Sergi Roberto

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Thanks for that reminder, buddy. Brings back memories to a holiday in Cannes where I and my youngest brother where looking for a bar to watch the game in and when we first discovered that Roberto was playing as a right back our initial thought was that Lucho had smoked something interesting. After the game we were silenced and at one point in time I remember us discussing whether we had found the substitute of Alves. In hindsight that was a silly talk and blind faith but compared to today, that version of Roberto was twice the RB.

Also who can forget the 0-4 win against RM at the Bernabéu in November of 2015 where SR was one of the better players and had an outstanding game. Sure, not as a RB, but we have not seen such a performance ever since. I miss that version of SR.

However more than that, I miss a prime Dani Alves. A thing of beauty. In particularly the debut season where he took everyone with storm and began that amazing partnership with Messi. That autumn of 2008 where Pep's team was beginning to form and the dynamics that later would change the club's history and that of football's history, were very exciting times after those two previous very disappointing seasons.

He delivered at least 2 equally great performances against Madrid after that. 0-3 at Bernabeu last season and this season's trashing, Roberto was amazing in both. Don't forget his great run to set up Messi and get us the win in the 16/17 season (3-2 at home).

Vilarrubi

The difference in quality between Roberto and Alves is mental. No top team would have Roberto as starting RB other than us.

Zidane82

He delivered at least 2 equally great performances against Madrid after that. 0-3 at Bernabeu last season and this season's trashing, Roberto was amazing in both. Don't forget his great run to set up Messi and get us the win in the 16/17 season (3-2 at home).

So that's THREE good performances...

BusiTheKing

I'll agree that he hasn't been up to snuff, but RB is a conspicuously difficult position to play in our system. You're isolated in attack and get very poor support from Pique defensively. Basically, if Sergi Roberto doesn't downright win every duel, there's a very big chance that it will lead to a dangerous situation. If that was true for our opponents, for example, we'd be in for a chance everytime Messi or Dembele goes past someone, which is far from reality.

Zidane82

I'll agree that he hasn't been up to snuff, but RB is a conspicuously difficult position to play in our system. You're isolated in attack and get very poor support from Pique defensively. Basically, if Sergi Roberto doesn't downright win every duel, there's a very big chance that it will lead to a dangerous situation. If that was true for our opponents, for example, we'd be in for a chance everytime Messi or Dembele goes past someone, which is far from reality.

Thing is he bombs forward time and time again as Alba does but Roberto doesn't have the speed or desire to get back into position and that's what costs us . He also constantly tries little cute passes inside which more often than not get cut out and lead to dangerous counter attacks on our goal .
He's a complete liability but luckily Messi likes him

Arizona Scott

I say go ahead and have Semedo start about 75% of the matches. Allow Roberto to get as fresh as possible and see how NS does with lots of 1st team real squad time.

But Roberto is a good squad player (just watching @Getafe again and he was very good, Alba and Lenglet side was the bigger problem that kept this match tense) and gives lots of options on a team sheet. It is not like he is individually a problem but our right side can be slow. I hope he doesn't play tomorrow except for spot duty so he is fully ready for Sevilla part II.

not the best player, but is good for marketing

-4th captain
-great moments (6-1 v PSG, Clasico etc.)
-on board outside nou camp ahead of coutinho, dembele etc.
-only recent regular la masia player
-catalan

.... therefore he is needed and must start ahead of scared semedo.

Zidane82

not the best player, but is good for marketing

-4th captain
-great moments (6-1 v PSG, Clasico etc.)
-on board outside nou camp ahead of coutinho, dembele etc.
-only recent regular la masia player
-catalan

.... therefore he is needed and must start ahead of scared semedo.

Those are poor reasons to crowbar him into our team !'

Arizona Scott

It really isnt that complicated. At the moment roberto does some thing better than semedo at right back, the reverse is true also. We all want semedo to unambiguously show he is a better rb and the team plays better with him--but he has to prove it in real matches and the results stating mixed, so best thing is a bit of a platoon. Could care less about the la masia connection except to the degree it effects connection with players on the pitch/better team play.

Messigician

Hahaha he always gives a world class performance against Real Madrid, when Umtiti is back and Roberto is back on form he will be great again.

Cule4life

The Culest
Hahaha he always gives a world class performance against Real Madrid, when Umtiti is back and Roberto is back on form he will be great again.

Yeah and we're lucky we get to play all our matches against Madrid only. One shudders to think what would happen if we didn't.

EdmondDantes

Now that Roberto is a sure starter at right-back, is Valverde going to shoehorn one of his captains Roberto in midfield? With Rakitic, Vidal and even Busquets being sub-par of late, I wouldn't doubt it.

It seems he's incapable if keeping Sergi on the bench.

Arizona Scott

Now that Roberto is a sure starter at right-back, is Valverde going to shoehorn one of his captains Roberto in midfield? With Rakitic, Vidal and even Busquets being sub-par of late, I wouldn't doubt it.

It seems he's incapable if keeping Sergi on the bench.

Those others are better midfielders than roberto is. They see the field better and better anticipate threats from different directions. I think he functions better on the wings where he does not have to process as much information quickly.

Roberto may no longer be best rb on the team, but he also isn't one of the 4 best midfielders. Either way a very good utility player to have.

Home of Barca Fans