Thiago Translantara

Messi983

IMO we just want Liverpool to sign Thiago fast so we can then get Wijnaldum.

This is what our supposed interest in him is all about. Thiago doesn't even want to return and RK prefers a player he knows over him.

Raketa10

exactly. if liverpool lose wijnaldum they'll use our money to sign thiago.

hence why it's not possible for us to sign both gini and thiago like many on here want

Buying both of them would be stupid as fuck. We already bought Pjanic who is 30y old. So let's buy two more players in their thirties so we can have the oldest midfield out there once again! We should go ONLY for one of them and try to give more minutes to Puig and Pedri.

FC433

IMO we just want Liverpool to sign Thiago fast so we can then get Wijnaldum.

This is what our supposed interest in him is all about. Thiago doesn't even want to return and RK prefers a player he knows over him.
He definitely does not mind coming back. His response to MTS's comment suggests that he might even want to come back.

Porque

He definitely does not mind coming back. His response to MTS's comment suggests that he might even want to come back.

Yeah, I think his priority is to play in the PL, but I am sure that he too would like to "make it" here as his first run was unfulfilled.

But Liverpool have a project with much more guarantee's for him.

Messi983

The way I see our current/potential midfield next season

Pjanic/Wijnaldum/Roberto* - FDJ/Busi - Coutinho/Puig

*He'll still play a lot as RB though as I don't see us keeping Semedo AND getting a new RB. So if we'll get a new RB Semedo is gone.

I see Wijnaldum as a bridge gap until Ilaix is ready. So If he'll be given a 3-year contract that's good. Leave Ilaix in Barca B next season, train with the first team occasionally and play in some easier games. Depending on his development promote him next summer or send him on loan. Then in 2022 (when he'll still be only 19) he can return and start to rotate with Gini and in a year or two possibly take over as a starter if he'll develop as we hope.

Loan Pedri for a season or maybe two. Let's see if Puig can establish himself this season though I still believe Pedri has more longterm potential and will take away his spot eventually. Sell Coutinho next year (unless he'll turn into a real important part of the team) and let Puig and Pedri compete.

Try to sell Busi next year (with Xavi possibly our coach this will be almost impossible though and that's one of the reasons I don't want to see him back yet) and also use Pjanic as a backup to FDJ. Selling him after just a year would be for too big financial loss and I think his legs are still fresher than Busi's so I'd prefer to keep him. We'll need to see how he'll do this season first though. Maybe Monchu could also be kept as a backup DM after getting some experience on loan this season. Or Matheus Fernandes depending on his development (he'll surely go on loan).

Personally would like to get Camavinga next year but don't think it will happen. Look for alternatives for an athletic midfielder although I believe with FDJ, Gini (even in his early thirties), Puig, Pedri and then Ilaix in a few years we'll already have a lot more dynamic midfield than we're used to see.

So 2021/22 midfield would be like:

Pjanic/Wijnaldum - FDJ/Pjanic/Monchu/MF? - Puig/Pedri

Then in 2022 we could potentially sell Pjanic (unless he'll keep playing on a high level) and go like this:

Wijnaldum/Ilaix - FDJ/Monchu/MF?? - Pedri/Puig

Now obviously things won't work out exactly like that and we'll surely bring another midfielder or two in next 2 years but I think we shouldn't really spend big money on midfield (unless it's on a special talent like Camavinga) before we see what we have in younger midfielders. We won't have much money over the next few years and I'd prefer to use what we'll have on improving defense and find a good goal scorer and maybe another winger depending on how Fati, Trincao and Barca B players (Konrad, G. Maia - don't expect them to stay at the club longterm but who knows) will develop.

Personally I believe our future is not as bleak as most people think. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think we have some youngsters we can build around and over the next 2-3 seasons we should see who amongst them can stick around longterm. There is still a lot of work to be done but I believe we've at least started to move in the right direction (as long as we won't make another big mistake and spend 100m on Lautaro :lol: ). A few years too late but we can't change the past so I'm just looking at a present and future. We won't see a full picture of this rebuild until Messi, Pique, Busi and Alba are all gone but kids should be given a chance to prove their worth now.

malvolio

Personally I believe our future is not as bleak as most people think.

future looks "meh" at best, with those options. pjanic and wijnaldum on the path to retirement(they peaked a couple of years ago and even then, they weren't extraordinary). waiting for FDJ to come good, but let's say signs are positive. puig, pedri, monchu? bunch of kids that have to get lots of experience before we can have an idea on what their worth is. coutinho is a shambles and will forever feel the weight of that transfer sum.

so again, too many ifs and buts for a club of barcelona's stature.

soul24rage

Personally I believe our future is not as bleak as most people think. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think we have some youngsters we can build around and over the next 2-3 seasons we should see who amongst them can stick around longterm. There is still a lot of work to be done but I believe we've at least started to move in the right direction (as long as we won't make another big mistake and spend 100m on Lautaro :lol: ). A few years too late but we can't change the past so I'm just looking at a present and future. We won't see a full picture of this rebuild until Messi, Pique, Busi and Alba are all gone but kids should be given a chance to prove their worth now.

:goodpost:

Nucky

Looks like another good deal by Liverpool.. Sell Wijnaldum to Barca and sign Thiago.. They never learn..

bismp

Well to be fair,although I would prefer Thiago too,neither of these transfers are ideal.Thiago is a little bit old and injury prone.Plus we have similar players at the team like Pjanic and Puig.Maybe Gini fits the squad better.

Home of Barca Fans