Samuel Umtiti

Havesaks

Valverde has this weird way of testing rotations in the wrong games. Betis away, Levante away when they were on form, now Villarreal away.

Here was another one, Umtiti at RCB away from home. Umtiti hasn't even played this position for France, has never partnered Lenglet and with his positioning you could tell. We just played Espanyol at home, 3 days earlier. There is a game to test an unproven CB partnership.

Villarreal in El Madrigal are one of those teams where if you do not bring your A game, they will make you suffer with their tempo, pressing and transitions.

On the other hand the midfield was abysmal. Arthur is out of form post injury, Busquets is playing his poorest form and Vidal can not impact the game without the other midfielders playing well.

Atleast we rescued a point, and atleast Malcom is bringing enough production to show he can be a game changer who can start easier fixtures and also be the first attacking sub.

Yes, he wants to prove barca-fans on barcaforum that rotations don't work = justify not doing rotations, and keep playing his favorites oldies all season long. He doesn't care if we win or lose, all that matters for this sorry individual is to play it safe and plays his loverboys.

:valverde: :valverde: :valverde:

Havesaks

That doesn't force him to make horrible passes, for example. That is on him.

You mean the one to Lenglet? Well a player who just comes from long term injury is bound to making stupid mistakes, the player feels unease at start, and stupid mistakes just happen. Also i don't really think he had that many bad passes? But i wasn't wachting the game with full concentration so i may be wrong. My impression wasn't that he made bad passes, but that his positioning was just way off (for reasons i have mentioned before), destabilizing the whole defense - and normally we have Pique as a whole game but especially defense leader, and you can't expect Umtiti to fill those shoes after not playing with his mates for the whole season. Normally i consider Umtiti to be a vocal and leading figure (with fine positioning also, not perfect) but as said, he just came back, it wasn't up to him to organize our back line, actually it would have been Lenglets job i guess. Thats also a concern i have stated here before. Our board members here praise Lenglet a lot and want Umtiti sold, but as said several times, we have to remember that he is playing alongside Pique as leading figure, and Lenglet jobs is secondary to Piques. Umtiti has already showed that he can be a leading figure, managing a back line and maybe even a team from behind, lenglet hasn't. Im not saying he can't, but he hasn't shown it yet because it hasn't been necessary for him to learn it, just like Pique didn't when we had Puyol around. And it even took a lot of time for Pique to take a leading CB position at the club, before it wasn't him, but Mascherano, and now he has finally taken the staff (all tho he did do it in big games before and for some longer periods).

Finale note, i wouldn't read to much into Umitis performances right now. He is rusty as hell, like anyone would be in his situation. And all tho Lenglet has been amazing, but he hasn't yet shown what Umtiti did pre-injurie. And it would be a huge mistake to sell or witch hunt Titi because he has played a few bad games after a long term injure. just my 2 cents

PhilS

I felt so sorry for him yesterday. Still, he must rotate in at both CB positions, he will just have to improve.

serghei

Bait some team into spending 40m. on him and sell. He's best level is behind him. Get De Ligt. We need a future Pique who can organize the defense and he is that.

serghei

I was mostly bothered by his arrogance. He's all over the place from all point of views, form, physical level, tactically, and instead of knowing his place and keeping it simple, he was fooling around 20-30m. away form his normal position trying to prove god knows what.

Basic zonal defending indicates that you don't follow an opponent around except until he leaves your zone, because if you leave a big gap in defense, other opponents will attack that hole and rip you apart. Umtiti followed his opponents around like an idiot, leaving acres of space behind in his position. He was then slow as hell to go back. In that time our players had to play catch-up to try to plug the holes he left behind by being rash and acting arrogant.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I get that he's not an RCB and I get that he's been out for a while.

I know Lenglet was bad but Umtiti looked so slow at doing everything His reaction speed, positioning his thinking was so slow and he let even Bacca of all players easily beat him when he came on and scored. I wonder why Murillo wasn't called up. He's a RCB and in much better shape than Titi is.

serghei

I get that he's not an RCB and I get that he's been out for a while.

I know Lenglet was bad but Umtiti looked so slow at doing everything His reaction speed, positioning his thinking was so slow and he let even Bacca of all players easily beat him when he came on and scored. I wonder why Murillo wasn't called up. He's a RCB and in much better shape than Titi is.

You know the issue with Valverde, don't you? Umtiti is still a senior in the squad and a big name. And he of course gets to play based only on that basically.

Havesaks

Umtiti is one of our own, and murillo is a mercenary. Ofc we will give playing time to our before season start 1./2. choice defender, to regain fitness. I think some fans are just impossible to please.

Arizona Scott

You know the issue with Valverde, don't you? Umtiti is still a senior in the squad and a big name. And he of course gets to play based only on that basically.

Untiti is a much bigger name in world football than lenglet yet sure seems lenglet is the #1 for big games right now. Personally i think at his best a tad overrated (not top 3 cb in the world that many here contend, i would agree with top 10 or 12 at his very best).

In terms of murillo we got him on loan because valencia disnt see a role for him--maybe umtiti (and or course pique and lenglet) are just better than him and in umtiti maybe we are trying to get him back to top form.

Home of Barca Fans