Sergi Samper

Messi983

It's still to early to say that and give up on the kid. I don't know why he didn't play yesterday (maybe he got reinjured) but I believe he'll be an important player for Granada when healthy and return as better and more experienced player to us next year.

Granada has 7 or 8 players who joined in last two days of August transfer window so it's understandable that they are a bit of mess now but I think they'll get better in second half of the season like Paco's teams usually do.

God Serena

It looks to me like this will end with another wasted talent. He is not developing at all. His development stopped 2 years ago and since then he hasn’t moved at all.

Same thing is happening with Halilovic in HSV and with Deulofeu in England.

They will most probably end up as average players playing for some average club trough their entire career.

The kid has only been at Granada for a month (I think yesterday made it one month exactly lol) but you're already calling his loan a failure.

Raketa10

If you think he hasn't improved with the B team in the past two years you're basically saying he's as good now as he was with Juvenil A, which... Lol.

He will soon be 22 years old, and he is still nowhere near Barca first team material. I would say this is worrisome. And yes his development with B team was notably below expectations! When do you expect he starts performing? At age 27???

God Serena

He will soon be 22 years old, and he is still nowhere near Barca first team material. I would say this is worrisome. And yes his development with B team was notably below expectations! When do you expect he starts performing? At age 27???

22 isn't old at all and I wouldn't say he's "Nowhere near" ready, as he's on loan, which is usually reserved for those who are indeed almost ready.

Robbie

Has Barca ever loaned any players, then successfully brought them back into the first team? I don't think it's something common with most teams in general, especially for a 22 year old.

For Arsenal, Bellerin went to Watford, Song went to Charlton, and Bendtner went to Birmingham. All 3 did really well, and came back to be in the first team. They were 17 or 18 at the time, though. Not 22, and Barca is a bigger club with much more pressure put on players who want to be in the first team.

God Serena

Has Barca ever loaned any players, then successfully brought them back into the first team? I don't think it's something common with most teams in general, especially for a 22 year old.

For Arsenal, Bellerin went to Watford, Song went to Charlton, and Bendtner went to Birmingham. All 3 did really well, and came back to be in the first team. They were 17 or 18 at the time, though. Not 22, and Barca is a bigger club with much more pressure put on players who want to be in the first team.

Denis Suarez and Rafinha were both loaned out and are quite well liked by our current manager now that they're back at Barca.

The question isn't their age, but their quality. We haven't produced very many gems in a while.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Think people take it for granted that Samper definitely will make it, because they really want another La Masia graduate to come through. Let's see if it'll happen, but one thing is clear and that is that Sergi isn't that one of a kind talent many thought he was or wished for when Thiago left.

He's still a good one though and if he works hard, I can see him making it. He need to be 100% motivated and take control. Lots of competition, but there's a place for him in the team. We got no backup for Busquets as Roberto is needed at RB and Gomes' talent is better spent other ways.

Raketa10

Well the truth is he has to show all of his potential this year or it will be game over for him at least in Barca.

navidjaan

If you think he hasn't improved with the B team in the past two years you're basically saying he's as good now as he was with Juvenil A, which... Lol.

Laughable, really. At Juvenil A he could barely even tackle. He improved a lot at Barça B and ended being 4-5 levels above everyone else.

Raketa10

Laughable, really. At Juvenil A he could barely even tackle. He improved a lot at Barça B and ended being 4-5 levels above everyone else.

4-5 levels above everyone in Barca B?!?! Jesus...what a statement!
Yes he is even a little bit better than Busquets...at least 1 level :facepalm:
He wasn't even dominant in the game against Villanovense!

Last edited:

BBZ8800

For guys who believe in Samper, for comparison, our starter La Masia midfielders:
By the age of 22, Xavi had 4 seasons of playing as a starter, he was a key player in youth NT teams, plus when he played for A team he was very good RIGHT AWAY.
3/3 factors, let's say.
Iniesta, more or less the same.
Busi, the same.

Samper isn't a starter here aged 22.
He isn't a key player or one of the best youth midfielders in the world on that level and when he plays for Barca, he is far from good, he actually looks clumsy, lost and not good enough.

Yes, in Xavi's era those were different times, but still.
Some will reply: no one can get to Xavi-Iniesta's level.
True, but that doesn't mean that Barca will play with average midfielders either.
If we won't be able to produce new Xavis or Iniestas, we will just go out and buy 3-4 new players like Andre Gomes, Pogba, Gundogan and similar.

Currently it seems that Samper won't reach Xavi-Iniesta level surely.
Plus, he also won't reach a level of Andre Gomes and similar players (he is 22 also).
Unless he improve a looot in upcoming 1-2-3 years, that's it for him at Barca's jersey.

Barca as a club needs a level of Xavi-Iniesta-Busi for our starting midfielders.
If we can't produce new players of that level, we will buy players of a similar quality or of a quality somewhat close to theirs.

There is not much room left for emotions and playing good (but not good enough for Barca's standards) La Masia players just because they are our products and because they are devoted to a club.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans