Thiago Translantara

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
No doubt Tito needs to learn rotate better. He was very sick last year so management should have stepped in.

If he still refuses to rotate properly this year, management NEEDS to step in and tell him to do so.

It does feel like we are waiting for Friday to come to hear if Thiago leaves or not. I really hope Xavi talked some sense into him.

i_bleed_blaugrana

First of all I don't think Xavi and Thiagos situation is really the same. Xavi started to become a regular in the 99/00 so he was a few years younger than Thiago is right now. Also Xavi didn't have to replace such a great player. No offence to Guardiola but Xavi is an all time great CM, even among the best and still among the best CM in the world. Xavi can talk to him all he wants, but what can he assure? That in a few years it will be his side? That he had to wait too? Thiago is an amazing player and deserves to start week in week out. Except for the FCBs that would be the case for every team in the world.

Also did some think of the consequences that the Thiago situation could have on the team? Right now this is the team of Xavi/Iniesta/Messi. Let's say that Xavi is slowly showing his age and simply doesn't perform THAT good anymore and Thiago plays stunning for you. It would create huge pressure on your manager who to play and I don't think Xavi and the locker room would really appreciate it if Xavi would be benched in the big games. After all it is still Xavi, but what message would it give to other younger players? That your performances don't matter and because of your standing in the team and reputation you make the team? Not even to mention that you still have Fabregas! Maybe he can finally adapt to playing CM for Barcelona. We had a comparable situation with Pique at United. We knew his talent and how good he is but honestly Ferdinand/Vidic were simply too good to break up. If he'd be 2-3 years younger everything would be much easier for Barcelona.

That's why I think BOTH clubs could benefit from a deal here. We let him play week in week out and develop his amazing talent even further. He becomes a global star and returns in 3 years for you. I don't think even if we get him that we'd him any longer than max. 4 years if he really develops the way everyone thinks. After 2 years all the Barcelona player at the Spain NT would talk to him to come back. He loves the city and the club. He'd simply do a Fabregas and join you guys in 3-4 years again. We couldn't do anything against it and because he'd be probably in the last years of his contract he wouldn't cost the world. Of course we'd make a profit on him but I'd believe he'd go well below his market price like Fabregas.

Of course the best solution for Barca would be him staying and simply be happy playing 2nd fiddle to Xavi and just accept that in the next 2-3 years he won't play big games as long as Xavi is injured, but don't hold it against him if he leaves. We United fans were the same with Pogba but just look at his success. It was the right decision for him to leave United and I really believe that the same would happen for Thiago if he joins us.

One thing I think you UTD fans need to understand about Thiago is that the Thiago version that you saw in the Euro U-21s won't be the same player you get once he starts playing in the PL and CL. He looks like a god amongst mere mortals whenever he plays for the youth national team yet he doesn't do the same things as consistently as he does there on the higher level.

Don't think that I am bashing Thiago, he is an amazing talent and for his age, he is probably the best all-around MF. However, he has been pretty inconsistent when he plays for us and this is why he hasn't benched Xavi yet. The Thiago U-21 version is what you will get in about 3-4 years time where he just bosses games like its nothing. He doesn't quite do the same thing when he plays in La Liga or in CL based on his performance last season.

However, with what he has shown recently and Xavi's decline recently, next season should be his breakout year. This is why, if he is wise and really wants to play in the WC as bad as the media claims he does, it makes more sense for him to stay here than leave.

Leaving Barca won't change the fact that on the Spanish NT, he will still be competing against Xavi, Iniesta and all the other MFs who are in the team now. As I have said prior, I am skeptical of the assumption that he will magically light up the PL and I think Barca's style is much better suited to his strengths.

BADGERBHOY

First of all I don't think Xavi and Thiagos situation is really the same. Xavi started to become a regular in the 99/00 so he was a few years younger than Thiago is right now. Also Xavi didn't have to replace such a great player. No offence to Guardiola but Xavi is an all time great CM, even among the best and still among the best CM in the world. Xavi can talk to him all he wants, but what can he assure? That in a few years it will be his side? That he had to wait too? Thiago is an amazing player and deserves to start week in week out. Except for the FCBs that would be the case for every team in the world.

Also did some think of the consequences that the Thiago situation could have on the team? Right now this is the team of Xavi/Iniesta/Messi. Let's say that Xavi is slowly showing his age and simply doesn't perform THAT good anymore and Thiago plays stunning for you. It would create huge pressure on your manager who to play and I don't think Xavi and the locker room would really appreciate it if Xavi would be benched in the big games. After all it is still Xavi, but what message would it give to other younger players? That your performances don't matter and because of your standing in the team and reputation you make the team? Not even to mention that you still have Fabregas! Maybe he can finally adapt to playing CM for Barcelona. We had a comparable situation with Pique at United. We knew his talent and how good he is but honestly Ferdinand/Vidic were simply too good to break up. If he'd be 2-3 years younger everything would be much easier for Barcelona.

That's why I think BOTH clubs could benefit from a deal here. We let him play week in week out and develop his amazing talent even further. He becomes a global star and returns in 3 years for you. I don't think even if we get him that we'd him any longer than max. 4 years if he really develops the way everyone thinks. After 2 years all the Barcelona player at the Spain NT would talk to him to come back. He loves the city and the club. He'd simply do a Fabregas and join you guys in 3-4 years again. We couldn't do anything against it and because he'd be probably in the last years of his contract he wouldn't cost the world. Of course we'd make a profit on him but I'd believe he'd go well below his market price like Fabregas.

