25 - Wojciech Szczęsny

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Early childhood for me, I remember more Busquets, the goalkeeper and how terrible he was. Zubi? Not so much.

Yesterday I had this thought about Barca GKs - stumbled upon a Porto era Mourinho video, anyone remember Vitor Baia used to play for Barca? Where does he rank?

I liked him but he was prone to blunders.
I remember distinctly that Barca wanted Kopke after his great Euro but we already had a deal with Baia and couldn't back out.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sadly, he’s the best we could do considering the circumstances but I think he is an average keeper, prone to blunders that would make Valdes blush

I think Iñaki can outplay him but the pole in goal has physical metrics (1.95m vs 1.82m) that are pluses

serghei

An interesting stat is goals against / xg faced / 90 mins played.

Stegen last season was 14th in the league, with +0.03. So he almost received just as many goals as the quality of chances he faced would've indicated.

Lunin for example sat on 4th, with +0.20. Better than him were Valles (+0.21), Simon (+0.23), and on 1st Mamardashvili (+0.28).

I highly doubt Szcezny is not going to produce better shot stopping than Stegen does usually. Maybe if he's over the hill and heavily declined.

serghei

Maybe Sczezny is not the solution, not even a temporary one, but the necessity to replace Stegen with a serious keeper able to compare vs the best in Europe is huge. I don't even dare to expect amazing saves regularly, but at least get somebody that is not usually average and produces one top season for every 4-5 mediocre ones or worse.

One of the most key positions in football, if not THE ONE, and Barca keeps fucking around and dragging the team down by tolerating mediocrity time and time again.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Kopke had his swan song at Euro 1996. He was what was considered final days as pro at 34-35 back then.

60e770d590931.png

I remembered correctly. 28 years ago :lol:

malvolio

Sadly, he’s the best we could do considering the circumstances but I think he is an average keeper, prone to blunders that would make Valdes blush

I think Iñaki can outplay him but the pole in goal has physical metrics (1.95m vs 1.82m) that are pluses
Probably one of the most level headed takes in this thread.

Home of Barca Fans