Sergio Busquets

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You're right. Unless he has another midfielder to be his nanny, he's completely useless. Was that your point?
I reckon, it's also a tactical error from Lucho that he tramples over his feet and gives up possession and strolls around.

Just give Mascherano a go and see whats what.

Cule4life

The Culest
On one hand Busi is playing like a headless chicken and on the other hand Masch is getting bullied by tall players. I cant help thinking that "Hitting two birds with one stone" phrase has some application here....

rixxer

On one hand Busi is playing like a headless chicken and on the other hand Masch is getting bullied by tall players. I cant help thinking that "Hitting two birds with one stone" phrase has some application here....

Now I have seen everything.

FC B

We knew he can't do anything in attack but lately he does nothing in defense either. He has no competition and suffers from lack of motivation.
Mascherano had a superb World Cup at dm, holding the midfield practically on his own and has deserved a chance to start there for Barca as well. He distributes the ball faster, can shoot and is as much of an interceptor as Busquets.
Busquets in his prime is probably better but that Busquets is lost in 2011.

:goodpost:
Lucho should bench him for 2-3 matches and make him work hard for his place. These kind of performances are completely unacceptable from a player of this caliber. I hope he puts a good performance against RM other wise we are done.

And this!

Last edited:
F

Flavia

You're right. Unless he has another midfielder to be his nanny, he's completely useless. Was that your point?
I reckon, it's also a tactical error from Lucho that he tramples over his feet and gives up possession and strolls around.

Just give Mascherano a go and see whats what.

Point is Busquets is pretty much alone in the middle. I don't think masch there would be much different, he'd probably get caught up as well. But Busquets needs to stop with some things, as protecting the ball too close to the area and losing it, like he did twice yesterday.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Point is Busquets is pretty much alone in the middle. I don't think masch there would be much different, he'd probably get caught up as well. But Busquets needs to stop with some things, as protecting the ball too close to the area and losing it, like he did twice yesterday.

For all the things Masch may be he won't be bullied off the ball by anyone. Busi for his height and stature is Neymar-esque weak and his willingness lately to be over cute is costing us. We need either to try a double pivot to rest off form Don or play Xavi,Masch and Raki in midfield

Irish_Cules

Those situations that he gets into make me love/hate him . I remember when he first broke through and he did that a couple of times and lost it. I couldn't believe he was starting over Yaya.
Over the last few years though its become his trademark to shield the ball or do a turn and he does pull it off most of the time. He will be surrounded by a couple players and then release somebody like Iniesta who has space to then. It's fucking beautiful when he pulls it off.
Last night was just stupid though. If you are going to do it in dangerous areas make sure you pull it off. He didn't even try to turn away from them he just tried to shield the ball and draw a foul for a stupidly long time. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try out Masch there for a game or two to get Busi motivated. It's still hard to get better than him in that position when he's at his best.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
We knew he can't do anything in attack but lately he does nothing in defense either. He has no competition and suffers from lack of motivation.
Mascherano had a superb World Cup at dm, holding the midfield practically on his own and has deserved a chance to start there for Barca as well. He distributes the ball faster, can shoot and is as much of an interceptor as Busquets.
Busquets in his prime is probably better but that Busquets is lost in 2011.

As off form as Busi has been, I disagree with all of this. The guy needs a boot up his ass, but you're really overrating Masch here. His 'holding of the midfield practically on his own' never existed until the quarterfinals when Biglia benched Gago (the hype for Mascherano coming in hard after the Netherlands match) and Argentina became a bunkered defensive body. Mascherano's only standout performance was in the semifinal in fact, wasn't much of a presence in the final. Most of Argentina's problems early on were actually centered in the midfield being far too slow and over-reliance on Messi/Di Maria to create things and not being defensively sound (until the quarterfinals). He was Argentina's 2nd best player of the tournament but probably wouldn't have been if Di Maria remained fit.

Saying that he distributes the ball faster is quite perplexing. Busquets has always been known for his one touch game and ability to keep the play flowing while Mascherano lingered on the ball an insane amount of time in the WC, the reason why Argentina's passing game was ridiculously slow. He'd be on the ball facing forward and then pivot left and right about 3-4 times before playing it to the CB or adjacent DM. It was ridiculous and repetitive. I don't claim an eidetic memory but the only instance I can recall Mascherano making a semi-notable pass in between the lines was for Messi's first goal against Nigeria (pass was to Di Maria who hit the post), other than that it was always pinned back under pressure which kept the play from moving forward. Busi makes important passes between the lines often which are important/undervalued in transition and has set up 2 goals this season with his interceptions. As for being a better shooter, Mascherano's negative goal tally for Barcelona pretty much speaks for itself doesn't it :lol:.

He has had his fair share of sloppy games this season and needs some talking to about this, but I still take him over Masch any day of the week (especially in the sense that our attack/passing play has been complained about most, which Mascherano would heavily detract from). I'd sooner promote Samper as full time deputy than make Masch permanent starter at DM.

Last edited:
I

instinct

Madrid president Perez, member of committee that decides 23-man Ballon d'Or shortlist, last year pressured not to include Busquets. [sd]

:florentino:

Home of Barca Fans