Sergio Busquets

Bobo32

because he is only passing 10 meters to De Jong or Pedri.

So far this season, Busquets passes has travelled 9712m, the next player in line is Garcia with 6747m.
In progressive distance, Busquets is placed on top too with 2634m, then it's MatS with 2474m and then Garcia with 1993m
In passes into the final third, Busquets is also on top with 62 passes, next in line is FdJ with 46 passes and then it's Garcia and Gavi with 32 and 30 respectively.
"Progressive passes" is also a stat where Busquets is on top, with 48 passes. Frenkie has made 39 and then there is Depay and Garcia on 29

JohnN

It's all great with the passes. Nobody said he doesn't know how to pass. He cannot defend to save his life mate. He cannot hold his own under pressure. He has become to slow with his reactions. That's what everyone is telling you. If we wanted an attacking midfielder we would play one. He is a dm. He plays crap as a dm.

Bobo32

It's all great with the passes. Nobody said he doesn't know how to pass. He cannot defend to save his life mate. He cannot hold his own under pressure. He has become to slow with his reactions. That's what everyone is telling you. If we wanted an attacking midfielder we would play one. He is a dm. He plays crap as a dm.

The one I quoted claimed he only passes 10m, "mate". It's in the quote I quoted.

97,4% of the times he recieved a pass he was able to control it. Only defenders and keepers have higher numbers this season.
100% dribbles so far, he is the one who attempted most of them while not failing, so far.
0,6 times per game has he been dismissed of the ball, this is the lowest number in the squad after Araujo.
0,3 times per game did he fail to control a ball, this is the lowest number in the squad after Eric Garcia.
He has the highest number of touches in the squad, while also having the lowest error rate, and also having the highest progressive passes and passes into the final third.

It's a bit of old school to say an offensive midfielder should be concerned with possession and a defensive midfielder should be concerned with defending.
Cruyff said the striker is the first defender and the keeper is the first attacker. Perhaps in Greece it's all about physicality and defending for everyone...

JamDav1982

Busquets numbers are decent as he shies away from taking ball under pressure and teams often if cant make the press allow him to drop to a third CB and pass ball about there as no threat.

Barca are fucking awful at passing out from back and he plays a big part of that as hides when knows doesnt have room and if takes it tight dives to win a foul.

A DM who drops to fuck about with ball beside CBs and only looks to move ball forward and never early when teams sit off him as know he is little threat on ball.

whoscored has him... 17th in squad for pass accuracy. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Bobo32

^ I don't really want to quote this "person" and I don't want to read his poorly written post too carefully or I risk getting a seizure, but Busquets is clearly a player who is comfortable under pressure. Only Frenkie has played more passes while under pressure this season.
Since Koeman arrived, Busquets has started moving down to the defence line more and more, without any clear advantage. This is no good, but it's clearly on instruction.

JamDav1982

Bobo... 'Busi is great passer of ball'

Reality.. 17th best pass accuracy in team and positional sense of a wasp.

A futsal player whos legs went 4/5 years ago and has no idea how to position himself as a DM or get his legs moving to create room to pass ball effectively under the slightest pressure.

Redbuck

Can bobo and jamdav stop the stupid debate ? they both look like clowns. Anyone with eyes will see that they are both right. Busi is a system player and he will only look good in a system made to showcase his pros and conceal his cons, and currently Barca doesn't have that system, so he'll look like shit for us.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

Can bobo and jamdav stop the stupid debate ? they both look like clowns. Anyone with eyes will see that they are both correct. Busi is a system player and he will only look good in a system made to showcase his pros and conceal his cons. He looked good at the Euros like we all know because, Spain has an actual manager who created a system suitable for Busi to thrive while we've got a clueless scarecrow for a coach who cannot a create a suitable system for the team, not even to talk of a single player. And you guys know that international football is played at a lower intensity than club football, and considering the fact that current Busi thrives in low intensity games, he'll surely have a good tournament. Combine those two factors, you'll see why many persons were impressed during the Euros and Bobo says that Busi isn't past it. But on Jamdav's side, you'll understand why he dislikes Busi because Barca doesn't have a system which caters for Busi's flaws and everyone is expected to perform in a chaotic system

Does not matter how good he still is or is not. He is going to be 34 next season and like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta he needs to realize he has to go if the club wants to move forward.

JohnN

The one I quoted claimed he only passes 10m, "mate". It's in the quote I quoted.

97,4% of the times he recieved a pass he was able to control it. Only defenders and keepers have higher numbers this season.
100% dribbles so far, he is the one who attempted most of them while not failing, so far.
0,6 times per game has he been dismissed of the ball, this is the lowest number in the squad after Araujo.
0,3 times per game did he fail to control a ball, this is the lowest number in the squad after Eric Garcia.
He has the highest number of touches in the squad, while also having the lowest error rate, and also having the highest progressive passes and passes into the final third.

It's a bit of old school to say an offensive midfielder should be concerned with possession and a defensive midfielder should be concerned with defending.
Cruyff said the striker is the first defender and the keeper is the first attacker. Perhaps in Greece it's all about physicality and defending for everyone...

I am trying to be reasonable but cannot disregard that you keep avoiding the fact that he DOES NOT DEFEND good at all. He doesn't run enough for a DM. He doesn't run fast enough. He doesn't cover passing lanes, only relies on his long feet to block bad passes. He can't keep up with attackers running behind him. On the buildup side, he can be good, the system and surrounding players don't help his case or highlight his still good attributes. But if we couldn't create a team to support Messi's talent, we surely can't (and shouldn't) try for Busquets, who is also too old now.

About the bolded part, I wouldn't know. I don't watch Greek football since I started watching Barca in 2005. It's really bad, so I wouldn't try to make any conclusions based on that.
Cruyff might be right. But he surely wouldn't want an attacker that is crap at attacking, simply because he is good at defending (Griezmann comes to mind).

Bobo32

I am trying to be reasonable but cannot disregard that you keep avoiding the fact that he DOES NOT DEFEND good at all. He doesn't run enough for a DM. He doesn't run fast enough. He doesn't cover passing lanes, only relies on his long feet to block bad passes. He can't keep up with attackers running behind him. On the buildup side, he can be good, the system and surrounding players don't help his case or highlight his still good attributes. But if we couldn't create a team to support Messi's talent, we surely can't (and shouldn't) try for Busquets, who is also too old now.

About the bolded part, I wouldn't know. I don't watch Greek football since I started watching Barca in 2005. It's really bad, so I wouldn't try to make any conclusions based on that.
Cruyff might be right. But he surely wouldn't want an attacker that is crap at attacking, simply because he is good at defending (Griezmann comes to mind).

Yeah I shouldn't be unreasonable either.
I do not agree about the defence stuff, what's just as much lacking is effort from the attackers and a good structure from the attackers+midfielders in front of him. Also discipline, timing and quality from the defenders behind him.
I posted a lot of stats yesterday to people who criticized the passing part of his game, which I find much more unreasonable to do than criticizing his defensive part. Maybe I'll collect some defensive stats as well, I saw that he is on top in a lot of them too, such as numbers of times his pressing made the team win the ball back for example.
Still in this chaotic and badly set up team, he is the one who still manages to shine the most in both stats and to my eye. I would defend him even if he had shit stats and looked a bit shit to my eye in this system, because I agree that he really is a player that suffers when the team isn't set up in a good way or it isn't functioning.

Cruyff also said that Pep and Koeman were the worst defenders in the world, still he used them as the central block. I think Barcelona has played their best when Busquets played with Frenkie behind him too (partly because Frenkie doesn't have the right habits to play in front of Busquets too)

Home of Barca Fans