Tennis

abual3bed1

Congrats to Wawrinka and kudos to Nadal for making Wawrinka somehow earn the win rather than just retire. Wawrinka the 1st player to win both #1 and #2 seeded players in grand slam since 1993. 8th in history. Now he's #3 seed.

BarcaGirl

Congrats to Stan for this his 1st GS! :)

I'm proud of you Rafa! Today he once again proved what a real champ is. He basically sacrificed his body for two sets so Stan could win the match properly. Even with the pain killers, he knew he wouldn't win, but he had so much respect for Stan and the game itself that he pushed through and didn’t gave up. It’s very clear how passionate Nadal is about Tennis. It’s his life. You can see the glimmer in his eyes after each point he wins. You can see it in his body language when he wins a hard fought point. Not many would have continued playing through the pain. That’s the amount of respect he has for the game. His sportsmanship is one of a kind. And the fact that he thanked the shitty crowd that booed him, proves what a real gentleman he is.

To me, Rafa will always be a warrior and a fighter, and even though he didn’t win today, I have no doubt he’ll come back, faster and better than ever. Vamos Matador!

:worthy:

MagIX

Wow !!!! :worthy:

Congrats Stan, you really deserved to win, absolutely the best player of the tournament. He played a fantastic tennis the whole tournement, an amazing attacking tennis with so much unbelievable winnig shots, pure spectacle !! vs Djoko the n.1 on this surface !! and vs Nadal (Stan was dominating Nadal before the ingury) !!! and as barcagirl said, congrat to Nadal for staying for two set (and fighting like a warrior:worthy:) on the tennis court !

2nd swiss to win a slam after Federer !!! oh yesss !!!!!!!!!!:party1:

zanela

The curse of DelPo strikes again. Since his US 09 triumph, a GS champion has never come from his half. I hope Rafa avoids him at the French, or it will be bad news. Dropping down a place in the ranking will also help, as it always does for him.

Stan was 0-12, before coming in to this match, he couldn't 've chosen a more appropriate (for him), and the worst (for rafa) occasion to earn his first win against Rafa.

Bye bye Double career slam. :(

Not even French open? If he's fit he's odds on favorite to win there and He's come back from injuries before....

He's very beatable when playing on clay under heavy conditions. A big hitter can take him out, the likes of Isner (who took him to 5 sets few years ago), Soderling, Del Potro, and then ofc Djokovic, who's had good success against him since 2011, beating him at Madrid, Rome, MC, and has ran him close, twice at the French.

He needs to play closer to the baseline, and take the shots early, but from his own accounts, he needs to be feeling confident, and in rhythm to take that route. Its how he tamed Djoko at Montreal, and the USO. But for someone who is not a natural attacker, such a transition cannot be effectuated at will, and he's more comfortable retrieving when he's down. And therein lies the problem, as his physical decline makes it harder. He needs to be serving consistently well, improve that short ROS, and add some variety to his game, to defend his FO. I'm not very confident however.

Last edited:

abual3bed1

Not only that Wawrinka got his 1st win against Nadal, he never won a set against Nadal before today.

And for Roland Garros, only injury can beat Nadal on clay, besides an intimidating 2011 Djokovic. And I think Nole lost that mental advantage over Nadal last year.

zanela

Not only that Wawrinka got his 1st win against Nadal, he never won a set against Nadal before today.

And that. :p

And for Roland Garros, only injury can beat Nadal on clay, besides an intimidating 2011 Djokovic. And I think Nole lost that mental advantage over Nadal last year.

People thought the same about Nadal, when he lost the 2 finals to Fed at Wimby, but he came back stronger the following year. I see the same happening with Djoko, but I'd love to be wrong ofc.

Home of Barca Fans