Scott Parker

BerkeleyBernie

Maybe the best British holding/distributing midfielder out there at the moment. Xavi-eque 360s and movement off the ball- of course, this being the EPL, most of his teammates don't move relative to him (i.e. take advantage of his movement to find a new position).

With him and Jack Wilshere, England might be able to build a national team that is more than their usual mediocrity.

BerkeleyBernie

Parker is good.........but not that good.

I'm not saying Parker is one of the top in the world (hell, Spain probably has the first 5 spots locked up). But what *English* player is doing what Parker does better (controlling the ball in the midfield and distributing the ball *accurately*)?

Aasim

Bumbleman
I'm not saying Parker is one of the top in the world (hell, Spain probably has the first 5 spots locked up). But what *English* player is doing what Parker does better (controlling the ball in the midfield and distributing the ball *accurately*)?

For me he is the best destructive DM England have. Makelele-esqe in his distribution and very good tackler. Plus a great leader as shown during his West Ham days. Can't really believe Wenger didn't even sniff him..

Of course if Hargreaves wasn't a crock, Parker wouldn't be in the squad.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End

Gerrard, Wilshere, Barton, Rodwell, Milner (and when fit Hargreaves).

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
He didn't ask about his short passing game he asked about distributing the ball accurately and from what I have seen of Barton he does that.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Well you don't need to be a CM to control and distribute the ball and as I said last season and this season Barton has impressed me a lot. I would say he is on the same level as Parker - not better and not worse.

Sewelly

In his four years at the club I can count the number of good games Barton had in the centre of midfield on one hand. My point is he can't play there and certainly can't do the role that Parker plays.

Only reason Barton had such a good season last year was because we finally stumbled across a position that gave him the space and time to utilise his crossing and to an extent passing. Plus he had a striker to aim for who could make the most of even the most average of delivery. He's a very limited player in all honesty. Can't tackle, doesn't impose himself physically at all, doesn't really score goals, can't dribble, innacarate distribution when he doesn't have hours of time on the ball, has a ludicrous penchant for the hollywood pass when other options are on.

I don't even rate Parker that highly, but there is a massive misconception of what type of player Barton is and how good he is.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
he's not on Xavi's level (only La Pulga and Andrésito are) but he's a fucking great player.

apart from looking like someone from the 50's (that haircut :worthy: ) and having a journeyman career, and of course committing the cardinal sin of being English, he's the business. United were looking to spend I dunno how much on Sneijder, and they do need him, but £10m for Parker? admittedly if Fletcher gets back to his best it would be redundant, but that's a big if and Parker would be a magnificent partner for someone like Cleverley.

the other top clubs could really use him too.

Arsenal could use him to provide a platform for their creative midfielders.

Chelsea could use him because he's better than Mikel.

City could use him because he's better than Barry and about as good as De Jong.

excellent bit of business from 'Arry.

Home of Barca Fans