Of course the best solution for Barca would be him staying and simply be happy playing 2nd fiddle to Xavi and just accept that in the next 2-3 years he won't play big games as long as Xavi is injured, but don't hold it against him if he leaves. We United fans were the same with Pogba but just look at his success. It was the right decision for him to leave United and I really believe that the same would happen for Thiago if he joins us.

Xavi was not a starter then, even Puyol was playing at right back in those days ffs.
Xavi was going to get out of dodge when legendary midfielders like Rochemback were in the team

KhaledBarca

Guardiola might not be as good as Xavi now (agree), but at that time it was the game situation a young talented player (Xavi/Thiago) trying to replace a great Barcelona midfielder (legend - Guardiola/Xavi).

Thiago has to know that playing ahead of Cleverly or Andreson or ahead of any Man Utd midfielder won't convince Del Bosque to take him to the World Cup. He needs to prove himself against the BEST (Xavi/Cesc/Iniesta).

Anyway, In my opinion Thiago shouldn't worry about World Cup 2014. Either way he won't play any important role. Thiago should keep on learning from Xavi/Iniesta and he'll start getting an important role in Euro 2016 Q and then hopefully shine in Euro 2016.

KhaledBarca

Spain 2016:

De Gea
Montoya Pique Ramos Alba
Martinez Busquets
Deulofeu Thiago Iniesta
Cesc :tito:

Isco is over-rated, he's the new canales ;)

BerkeleyBernie

One thing I think you UTD fans need to understand about Thiago is that the Thiago version that you saw in the Euro U-21s won't be the same player you get once he starts playing in the PL and CL. He looks like a god amongst mere mortals whenever he plays for the youth national team yet he doesn't do the same things as consistently as he does there on the higher level.

Don't think that I am bashing Thiago, he is an amazing talent and for his age, he is probably the best all-around MF. However, he has been pretty inconsistent when he plays for us and this is why he hasn't benched Xavi yet. The Thiago U-21 version is what you will get in about 3-4 years time where he just bosses games like its nothing. He doesn't quite do the same thing when he plays in La Liga or in CL based on his performance last season.

It's more where he plays in Barça's system, and who is on the field with him at the same time. Put him in a more direct system, and you'll see more of the attacking side come out. He'll still be better in possession than his teammates, even if he loses more balls in the EPL than at Barça. EPL tends towards longer, more direct and chancier passes. It's expected to have less possession in return for getting the ball up the field and in the opponent's box quicker.

Thiago in the EPL becomes more like prime-time Wesley Sneijder, and less like Xavi.

Armando929

Part of the problem Thiago and Cesc face is that they're expected to be as good as Xavi and play like him. But they're different players. They have different strengths. For as much criticism as Cesc gets for losing the ball, Thiago also loses the ball quite a bit, but that's fine. Sometimes we need more directness. At times Xavi just passes around without any real direction and the forwards get bored and don't make any runs because he's not gonna thread the long ball. I think Spain's attack suffered from that through most of Euro 2012 before turning it on against the Italians in the final. I'm all for keeping possession, but I also like to see our midfielders take more chances. Thiago and Cesc do that and when it works they'll get praised, and when it doesn't work they'll get criticized for not being Xavi and that isn't correct either.

Barca philosophy will remain but the players change. That's all part of it.

Jadentheman

Part of the problem Thiago and Cesc face is that they're expected to be as good as Xavi and play like him. But they're different players. They have different strengths. For as much criticism as Cesc gets for losing the ball, Thiago also loses the ball quite a bit, but that's fine. Sometimes we need more directness. At times Xavi just passes around without any real direction and the forwards get bored and don't make any runs because he's not gonna thread the long ball. I think Spain's attack suffered from that through most of Euro 2012 before turning it on against the Italians in the final. I'm all for keeping possession, but I also like to see our midfielders take more chances. Thiago and Cesc do that and when it works they'll get praised, and when it doesn't work they'll get criticized for not being Xavi and that isn't correct either.

He does it so he can get those passing records, but it doesn't mean crape if your team is one up or down.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

i_bleed_blaugrana

:goodpost:

With Neymar, I think this team is going to evolve a bit and start being more direct. Much rather only have 62-65% and more goals than have 70%+ and not score.

In particular with Cesc, we have tried too much to try to make him play like Xavi when all he needs to do is go back to Arsenal Cesc. That and him playing 6 different positions (I swear if someone takes that literally....) every other game has been why he hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

As long as we get that solid CB, I think we are going to evolve into quite a force next season.

With the influx of brazilians and hopefully with Thiago leading the MF, we might evolve to a mix of Spain's possession with Brazil's flair.

Joga-taka anyone?

Vantheman

I think that Thiago will be much more beneficial to Manchester United when compared to him staying at Barca. With the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas and Busquets, Thiago will never get the recognition as being the best player in the squad. With Manchester United he's got that chance because of our horrible midfield going into next season of Carrick - which I rate very highly, Cleverley and Anderson.

Barca "forgets" about Thiago

1372921921838.jpg

1372920963604.jpg

Barca published yesterday a picture on its Instagram announcing Quatar airways as sponsor for the Asian tour.
The first picture was published by the club sometime ago announcing the new kits. The second picture was just published yesterday. It is surprising to see how Thiago alcantara was cut out from the original picture.
coincidence ? you be the judge.

Source= sport. but you can also check barca's instagram for yourselves.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans