Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Verratti

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Another Signing

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Another Barca B player

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
Not at all Cesc will not be happy just to be a back up player and neither would Gundogan.

You cant just have two world class players in every position, it doesnt work.

The problem wasn't that Thiago's not a starter. The problem was that we didn't rotate well and he wasn't played enough. As long as he gets enough playing time, I think Gundogan wouldn't mind being a backup, especially considering that Xavi's aging and he'll be a starter in a few seasons.

As for Cesc, he's been benched for most of the second half of this season and doesn't seem to mind. There have been a few rumors of him going, but it looks like he wants to stay. As long as he gets enough playing time, I don't think he'll mind either.

Cesc and Thiago/Gundogan are different types of players. Use Cesc as the Iniesta backup and Thiago/Gundogan as the Xavi backup. That way, they won't get in each other's way when it comes to playing time. If we rotate well, I don't see what the problem is.

And the fact of the matter is, Xavi's not getting any younger. We need a player like Gundogan to replace him in the future if Thiago leaves.

JamDav1982

Playing enough is part of it but playing in the big games is also a huge part of it.

It is impossible to keep four players of that standard all happy.

You claim Gundogan wont mind being a back up? Well Cesc and Thiago have minded.

It doesnt work. Barley any team in the world is able to keep happy two world class players in the same position.

Anyway it makes no sense to spend big on CM's when that is one of the strongest areas of the team.

Anyway it makes no sense to spend big on CM's when that is one of the strongest areas of the team.

It does when one CM is 33 and will need to be replaced soon.

You claim Gundogan wont mind being a back up? Well Cesc and Thiago have minded.

Cesc doesn't seem to have minded. There are rumors linking him with a move, but it looks to me like he wants to stay.

As for Thiago, what makes you so sure that he wants to be a starter so badly? I know I'm repeating myself here, but I really think he just needs/wants to be played more, even if he isn't necessarily a starter. Xavi's 33 and not getting any younger. Considering that, as long as he gets more playing time, I don't think Thiago will mind being a backup for a couple more seasons.

As for Gundogan, the same applies to him. Rotate him well, give him a good amount of playing time, and I don't think there'll be a problem. There might be if we didn't have a 33 year old who will need to be replaced soon, but we do.

Last edited:

Mr Hulot

Even though it's not the kind of player I normally like, I would go with the outsider: Ramires.
He can be our new Keita :wub: His role to the club has yet to be filled..
Ramires has some qualities like amazing stamina, work rate and ability to press that were missing in some games this year and he would be just be a good utility/rotation player.

JamDav1982

Well, Xavi's not getting any younger, so we can't just get some mediocre player. Besides, if we get him, he'll be a starter soon enough.

Not the way Xavi is speaking these days!

Gundogan will not come and sit and wait till Xavi retires. No top player will do that I am afraid.

Mr Hulot

Well, Xavi's not getting any younger, so we can't just get some mediocre player. Besides, if we get him, he'll be a starter soon enough.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over again. So let me ask you a question. We buy Gundogan and play let's say against Bayern Munchen or Madrid in the CL quarter finals. Who would you start? Would you think Gundogan will accept to go from a star of a CL final to a bench warmer in Barcelona? Or would you think that he is already better than Xavi? Now throw Cesc in the mix as well and see where the problem lies. Xavi has at least two more years at the top of his game. Great players want to play great games. They don't want to start for unimportant La Liga games in the month of May.

Home of Barca Fans