Sergi Roberto

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I thought he had several moments last night in defense where he revealed how he still isn't a defender first & foremost, seemed to routinely allow the winger to get past him or put a cross in - got the impression Celta were looking to attack from Roberto's flank. At other times, didn't close down in his defending third the way a fullback should.

So early anyway, he was getting beaten in defense and going forward never really was able to generate space through overlapping runs or stretching the defense

He wasn't the main problem but lack of depth at RB revealed itself if nothing else...but most of us knew this already

ini4ever

He seemed a little bit tired especially the last 30 minutes of second half, imo he shouldn't be, don't know but i remember Alves he never got tired of playing some games constantly and he would always deliver offensive stuffs at least if he sucked at defense, but Bob lacked of doing some successful runs this match never mind the defensive part. Anyway, I hope he doesn't get played these two upcoming fifa matches and get rested.

gasgas

Some barcaforum members in the future will use this performance to claim we need Bellerin
You heard it here first

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Unfortunately the Bellerin links are always going to be there for all the obvious reasons, we need a RB who can dig in as a defender when needed and provide an attacking outlet on offense

Ideally a young Dani Alves but legends are in short supply

Roberto in theory should only get better because of his intelligence but who will he learn his craft from I wonder, defending takes years to perfect

Jombi

Unfortunately the Bellerin links are always going to be there for all the obvious reasons, we need a RB who can dig in as a defender when needed and provide an attacking outlet on offense

Just like Sergi Roberto then.

Its absolutely ridiculous to use any cross a full back allows as "proof" that the player isnt good enough and not a "real full back". It was the same type of rhetoric used against Masche any time he made a mistake. Apparently "real defenders" never make any mistakes.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He is fucking tired... Was barely running after 30 mins. Fullbacks in football need a fucking substitute, and we have freaking Vidal.

Tired? Alves was like twice his age lol and run up and down up and down season after season game after game. Now Sergi is tired in the beginning of October?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Laporte is having a great season so far :coffee:

But no....gotta find someone else or give Marlon or Tarin a chance.

nibarcafans

Bit extreme in my opinion to tear Roberto down for last night's performance. It was a very poor all round team performance/some poor decisions from Enrique. Roberto didn't play well but he was far from the weakest link. Important to remember he has been one of our best players so far this season, despite still only having a handful of games as the first choice right back. We need right-back cover but everyone knew we needed that before the Celta Vigo game anyway

Bardh

A surprisingly poor performance last night but it's only a blip as he has done really well at RB and should be kept there for the time being. Bellerin in the long-term is a good choice.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Just like Sergi Roberto then.

Its absolutely ridiculous to use any cross a full back allows as "proof" that the player isnt good enough and not a "real full back". It was the same type of rhetoric used against Masche any time he made a mistake. Apparently "real defenders" never make any mistakes.

True defenders defend first, Roberto does not have typical defensive instincts - only natural since he's largely played and been schooled as a midfielder moving possession forward.

Sergi, I have no doubts will improve but as a defender he currently lacks the technique & aggression required to platoon the flank.

Your hyperbole aside about mistakes, Roberto was repeatedly getting beat by Celta's wingers to get past him or put the ball into the box. As a fullback, you cannot be repeatedly beaten in any aspect of your game

Hysaj would be an interesting option to platoon with Sergi but apparently has an enormous buyout clause

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans