Was it a Red??

Aasim

Bumbleman
Referee made the decision based on the rule book. Its harsh but he did everything UEFA has told him to do in that situation.

maz

I walk the line
It wasn't harsh. If a fcb player got a yellow for shooting the ball after the whistle had blown when it was obvious that they were in time-wasting mode then I couldn't complain. RVP knew the whistle went. He is a trained footballer. There are 95,000 people but a whistle is loud. You can't ever use the excuse that you didn't hear the whislte.

mittchan82

Was it fair or not is not the question. I question RvP's sportsmanship.

The rulebook states clearly about playing the ball after the whistle. If he didn't hear it than it's his damn fault.

And even if he didn't deserve the yellow for playing the ball after the whistle, he should have got it for his pussy-foot.

he wanted to waste his time when his team was up and he paid for his dirty little trick.

If anyone wants to complain about the ref's quality, it should be Messi out of all the players from both sides. He was manhandled by Arsenal players like it was an american football match.

Arsenal is out of CL and that's the end of story.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
It was never a red. He should have been sent off earlier though and by the time he got the second yellow he had pissed off the ref. For all of you that are citing the rules. It took one second from the whistle being blown and him being penalised. Don't forget that in this day and age we have multiball so he didn't delay the game.

maz

I walk the line
One second? OMG One second. Football is decided on milliseconds. For someone of rvp's quality he should be able to tell his foot not to kick the ball within one second. If a footballer can't decide within a second not to shoot the ball that is in his possession then he is pretty shit.

And no, it wasn't a red. But it was a yellow. They were time wasting, and in fact the ref applied common sense to that situation. If arsenal were chasing the game he wouldn't have got booked because it wouldn't have been a time wasting tactic.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
it was clearly a make up red card for the one the ref missed earlier. but he didnt shoot with his left foot even though he had all day which makes me wonder

gingerless

It was never a red. He should have been sent off earlier though and by the time he got the second yellow he had pissed off the ref. For all of you that are citing the rules. It took one second from the whistle being blown and him being penalised. Don't forget that in this day and age we have multiball so he didn't delay the game.

it doesn't matter if it was 1 second or 1 minute, the rules say if you kick the ball away you can be booked for it... it's irrelevant

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Well I think it is unreasonable for anyone to suggest that was a yellow card. Common sense has got to come into play at some point.

gingerless

well if you want to look at it that way then you can also argue that the ref was taking into account his other fouls in the game and his overall behaviour. in which case i would not be surprised he got sent off

Der Kaiser

It´s a fact than in every sport where a referee is involved, they try to even out their decisions. they often know imediatly after they´ve made a call that they were wrong but have to stick to it.
there was the corner for arsenal which clearly was a goalkick (they showed busacca´s face and you could see that he wasn´t happy with his decision), there was the foul on messi which should have been a penalty or freekick, so he decided to even the hole thing out. it wasn´t even a bad call, just very harsh.

TanzaBarca

They wanted ref to tell RvP "don't do it again!" It's hash because it is FC Barcelona, Barca do not complain even if some many bad things hapen to us! We forget quickly and think of what happens next!

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
well if you want to look at it that way then you can also argue that the ref was taking into account his other fouls in the game and his overall behaviour. in which case i would not be surprised he got sent off

I think that is exactly why he was sent off.

Guardian

Harsh decision indeed, but Van Persie should have been sent off after slapping Alves in the face. He did another foul for a yellow card and in the end the ref summed it up and sent him to the dressing room, because the dutch pig gathered too many sins and went too far with his cocky behaviour. So yeah, Van Persie deserved it

Home of Barca Fans