Sergi Roberto

PhilS

Sergio has a job, staring at RB. He has played better than Semedo. Face facts, his defense at RB has been fine this season. Must play somewhere, he is needed at RB now.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He has not played better than Semedo.

He must not play somewhere. He's Sergi Roberto, not Lionel Messi.

But if he must play somewhere, it should be in Rakitic's position.

As for your question @Origami

While I want him to get a run in the midfield, I don't think he'll be a starter for Barca long-term. Eventually better midfielders will take his place simply because they are more talented and that actually is a fact. Roberto has transformed into a good player who got some nice attributes such as his bursting runs and stamina, but you only need to compare him to a former La Masia graduate he played with to notice the difference in quality. You know who I am talking about. In fact in his age group you have other players such as Koke and Isco too.

Roberto is a part of the supporting cast. He's not going to be a lead star which Barcelona have to revert back to, find a true WC midfielder or two.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Do we truly need a WC player on every position though?

We'll need a World Class midfield or a more talented midfield able to create and stand out eventually, true to its core. Messi is not going to be here forever doing both.

Coutinho is the same age as Roberto and he's a better and far more talented midfielder. Alenya even if still at Barca B and a lot of things can happen, is still a more talented midfielder than Roberto was at his age. He's the star of the team while Roberto again back then was a part of the supporting cast.

We might argue that Roberto need a platform to succeed, and he's such a hard worker and got a couple of really good attributes which can help him become a good midfielder for us, but eventually we will sign or develop a more talented midfielder who will take his place. We're already trying to sign one and we might even develop one already mentioned very soon.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Right now Roberto deserves a chance over Rakitic but agreed if we get better Midfielders Roberto will be a valuable asset like the 12th man you can say.

I view Paulinho the same way, I can't see Paulinho nailing down a starting spot but I think he would also fit the 12th man sub as valuable asset.

Nothanks

If a team came knocking for sergi roberto 50m would you guys sell in this days market??

(totally hypothetical --- i'm aware his release clause is lower like 40m or whatever)

FinBarcelonafan

If a team came knocking for sergi roberto 50m would you guys sell in this days market??

(totally hypothetical --- i'm aware his release clause is lower like 40m or whatever)

We are not going to find someone as dedicated to Barcelona as Roberto is. 50 mil is not that much in this market. Heck Rakitic and Paulonhos cost 40+ million these days. Roberto is worth more in my eyes. His versality helps this team a lot.

khaled_a_d

While it is true there are certain situation that we could use the money for the better of the team, that is highly unlikely,so answer is no.

Nothanks

I get iffy with players who i think are in the too good to be bench / not good enough for starter position

Like in my "ideal" first 11 for barca includes a different style midfielder than the rakitics, Goretzka, sergi robertos
the verratis, thiagos, xavis controlling type is what I like to imagine we'd want (granted i know its very hard to find those players)

so if a team came knocking for 50m I prob wouldn't sell either but lets say they come with 60-70m I would find it hard to say no.

Neymessi

I get iffy with players who i think are in the too good to be bench / not good enough for starter position

Like in my "ideal" first 11 for barca includes a different style midfielder than the rakitics, Goretzka, sergi robertos
the verratis, thiagos, xavis controlling type is what I like to imagine we'd want (granted i know its very hard to find those players)

so if a team came knocking for 50m I prob wouldn't sell either but lets say they come with 60-70m I would find it hard to say no.

Wouldn't sell roberto for even that. If played to his potantial he is defintely irreplacable with what he can bring and how diverse he can get.

God Serena

Roberto is one of our most consistent quality performers and can fill the role of multiple positions better or nearly as good as our starters and backups. What would we be able to buy for 50m or even 60-70 that would be as useful?

Nothanks

If we got a lot of money for him the only right thing to do is invest in young talent that can be better than our current starter in a specific role and not a 7/10 in every role
again this is all hypothetical lol

like say a dembele

Alik

If we got a lot of money for him the only right thing to do is invest in young talent that can be better than our current starter in a specific role and not a 7/10 in every role
again this is all hypothetical lol

like say a dembele

Dembele cost 140M€. Not 70M€. Find an offer for Sergi Roberto of 140M€ and I'd take it.

Home of Barca Fans