Who would you pick, Luis Enrique or Tata Martino?

Lucho or Tata?

• Total voters

Eetu

Adormit
I'd go with Tata, mostly because it might do us good to someone from outside the family for a change. And if it doesn't, appointment of an inside man like Lucho after that might be that little bit more appreciated.

Edit. The feeling of fatigue of the recent obsession with our holy system is well demonstrated in the message above.

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Martino. Potentially a very clever choice and brings about an exciting element of freshness.

Lucho will get his chance again in the future, he has plenty of time to be Barca coach plus I want to see how he does with Celta.

nebeer

Love is All
Well, I had no idea about who Tata was until a couple of days back. And now strangely enough I've started to like the guy somehow. Enrique could have offered all the super fitness routines that he would have brought with him (which Barca can use a great deal); but still then Tata has a strange appeal about him. And now it seems it doesn't really matter who we vote, it's almost certain to be Tata anyways. He's flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms with Barca. It wouldn't have gotten that far without it being a done deal already. So now I guess what will follow are mere formalities. If it's him, I will be really eager to see how he coaches.

Starting to lean towards Tata, since we need change, and someone who isn't connected to the club could be perfect for that. And I hear he likes possession football, so it's not like he'll attempt a complete revolution. Oh, and he likes pressing, which is something we desperately need.

IMO, the coach is the most important position in the team (perhaps this is part of why I criticize Tito so heavily) so I'm still not sure about giving the job to inexperienced guys like those 2. It worked with Pep (and they have more experience than he did then), but it didn't with Tito (no offense to him, but he's not a good coach imo, at least not good enough for Barca).

Still, it'll almost certainly be one of those 2, so I suppose I have no choice but to hope they turn out like Pep :p

Last edited:

Qonny

I'm all in for big (somewhat) changes and some freshness in the transfer policy, and would therefore prefer Martino.

jamrock

still going with Luis, he probably did a better job with the b team than pep, won't use Roman to judge him, look at roma before and since they are just crap.

plus i don't trust rosell's football iQ

Faceless

No more faces at night
It would be interesting to see things differently this time but I still would want a person who is more familiar with the club and its ways.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
TATA Martino- 7 things you should know

1) A move to Barcelona wouldn't be Tata's first spell in Europe and, indeed, his brief adventure on that very continent as a player included a trip to the Camp Nou. Way back on the 2 March, 1991, Tata was handed his Tenerife debut on Barcelona soil and, in a strange coincidence, at the other end of the pitch in the FCB goal was Andoni Zubizarreta, the very man who will now hire him as Barcelona coach. The game wasn't a classic, ending 1-0 to Barca thanks to a penalty from Bulgarian star Hristo Stoichkov.

2) Tata's Barcelona links don't stop there. The last team the Argentine played for in his career was Barcelona, but not the Catalan one. In 1996 he played briefly for Barcelona de Guayaquil in Ecuador, before retiring from the game.

3) Several of the Barca players will remember Tata well from his spell as a Paraguay boss. The coach led the South American side in an unlikely run to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals, before they were defeated 1-0 by Spain in Johannesburg. The game was fiercely contested and Paraguay had a chance to score before Spain, seeing a penalty saved by Iker Casillas, before David Villa eventually settled the clash with the only goal of the game in the 83rd minute.

4) Tata is a 'pupil' of Marcelo Bielsa, who most recently spent time at Athletic Bilbao, leading them to Copa del Rey and Europa League finals in 2012. Martino was a key payer in Bielsa's Newell's side of the early 1990s and his own style is said to have taken much from his former master. That is particularly appropriate, as the contemporary Barcelona side also owes much to Bielsa's methods. Pep Guardiola famously made a trip to Argentina to learn from Bielsa prior to his first steps as a manager, and it is El Loco's frantic pressing game that Guardiola used to revolutionise Barcelona's football.

5) In an excellent article on Tata from 2012, Euan Marshall looked at the manager's style at Newell's. Clear similarities between his methods and those that have worked well at Barcelona in recent years jump out from the page. Notably, the concept of 'attacking as one, defending as one' that was enforced by Pep Guardiola is also shared by Tata, while Verticalidad, literally verticalness in English, or the idea of moving the ball quickly from back to front, was a key pillar of Tito Vilanova's league-winning FCB outfit. The idea of always having three passing options for the player in possession is also hugely important to Barca's football.

6) Martino has eulogised Barcelona in the past, saying he "identifies" with their style, and that they have an "ability to keep the ball in tight spaces that few teams can match". He also noted that he didn't like the "unjustified" criticisms of the team in recent years, so by the sounds of things, he ticks all the right boxes for getting the Barca supporters on side.

7) As for how the man himself defines his football, Tata has noted in the past that he expects his teams to be "protagonists, who don't wait [around], who are aggressive in recovering the ball and getting it forward well. There isn't room for speculation." It's easy to see how that would fit well at the Camp Nou.

talksport

Irish_Cules

I'm leaning towards Tata at the moment. He seems to tick all the right boxes so I would be happy to see him appointed. I would love to see Luis Enrique as Barca coach some day but I think it might be too soon for him. Hopefully he does well at Celta and he can become Barca manager in a few years. If he came to Barca and failed it would be a major blow to his managerial career.
I wouldn't be unhappy with either of them really. Both appointments contain an element of risk but I think Tata is the safer/better choice for now.

Tezemery

I never knew of Tata till this week but he sounds ideal, i don't think you can wrong with either Luis Enrique or Tata but out of respect for Celta it should be Tata.

ebc_99

I only heard of Tata this weekend but have looked up info on him and he seems to be a good fit.

At this point I think it is important to bring in someone from outside the club who can bring a new outlook and can shake things up abit. I think that was a problem with Tito as he worked with these players for 4 years and formed relationships with them before he was manager, Martino can come straight in and it will be a new start for everyone and hopefully he will pick players on who he think deserves it rather than reputation.

It is a pity the likes of Deufelou are already on loan, maybe Martino would have like to keep him and others around.

Home of Barca Fans