if we were to believe these rumors, because not even Pique is paid that much I think. Surrendering to his demand will have very bad consequences for the club as it sets a bad precedent and you will have other players holding the club hostage like this in the future too.

IF these rumors are true, I lost at least a little bit of respect for Umtiti already. Yes the club screwed up by not setting much higher release clause in the first place, but I can't believe some people blame the club for being (allegedly) taken advantage of by Umtiti. If he does end up leaving simply because Manchester United is paying 9m a year then screw him, in that case it proves all the stuff he said before about dreaming to play for us and it was a dream that came true etc. was nothing but fake and a charade, what matters the most to him is money. And regardless of how good he is and how hard it is to replace him, we don't need these types of gold-digger players in our club.

https://sillyseason.com/salary/fc-barcelona-players-salaries-69077/

According to this, Pique is paid £8.6M, same as Iniesta. Busi is on £9.36M. The only players earning more are Messi, Suarez and Coutinho who are all above £10M. Couldn't find Dembele's.

Put this into perspective for yourself - Umtiti is being asked to renew for a lengthy period of time and into one of the 2 big contracts he's going to ever get. He's being asked to commit to and assume the lead of Barcelona's defense for up to a decade. It is only natural to ask for such valuation, especially in today's contract culture. He's a French minority player and only the English are worse for chasing money on their contracts.

In these circumstances Barca would be fucking dumb to try to give him any less than 7M, which is the lowest form of compromise both sides could probably reach, if Umtiti starts the bidding at 9M. Dude is severely underpaid for a 24-year old starting CB. Same goes for Varane in RM who only earns ~£5M, even though he's earnt the right to earn at least 2/3s more than he does.

In any case, it's obviously normal he does these "joker" interviews. I'd do the same in his current position.

Neeraj

I'll be shocked if he isn't here next season. It's all a contract negotiation, and I'm fairly certain it will be back to "I'm happy at the best club in the world" very soon.

To the point of buyouts though, all those posts about how it's not solely up to us to keep the clauses high - Madrid's ability to do this over and over raises serious questions.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

According to this, Pique is paid £8.6M, same as Iniesta. Busi is on £9.36M. The only players earning more are Messi, Suarez and Coutinho who are all above £10M. Couldn't find Dembele's.

Put this into perspective for yourself - Umtiti is being asked to renew for a lengthy period of time and into one of the 2 big contracts he's going to ever get. He's being asked to commit to and assume the lead of Barcelona's defense for up to a decade. It is only natural to ask for such valuation, especially in today's contract culture. He's a French minority player and only the English are worse for chasing money on their contracts.

In these circumstances Barca would be fucking dumb to try to give him any less than 7M, which is the lowest form of compromise both sides could probably reach, if Umtiti starts the bidding at 9M. Dude is severely underpaid for a 24-year old starting CB. Same goes for Varane in RM who only earns ~£5M, even though he's earnt the right to earn at least 2/3s more than he does.

In any case, it's obviously normal he does these "joker" interviews. I'd do the same in his current position.

He joined the club two years ago and yes he is perhaps one of the best CBs out there right now but I still find it ridiculous that he wants to be paid as much as Pique and Iniesta, two club legends.

His current contract is through 2021, by that time he will be 27, he can still earn a lot more if he keeps up his current levels and improve so I don’t think he wants to lock in a decent salary right now. Plus, the fact we are renewing his contract is just done to up his release, why did he agree to sign with us in the first place two years ago if he had wanted this much (going by the reported 9m a year figure)? I think he is wanting this much only because he is backed with that offer from Manchester United and he felt he could use that as his leverage against the club.

What do you mean by “He's a French minority player and only the English are worse for chasing money on their contracts.”? So the club should have seen this coming because he is French and he is black?? Oh-uh, should we start worrying about Dembele too?

I agree with offering him 7m sounds right and if he backs down and accepts it, kudos to him. But if he does leave simply because Manchester United pays him more (other than that I can’t think of another reason to join Manchester United) then he is a mercenary. If PSG comes knocking with 15m a year salary he would probably ditch Manchester United to join PSG.

DHorozov

Also, not sure if what media says is correct and he demands 9M euros, but if that is the case, 9M euros are currently around 7.86M pounds (and from what I see the above salaries are calculated in pounds). So, if he does demands 7.86M pounds, this would make around 151,000 per week, which is lower from what Busi, Pique and Iniesta are currently earning.

Another good point is that the only thing the media says is that we cannot afford 9M euros (or 7.86M pounds). However, as there will surely be negotiations, I think that this amount could be lowered to 7M pounds, which is roughly 134,000 per week, or way closer to what currently Rakitic and Paulinho are earning and at least for me, he does deserve close or even better salary than these two, who are both in their 30's.

Regarding the answers, of course he will use "joker" since these answers from what I understand had to be "yes" or "no" and currently he cannot give that answer, probably being in negotiations with the club...

All in all, I don't think that all these has to be taken that seriously. Of course he wants a significant raise when he is about to sign a contract that will keep him here for another 6 or something years with probably huge buy in clause.

FC B

Best CB in the world my arse , guy has been a bombscare last couple of months and if he needs more cash than he deserves get rid of him. Messi is the only person that cannot be replaced , we will always find a replacement for this guy.

Maybe among the best but certainly not the undesputable best. Lenglet or Hernandez seem good options to replace him.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Also, not sure if what media says is correct and he demands 9M euros, but if that is the case, 9M euros are currently around 7.86M pounds (and from what I see the above salaries are calculated in pounds). So, if he does demands 7.86M pounds, this would make around 151,000 per week, which is lower from what Busi, Pique and Iniesta are currently earning.

Another good point is that the only thing the media says is that we cannot afford 9M euros (or 7.86M pounds). However, as there will surely be negotiations, I think that this amount could be lowered to 7M pounds, which is roughly 134,000 per week, or way closer to what currently Rakitic and Paulinho are earning and at least for me, he does deserve close or even better salary than these two, who are both in their 30's.

Regarding the answers, of course he will use "joker" since these answers from what I understand had to be "yes" or "no" and currently he cannot give that answer, probably being in negotiations with the club...

All in all, I don't think that all these has to be taken that seriously. Of course he wants a significant raise when he is about to sign a contract that will keep him here for another 6 or something years with probably huge buy in clause.

The 9m figure reported should be euros, not pounds. And that is pre-tax I think.

Home of Barca Fans