Samuel Umtiti

behindbrowneyes

His current market value is 2M. Even when he says he is in the best shape of his life. Deep inside he knows he is an ex-footballer. With this extension he has extended his professional career (training and being part of the squad) on a top level for 3 more years. With his old contract, ending in 2023, he would've been very likely a retiree at the age of 29.

From what we've seen from him in the last year: Do you think it's possible a club will give him a contract? A loan is the best he can get and he'll get sent back afterwards. He has the traits to be a top defender, but the knees just aren't there anymore. 10 years older Alves is in a much better shape (talking about legs, not about fitness aesthetics) than Umtiti.

Andresito

Staff member
I can see French teams at level of Monaco and Lens offering him contracts. But I can't see him leaving Barca willingly to go there.

He'll probably end his career in a high paying country either in the Middle East or USA after Barca. He's still a big name, could easily market him as the 2018 WC winner to the yanks and get a relatively fat salary.

Messi983

His current market value is 2M. Even when he says he is in the best shape of his life. Deep inside he knows he is an ex-footballer. With this extension he has extended his professional career (training and being part of the squad) on a top level for 3 more years. With his old contract, ending in 2023, he would've been very likely a retiree at the age of 29.

From what we've seen from him in the last year: Do you think it's possible a club will give him a contract? A loan is the best he can get and he'll get sent back afterwards. He has the traits to be a top defender, but the knees just aren't there anymore. 10 years older Alves is in a much better shape (talking about legs, not about fitness aesthetics) than Umtiti.

Again, he won't be here until 2026. We'll pay out the rest of his contract in summer 2023. This is just a financial maneuver to help the club through next 6-18 months.

Alemany is basically playing moneyball. Similar to how NFL teams manipulate their salary cap problems when for example they convert players wages into signing bonuses (that are divided on length of players contract; similar as amortization of players). Different sports, different rules and different language but really the same goal from a financial perspective. I think general salary cap will eventually come to European football so maybe having experience dealing with these issues now will also help the club longterm. And there are examples in NFL (probably NHL and NBA too but I don't follow them too closely) we could learn from. Pushing your debt into future is far from ideal but sometimes is the only (and in Umtiti's case probably the best) way to deal with problems.

behindbrowneyes

Again, he won't be here until 2026. We'll pay out the rest of his contract in summer 2023. This is just a financial maneuver to help the club through next 6-18 months.

Alemany is basically playing moneyball. Similar to how NFL teams manipulate their salary cap problems when for example they convert players wages into signing bonuses (that are divided on length of players contract; similar as amortization of players). Different sports, different rules and different language but really the same goal from a financial perspective. I think general salary cap will eventually come to European football so maybe having experience dealing with these issues now will also help the club longterm. And there are examples in NFL (probably NHL and NBA too but I don't follow them too closely) we could learn from. Pushing your debt into future is far from ideal but sometimes is the only (and in Umtiti's case probably the best) way to deal with problems.

I believe it when I see it.

I know the reason behind it and I fully understand why the club is doing that atm. Thing is everybody expects finances and more importantly salary cap to relax, which is likely to happen alone from the fact that spectators in the stadium are back and we'll get one or another new sponsor. Also, the club has done a lot to reduce masa salarial (salaries + amortizations) which improves our starting position after all.

However, the club has extended numerous contracts during the pandemic. Some, to extend the duration, some to spread expenses exponentially over the length of the contract. In other words: They'll earn the same over the length of the contract, but less now which will eventually cause higher salary expenses in next few years without signing new players. I know that they did it with Frenkie, Lenglet and MAtS. Ansu and Pedri signed a similar contract with growing salary and I'm pretty sure Nico, Gavi and Araujo will get the same payment structure as their salary will grow along with our revenue, at least that's the plan to get out of this situation without saving the club to death.

Should the option turn out to be true it's great for the club as it gives them two options, but we'll see how they decide in summer 2023: Paying out the rest means paying him 3 years salary in one payment which still will be at least 10M at once. Saving 6,4M (if they decide to keep him) of cap space (f)or 1 spot in the squad list. This might be a harder decision in 2023 than it looks now. We'll want to sign new players which will further burden the masa salarial with their amortization and salary along with growing salaries of current players. Our salary cap will rise, but these are things to consider... Espai Barca will more or less refinance itself, but building work will have an impact on the capacity of Camp Nou and therefore on the income.

I know club saved a lot because by Leo and Griezmann leaving and there likely will be income through Trincao and Griezmann sales, but will it be enough to have that 10M of cap space left over to restructure the squad with necessary reinforcements? We'll see, but I doubt paying Umtiti out in 2023 will be the no brainer you make it look like.

Last edited:

Messi983

I know club saved a lot because by Leo and Griezmann leaving and there likely will be income through Trincao and Griezmann sales, but will it be enough to have that 10M of cap space left over to restructure the squad with necessary reinforcements? We'll see, but I doubt paying Umtiti out in 2023 will be the no brainer you make it look like.

We'll see but I'm convinced he'll be gone in 2023.

Raki13

Another farcical situation , this clown is going to hang around like a bad smell for years more.
Theres no chance anybody is buying him and every chance he will sit it out for the next 4-5 years not even playing , it just goes from bad to worse with the idiots who run the club.

Home of Barca Fans