Sergi Roberto

Messi983

Reports are Xavi has given his approval to Roberto's renewal but still no agreement with the club.

Edit:

Oh, well then...

@HelenaCondis]| Next week a final meeting regarding the renewal of Sergi Roberto. Xavi trusts him. Negotiations will start from scratch. #FCBlive

Last edited:

mc_lovin

These are exactly the things you want to hear when you are thinking about a rebuild.

What do people expect? If the forum had it's way Frenkie would probably be our oldest player :lol:

Rebuild doesn't mean we have to kick out every veteran (applies to Busquets as well, who can still add a lot). In Roberto's case it's mainly the issue of salary for me. He should be on 80-100K/week at best. And that's generous.

khaled_a_d

What do people expect? If the forum had it's way Frenkie would probably be our oldest player :lol:

Rebuild doesn't mean we have to kick out every veteran (applies to Busquets as well, who can still add a lot). In Roberto's case it's mainly the issue of salary for me. He should be on 80-100K/week at best. And that's generous.

You need balance in the squad without doubt, going full youth will make us the new Arsenal for sure.
But we also need to be selective, for example I liked Aguero signing, didn't care much that he is 33 as long as he can provide a help from the bench 50% of games.
Now with his heart condition, it is awful signing because he isn't helping.

Regarding Busquets and Robert:
-Roberto became more injury prone and lost a good portion of his quickness, he was very quick for a midfielder and average one for fullback, that was 4 or 5 years ago.
Seeing what happened with the likes of Umtiti and MATS, with an older player like Roberto I wonder if it is smart decision to keep him.
But as you said, salary is big issue because at the end of the day Roberto is a versatile bench player who gets his minutes when other players are injured/suspended, so him on reasonable salary and number of years won't bite us in the ass later. At worst it will be meh kind of deal that every club including successful one has done before.

-As for Busquets, I think the issue is deeper
I mean help me here, tell me a player in this club who was 34 (Busquets age next season) at start of a season that was starter through that season? I have been a fan of the club for over 20 years and I am not sure I remember correctly
Messi, Xavi, Puyol, Alves, Iniesta didn't make it as starter till that age.
Only 2 I remember? Thuram in 06/07 and that was due to Marquez injury at the end of the season iirc (wasn't starter in CL) and Pique in current season is in his way to end it starting most games.
In both cases, the players really weren't Barca level starter.

Busquets has been a liability for few years now, and it is going one way, initially it was his defense in counters, then his overall defense and now it is his on the ball skills. He is now being targeted by opponents.

Then again, can Busquets be helpful? sure, as bench player who is well rested I think he can.
But is he getting that bench type of treatment? I doubt it, team captain who is coached by a guy who is his biggest fan.
It is just we can't afford Busquets as starter for another year, and he probably wants playing time for the World Cup. we just need to move on from him.

We can't keep Alba (33), Busquets (34), Roberto (30), Pique (35) as squad players next season. not even 2 of those should stay and Alba is going to stay.
At least one needs to leave.

What we need is more players aged 25-28 in the mercato, we have enough youth and overload of old players.

PS: I am speaking about next season because we already have the squad set for this year, no one is coming to take minutes from those two in the winter

Givenchy

It's too early for him to manage Barca, as others have said. Amigos will run (walk) riot under him with the likes of Puig growing even more entitled. Asking a former player to come back and manage a team with players he played alongside still in the team will be tough

Not a hater either, love the guy and would love nothing more than for him to succeed here

serghei

We can't keep Alba (33), Busquets (34), Roberto (30), Pique (35) as squad players next season. not even 2 of those should stay and Alba is going to stay.
At least one needs to leave.

What we need is more players aged 25-28 in the mercato, we have enough youth and overload of old players.

PS: I am speaking about next season because we already have the squad set for this year, no one is coming to take minutes from those two in the winter

Busi and Pique should be out, but to be honest it's very rare for a new manager to out players before giving them a chance. It's only after seeing them at work and seeing their physical level at first hand in training sessions and such, should he make the call to drop them. That's only fair.

Busi is a problem only if he is seen as a sure starter. We don't know that to be the case, speaking highly about legends is one thing, playing them as sure starters is another. If it's gonna be the case, we have to see how he will play, but if he plays the same and is not benched fast, that will cause a big problem for Xavi. He will have to drop him or he will make a fool out of himself when speaking about running and speed of play, since Busi is a disaster at keeping the pace of passing high. There is also a small possibility that Busquets will put in better performances, and will play based on the same arguments that make Busi play as starter under Luis Enrique (you rate Lucho highly as a manager right?).

Alba can play. No problem with him IMO, still serviceable for about 2 seasons. Roberto borderline. Pique out for sure, and Busi next.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Busi and Pique should be out, but to be honest it's very rare for a new manager to out players before giving them a chance. It's only after seeing them at work and seeing their physical level at first hand in training sessions and such, should he make the call to drop them. That's only fair.

Busi is a problem only if he is seen as a sure starter. We don't know that to be the case, speaking highly about legends is one thing, playing them as sure starters is another. If it's gonna be the case, we have to see how he will play, but if he plays the same and is not benched fast, that will cause a big problem for Xavi. He will have to drop him or he will make a fool out of himself when speaking about running and speed of play, since Busi is a disaster at keeping the pace of passing high. There is also a small possibility that Busquets will put in better performances, and will play based on the same arguments that make Busi play as starter under Luis Enrique (you rate Lucho highly as a manager right?).

Alba can play. No problem with him IMO, still serviceable for about 2 seasons. Roberto borderline. Pique out for sure, and Busi next.

Here is what I said in his thread:

Xavi will be judged by the product on the pitch, like every other coach, not wtf moments from journalists.
That is only fair.

That said, just like there is an optimism around him for his history, there are worrisome signs.
At then end how good actually he is as a coach will decide, not being late penalties

So, I am not going to judge Xavi now, what we are speaking today is speculations based on tabloids, since we are football fans obsesses with this game and the club enough to be in this forum, then sure as hell we will speculate about this stuff :lol:

I rate Lucho, but also Busquets was great either in short spurts like WC qualifications, and in the Euros. The later he had extra rest for asymptomatic Covid and was brilliant in 1st 3 games, against Italy he was exposed by 2nd half.
For that I have issue trusting him as a starter week in week out, nah too risky man. I also question Busquets fit with FDJ tbh.

Home of Barca Fans