Sergi Roberto

MTL_Barca

MD or Sport (iirc MD) said a few days ago that it was a low cost signing for not two, but three positions.

Can't argue with that logic really. The only downside is that we can't play him in those three positions at once.

Another small downside is that he's shit at all 3 of those positions. :coffee:

Depends on what "low cost" really means there because so far he was overpaid as hell. Even half of that would still be too much.

It also looks like even with his versatility we'll still sign old bums for depth. For RB we'll probably keep Alves and sign Azpi, so if anything we sell Dest and then have 3 old shit RBs. LB we may actually sign Alonso. And midfield we already have Kessie joining, most likely player leaving is Puig who is a non factor and maybe Nico on loan or something...but even then we don't need Roberto there. Unless we also sell Frenkie, but in that case they better sign another midfielder or it'll look pretty grim regardless of bum Roberto or not.

Well in the end he'll probably be our RB starter again so yeah whatever :lol:

Last edited:

LFCB

Why is he staying, does anyone actually have the answer? It sets such a bad precedent in what is supposed to be a new era.

Andresito

Staff member
Why is he staying, does anyone actually have the answer? It sets such a bad precedent in what is supposed to be a new era.

Because we can't sign people left and right. He doesn't add quality but he adds versatility. He'll be Xavi's last ditch option at RB, DM and CM.

If we (worst case) end up not being able to register likes of Kessie and Christensen, having Roberto as a squad player for a year is OK. Not ideal, but could do worse.

Renewal is only bad if Xavi considers him to be a crucial piece, but I doubt they'd offer him a 1 year contract if that'd be the case. I very much doubt renewing Roberto is going to hinder other reinforcements.

BADGERBHOY

Because we can't sign people left and right. He doesn't add quality but he adds versatility. He'll be Xavi's last ditch option at RB, DM and CM.

If we (worst case) end up not being able to register likes of Kessie and Christensen, having Roberto as a squad player for a year is OK. Not ideal, but could do worse.

Renewal is only bad if Xavi considers him to be a crucial piece, but I doubt they'd offer him a 1 year contract if that'd be the case. I very much doubt renewing Roberto is going to hinder other reinforcements.

120k a week for a last ditch option.
In a normal situation thats stupid as fuck but in our totally skint predicament is unbelievable.

JamDav1982

The renewal of Roberto isnt just the club thinking he is worth 5/6m a season.

It is to do with his deferred wages that would have to be paid out if he leaves this summer.

I believe he is being paid some but not all of that in salary for next season as part of this 5/6m so the club clear some deferred wages.. less than would of have to if he leaves and still have him as a player.

If not for those deferred wages he wouldnt be getting this salary.

The want to sell Dest but no club so far is interested in him.

Iniesta Ultra

But perhaps I'm too cynical and what we saw last year was the lowest hanging fruit to achieve our goals, and next season we will get more of Xavi ideas implemented. Which he surely has a footballing mastermind for.

How generous of you, looked like fresh horseshit to me.

Andresito

Staff member
At least the contract is very much on Barca's terms, more of a take it or leave it offer. As compared to contracts of Araujo, Gavi etc.

Bar?a expected Roberto to reject the very low renewal offer, but he agreed. He had an offer from Italy, but he preferred to continue at the Camp Nou with a huge salary reduction. [@Benayadachraf]

raedkuwait

At least the contract is very much on Barca's terms, more of a take it or leave it offer. As compared to contracts of Araujo, Gavi etc.

Bar?a expected Roberto to reject the very low renewal offer, but he agreed. He had an offer from Italy, but he preferred to continue at the Camp Nou with a huge salary reduction. [@Benayadachraf]

How much is he getting, any thing over a mil a season
Is way way to much and this club has become a
Meme club.

Andresito

Staff member
Which is more than a 50% reduction it seems like. Earns about as much as Eric Garcia from what I can find, less than likes of Neto and Riqui.

Home of Barca Fans