Sergi Roberto

serghei

Since we are talking about a prime Alves. Basically a top dribbler, passer, goalscorer and defender. He had far less space to work with, and almost effortlessly and nonchalantly carved out stifling defences in tandem with messi's speed of play. His ball skills unsettled opponents and created space for his teammates. His over the defence no-look ball to messi was a thing of beauty. An able goalscorer including dead ball situations. Our elite fourth attacker. Defensively, almost always got the better of prime CR. Alves was skills, intelligence and endless stamina to boot. His potential successor should show quality and consistency over two seasons atleast to be mentioned in the same breath. May be you can qualify Roberto as more tenacious and purposeful over a declining Alves, but a prime Alves, not even close.

Agree. He probably won't ever be better than prime Alves. It's a tall order. But this performance was close to that level, don't you think? I think, if he keeps this form, there's no other RB better than him that we could sign.

What he won't be close to Alves at is breaking the mold for what are the "normal" roles of a RB, because Alves took over more duties than a normal fullback, just because he could do all those things. Roberto doesn't reinvent anything and doesn't necessarily have those wow moments that Alves had, but is playing great as a prety classic way, and that's awesome as well.

Last edited:

Raketa10

He is GREAT but if he gets injured we will be screwed and he can't play every single game.
We have to find a substitute who can provide a necessary rest for him or we should give Vidal one more chance. We can't endure entire season with just one RB!!!

It is also stupid to change entire system to 3-4-3 every time Roberto is resting or is out of the squad!

Jombi

Agree. He probably won't ever be better than prime Alves. It's a tall order. But this performance was close to that level, don't you think? I think, if he keeps this form, there's no other RB better than him that we could sign.

What he won't be close to Alves at is breaking the mold for what are the "normal" roles of a RB, because Alves took over more duties than a normal fullback, just because he could do all those things. Roberto doesn't reinvent anything and doesn't necessarily have those wow moments that Alves had, but is playing great as a prety classic way, and that's awesome as well.

Roberto's back heel assist last season was as "wow" as anything you guys mention of Alves here. And bringing up Alves' free kicks? Man, his free kicks were more often than not really cringe worthy. I also dont think Alves' "reinvented" anything, but thats another story.

[youtube]/watch?v=Qrlu7UIyxSo[/youtube]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Early days, but ready to eat a humble pie already.

Roberto :worthy:

:worthy: :worthy:

More than Alves or anyone else, I think his style resembles Lahm more.

SahanBarca

Most chances(4) and most successful tackles(7) today , Let's see what he does against big teams like City and Real

14390919_695414557283559_843925799783723418_n.jpg

God Serena

Ridiculous performance from him. He's taken the RB position and secured it for years if he keeps this up.

Him not having a single backup is a huge worry, though.

BarçaBarça

I don't expect him to be consistently at his current level (crossing-wise e.g.) in every game, but less will do too.
He has shown a peak-level which is good enough to start for Barca in every kind of game. It's an open question if he can continue on that level for a whole season, but preparing a Bellerin-transfer would be madness. There are no guarantees when you bring in new players, so it really only makes sense to have faith in him, and bring a back-up to rest him.

Zincubus

Banned
I don't expect him to be consistently at his current level (crossing-wise e.g.) in every game, but less will do too.
He has shown a peak-level which is good enough to start for Barca in every kind of game. It's an open question if he can continue on that level for a whole season, but preparing a Bellerin-transfer would be madness. There are no guarantees when you bring in new players, so it really only makes sense to have faith in him, and bring a back-up to rest him.

That's a very level headed take on him.

My only concern would be how he 'really' feels about being demoted / crowbarred into the RB position after spending about 20 years wanting to be a midfield creator . I still think we're missing a trick with this lad . Everyone is rightly praising his performances at full back but just imagine how amazing he'd be in Rakitic's position given his current level of confidence ...

I always loved watching Sergi R when he played the odd game in midfield and I think that it will always be in his mind .

Home of Barca Fans