Sergi Roberto

mc_lovin

-As for Busquets, I think the issue is deeper
I mean help me here, tell me a player in this club who was 34 (Busquets age next season) at start of a season that was starter through that season? I have been a fan of the club for over 20 years and I am not sure I remember correctly
Messi, Xavi, Puyol, Alves, Iniesta didn't make it as starter till that age.
Only 2 I remember? Thuram in 06/07 and that was due to Marquez injury at the end of the season iirc (wasn't starter in CL) and Pique in current season is in his way to end it starting most games.
In both cases, the players really weren't Barca level starter.

Busquets has been a liability for few years now, and it is going one way, initially it was his defense in counters, then his overall defense and now it is his on the ball skills. He is now being targeted by opponents.

Then again, can Busquets be helpful? sure, as bench player who is well rested I think he can.
But is he getting that bench type of treatment? I doubt it, team captain who is coached by a guy who is his biggest fan.
It is just we can't afford Busquets as starter for another year, and he probably wants playing time for the World Cup. we just need to move on from him.

We can't keep Alba (33), Busquets (34), Roberto (30), Pique (35) as squad players next season. not even 2 of those should stay and Alba is going to stay.
At least one needs to leave.

What we need is more players aged 25-28 in the mercato, we have enough youth and overload of old players.

PS: I am speaking about next season because we already have the squad set for this year, no one is coming to take minutes from those two in the winter

Not a fair assumption, is it? I am sure Busquets will accept any role given to him, but it has to come from the top. If you don't trust Xavi and want to take away his 'toy' then we are f**** anyway. That's no way to lead a team.

There's a natural progression, when we have a player who's better than Busquets I am sure he will find himself more often on the bench. I expect some signs of that this season already if everyone is back. Midfield looks quite deep with Gavi vs Pedri and Nico, Frenkie and Busi on the other side. Trust the process. Just kicking out players to 'replace' them never worked.

Agree about Pique though, he adds nothing (or very, very little) for me. If Roberto and him are gone next I would be pretty happy.

JamDav1982

It is made out to be impossible to replace Busquets when far from it.

FDJ would be a better lone DM even if not his position but can go to two DMs similar to Ajax.

The issue with Busquets is that he is fucking atrocious far too often with zero come back and plays the next game. Players being that bad need to be accountable whether it be FDJ, change of formation or even likes of Sergi Roberto taking time in there.

Allowing players to be as poor as Busquets is and be untouchable goes right to centre of what has fucked the squad. That and the big money failures.

mc_lovin

It is made out to be impossible to replace Busquets when far from it.

FDJ would be a better lone DM even if not his position but can go to two DMs similar to Ajax.

The issue with Busquets is that he is fucking atrocious far too often with zero come back and plays the next game. Players being that bad need to be accountable whether it be FDJ, change of formation or even likes of Sergi Roberto taking time in there.

Allowing players to be as poor as Busquets is and be untouchable goes right to centre of what has fucked the squad. That and the big money failures.

Busquets is very replaceable, but not with our squad in the last few years. You seriously think a midfield with Roberto would have been better? Or Frenkie with Pedri and another kid (but not genuine talents like Nico or Gavi, because they only emerged this year. Probably Puig)?

As I said, we will see how things develop this season. We have decent rotational options for the first time in ages in midfield when everyone is back. If Busi then still plays 10 out of 10 times I will get pissed.

serghei

Not a fair assumption, is it? I am sure Busquets will accept any role given to him, but it has to come from the top. If you don't trust Xavi and want to take away his 'toy' then we are f**** anyway. That's no way to lead a team.

There's a natural progression, when we have a player who's better than Busquets I am sure he will find himself more often on the bench. I expect some signs of that this season already if everyone is back. Midfield looks quite deep with Gavi vs Pedri and Nico, Frenkie and Busi on the other side. Trust the process. Just kicking out players to 'replace' them never worked.

Agree about Pique though, he adds nothing (or very, very little) for me. If Roberto and him are gone next I would be pretty happy.

I see it pretty much the same. Trust the process, keep the intensity high, and we will see who wants it and who doesn't, or who can perform and who can't. That's more important IMO than making assumptions in the blind (fair enough that the forum is for these things too) based on who's Xavi's friend, who might be biased for or not. The man said he'll impose new standards and treat everyone the same. I'm gonna go with his word for now.

If he goes against his own ideas, then he'll burn his bridges, and I don't think he can afford to do that for anyone once he gets on this road.

I don't think it's fair to walk in a new team and say you, you, and you, pack up and go. The best thing would be to transmit everyone the same message, make everyone clear what the new rules and the new standards are. Give everyone a fair chance, and start the filtering process.

Problems will occur if the players he relies on aren't up to the task (especially in terms of physical shape, which is un-improvable at this stage, young players can gain experience by playing, old & finished players can't get motivated and younger again), and he doesn't react. Basically, the thing that happened before, with Busi and Pique being a disaster and playing starters whenever possible with no exceptions.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Watched the Memphis emoji video and only way Memphis could describe him is that he is "very humble". Every time people describe him that's only thing I hear how humble and nice he is.
Tells you a lot of about what his level of football is.

Messigician

Watched the Memphis emoji video and only way Memphis could describe him is that he is "very humble". Every time people describe him that's only thing I hear how humble and nice he is.

Yes Because they will say he is a phenomenon like Maradona?

La Masia is all about values and humble people

bizarrewitness

yikes...the things you guys say to support your views

Home of Barca Fans