Sergi Roberto

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sergi Roberto had a decent game vs. Alaves. Didn't see him impose himself in midfield though.
Looked more comfortable dribbling and making runs instead of keeping possession so I guess he's more like Iniesta than Xavi.

Garrus

Xavi hasn't been always this conservative and focused on possession, In 2008-2009 he was much more attack minded, He had 20 assists just in la liga, And scored 10 goals in that season, But after that season he started to focus more on controlling the game and dictating the tempo than getting near the goal.

I think sergi is the closest player we have to replace xavi.

Trickykid

Xavi hasn't been always this conservative and focused on possession, In 2008-2009 he was much more attack minded, He had 20 assists just in la liga, And scored 10 goals in that season, But after that season he started to focus more on controlling the game and dictating the tempo than getting near the goal.

I think sergi is the closest player we have to replace xavi.

I don't quite agree with your assessment of Xavi here. As far as I recall, his best season, scoring wise, was last season, where we often saw him getting into more scoring situations than we've been used to. He seemed to play a little less deep, as Busi would often advance and take up portions of Xavis old roaming area.

When that is said, I don't think Sergi Roberto is anything like Xavi what so ever. To me Roberto seems way more direct, and much more of a box to box midfielder than Xavi has ever been. I don't see him dictate play much, and I honestly doubt that is his strenght. But he's young of course, and has plenty time to evolve his style, but I'd be really surprised if he ever get's a Xavi-like role with Barca.

P

PhilS

Tito gave him quite a vote of confidence in the post-match interview. I'm sure he will stay Barca B for the rest of this season, so he can get playing time there. But we'll see him a lot with the first team, with some more starts. I'm looking forward to him being promoted for next season, I agree with Tito that he is likely to have a long career with the first team.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
I noticed some people slating Roberto off in the match thread. After re-watching the game, I began wondering what's the negativity all about.

He played a decent game in overall, doing the simple things right. During the first half he played much deeper and kept the game flowing without trying anything risky or too ballsy. During the second half, despite of playing much further up, he still contributed well to the game.

Good too see him gaining some important minutes with the first team, which will definitely do him plenty of good.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I think I started that... I said I don't get the hype, just to clarify I didn't say he sucked or even that he had a bad game, is just that he strikes me as just a correct player and nothing else...

Some people have labeled him as our next big midfielder, but to be honest I don't see it, and as I said in the match thread, maybe I'm missing something because, to be fair, I haven't followed him that much except for his matches with the first team and a handful with the B team... From what I've seen I'm not sure if he's a CM or an AM, or neither, or both, hahaha...

My main complain is that he holds on too much on the ball, sort of like Song, except Roberto is a much better dribbler...

USWAY

I think he's a good squad player who can be an asset in the team with his ability to play all through the midfield. Nothing like "new-Xavi" like people were saying.

Boris

just to clarify I didn't say he sucked or even that he had a bad game, is just that he strikes me as just a correct player and nothing else...

Some people have labeled him as our next big midfielder, but to be honest I don't see it,
Same here. He just looks ordinary. Even Xavi said that Roberto has potential, so let's trust him for now.

Home of Barca Fans