Transfers and Rumours - old thread

jklz

Heard great things about Doria, but never actually saw him play (at least, I didn't pay attention to him). Exactly how talented is he supposed to be?

AvocadoCake

He's already capped for Brazil, that's impressive. How good is he, though? This video was linked in the original Sport.es article
but YouTube videos aren't always the way to go.

Last edited:
http://thebotafogostar.com/2013/02/23/doria-botafogo/

He's tall as hell and apparently comfortable on the ball too. Only time I've ever heard of him was when he was linked with Juventus. If he's good he could be a better "secondary" CB transfer than Marquinhos because he'd be more willing to spend some time on the bench and learn.

Even if we get a youngster like Martinez or Marquinhos, I think we might as well go ahead and make him the starter, at least by the time the first half of the season is up. Someone like Marquinhos or Inigo Martinez can't be worse than what we have now (still think someone like TS would be better, but those 2 would be better than what we have now and they'd also be better than some of the other players we've been linked with, i.e. Agger and Mathieu). This Doria guy, on the other hand, probably won't be good enough to start right away. Which is what we need, someone to replace Puyol as the starter. Not someone to warm the bench. So if we're going for a youngster, I'd go for someone like Martinez/Marquinhos.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Even if we get a youngster like Martinez or Marquinhos, I think we might as well go ahead and make him the starter, at least by the time the first half of the season is up. Someone like Marquinhos or Inigo Martinez can't be worse than what we have now. This Doria guy, on the other hand, probably won't be good enough to start right away. Which is what we need, someone to replace Puyol as the starter. Not someone to warm the bench.

I even said "secondary" CB. For example we could get Koscielny as primary CB and Doria as an understudy to grow into a starting role in later years. He's a better option to be a secondary signing than Marquinhos because he'd actually be relatively cheap and unproven, making it much easier to label him as a future player than someone we have to start atm to justify the fee.

Jenks

Pepe Reina saved only 28% of the clear cut chances he faced in 2012-13, the fourth lowest rate in the PL.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He's already capped for Brazil, that's impressive. How good is he, though? This video was linked in the original Sport.es article
but YouTube videos aren't always the way to go.

Judging by his behaviors, he looks like he has a natural tendency to make himself imposing and large on opposition attackers, shutting down space and putting them under a lot of pressure. That's a great trait for smothering counterattacks, forcing errors, and creating the illusion that the opposition has much less space to play in, whereas nowadays against us it's like they have acres of free space during counterattacks. It's still impossible to get a holistic judgement of him simply off of a video though, just helps to see his main positive traits which look like ball playing, aerial ability, and pressuring/imposing.

Home of Barca Fans