Sergi Roberto

GiantKiller

I have to say, I was quite impressed by his play. Clever first touches, has good control and dribbling skills, quick passing and looks like he'll be as energetic as a box-to-box midfielder as he continues to develop physically. Too bad he was injured in the second half. >.>

As for loan move, a question for all who've been following him. Is he moving to Espanyol until the end of the season because he wasn't getting enough playing time or because he isn't playing as well for some reason?

yahudi

As for loan move, a question for all who've been following him. Is he moving to Espanyol until the end of the season because he wasn't getting enough playing time or because he isn't playing as well for some reason?

He wasn't really consistent for Barca B this season, but other than Deulofeu and Alberto the whole team wasn't as well.

A loan would give Sergi playing time in the highest Spanish league without moving to another city. Espanyol is in dire need of creativity if they want to avoid relegation

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I have to say, I was quite impressed by his play. Clever first touches, has good control and dribbling skills, quick passing and looks like he'll be as energetic as a box-to-box midfielder as he continues to develop physically. Too bad he was injured in the second half. >.>

Agreed...Truth is, I have a hard time figuring him out...Sometimes I get the impression he's merely a system player but on occasion he flashes brilliance like he did at times against Cordoba...Love his attitude and professionalism, quality player

BerkeleyBernie

Thought he was one of the best players on the pitch vs Cordoba, certainly one of the more mature Bs, and better than Song by a long shot. Knew when to protect the ball, and when to attack. Him, Cesc, and Thiago controlled the mid in the first half. When he came off in the second half, the game got much sloppier, as only Thiago was left to manage the rhythm.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Honestly i have trouble seeing where he would fit in. In the future Thiago will be the rhythm of the midfield. Cesc will provide the creative spark and final killer passes. Busquets will be the foundation as he always has been for the past 4 years (he will probably get much better with age and retire in his very late 30's or early 40's so get used to him). Samper will be slowly integrated if he succeeds but we won't know what he's like for a while. Roberto at best could be a midfield power-sub we have to give more players rest and provide squad depth. He's the jack of all trades but master of none. He's a great player but if all the other youngsters continue progressing like this i can't see him being a starter.

BerkeleyBernie

Honestly i have trouble seeing where he would fit in. In the future Thiago will be the rhythm of the midfield. Cesc will provide the creative spark and final killer passes. Busquets will be the foundation as he always has been for the past 4 years (he will probably get much better with age and retire in his very late 30's or early 40's so get used to him). Samper will be slowly integrated if he succeeds but we won't know what he's like for a while. Roberto at best could be a midfield power-sub we have to give more players rest and provide squad depth. He's the jack of all trades but master of none. He's a great player but if all the other youngsters continue progressing like this i can't see him being a starter.

True. You never know. Not every quality La Masia product will end up at Barça.

Garrus

This is just a short-term type of thinking, You don't what how he'll develop over the years, And you just assume lots of stuff in your post.

GiantKiller

Thought he was one of the best players on the pitch vs Cordoba, certainly one of the more mature Bs, and better than Song by a long shot. Knew when to protect the ball, and when to attack. Him, Cesc, and Thiago controlled the mid in the first half. When he came off in the second half, the game got much sloppier, as only Thiago was left to manage the rhythm.

True. I wanted to see both Sergi and Thiago against Cordoba but I also feared the chance that Barca would be find it difficult to establish control in the midfield. In the end, I have to say, I was a bit surprised by how well the two played.

jamrock

They were bossing the 2nd division under Luis together so it shouldn't have been to big of a surprise

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
This is just a short-term type of thinking, You don't what how he'll develop over the years, And you just assume lots of stuff in your post.

I'm not saying it's certain. I'm just saying that if things continue the way they are right now in terms of his development and the development of other youth products, he will probably end up as the odd one out. But by all means i am hoping he does find success. I'd actually be interested to see how he does in other teams if not at Barca. Maybe a loan would do some good for him.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I agree with Iniesta123, Roberto would find it difficult to get any playing time at Barca within the next couple of seasons. After that he could perhaps play the Keita role if things turn out well, but Cesc is a similar type of player.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I agree with Iniesta123, Roberto would find it difficult to get any playing time at Barca within the next couple of seasons. After that he could perhaps play the Keita role if things turn out well, but Cesc is a similar type of player.

Exactly. I'd actually rather keep Roberto than sell him because he could be a midfield utility man like Adriano has been for defense. He's well rounded in all roles of midfield, he's grown up with the Barcelona philosophy and tiki taka style of play, and can provide good squad depth and allow other players to rest or he can take over during injuries. I know that this role isn't the most glamorous but any person in the club will tell you that this kind of role is actually one of the most vital. Tito sees this and knows that Roberto will be an important player for Barcelona if he chooses to stay. Although since he is short on playing time for the next few seasons a loan to Espanyol will help him develop into a better player and become more useful for us.

Home of Barca Fans