World Cup 2018

West Saxon

I'd be scared shitless of Sweden, these guys are the real survivors of this shit.
Sweden are a big concern, that will be a difficult game. They are physical, well-organised, devoted to their cause and will not give up, which is how they're punching well above their weight. They've got a great record against England too, so we will have to fight hard for the win.

Also, on another topic, I get very tired of people saying sides like Sweden are "boring" for "parking the bus". The job of a national team is to win for their country, not to entertain foreigners. It's like when Iceland played Argentina, people seriously expected them to play open, when they'd get killed 5-0 if they did that. Teams are perfectly entitled to use any legal means they can to give themselves the best chance of advancing. If people find it boring then that's what the TV remote is for. It's very brattish to demand to be entertained.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure people would me more excited had Germany, Argentina and Spain remained in knock-outs but you have to remember that teams that beat them are here on merit. Football changed somewhat and difference between teams (even club football is showing it) isn't that big anymore. Tactics, physical preparation increased to higher level and talent doesn't play that huge difference as it used to.

West Saxon

I am sure people would me more excited had Germany, Argentina and Spain remained in knock-outs but you have to remember that teams that beat them are here on merit. Football changed somewhat and difference between teams (even club football is showing it) isn't that big anymore. Tactics, physical preparation increased to higher level and talent doesn't play that huge difference as it used to.
I couldn't agree more. I read comments on other parts of the internet from people who are angry that Russia, Sweden, and England are at this stage at the expense of Spain, Germany, and Argentina. That's basically elitist, they just want the same old handful of teams in the quarter and semi-finals every year. Well, football doesn't work like that - big names count for nothing, you have to earn the right by winning your games. I think it's great for football that underdogs can go far if they have a well-executed game plan and a good team spirit. If the winner isn't England, I hope it's one of the other teams from our bracket.

West Saxon

Leicester played some great football and had two world class players in their midst ...Kante and Mahrez ..

We've got a half decent centre forward and the others ...
Leicester had a game plan which centred on being solid, staying in the game, and then using Mahrez and Vardy to hurt teams on the counter. I'd argue they didn't have a single world-class player, but a few very good ones like Kante, Mahrez, and Vardy, and then a host of solid ones like Schmeichel, Morgan, Huth, and Drinkwater, who all did a good job but are nothing special. They had some luck along the way, but the main thing they had was balls of steel. They were incredibly resilient, scoring late goals to earn draws and wins, bouncing back from defeats with a run of victories, never giving up.

England demonstrated the same quality against Colombia. I really thought we'd lose on penalties after the equaliser; previous England teams would have crumbled, yet this one dug in and won the game, even after going behind on penalties. It's very encouraging that we can win even when not playing well and when things go wrong for us.

Also, Kane is more than half-decent. He's probably the best #9 in the world who's not named Ronaldo.

gsgosal

Leicester had a game plan which centred on being solid, staying in the game, and then using Mahrez and Vardy to hurt teams on the counter. I'd argue they didn't have a single world-class player, but a few very good ones like Kante, Mahrez, and Vardy, and then a host of solid ones like Schmeichel, Morgan, Huth, and Drinkwater, who all did a good job but are nothing special. They had some luck along the way, but the main thing they had was balls of steel. They were incredibly resilient, scoring late goals to earn draws and wins, bouncing back from defeats with a run of victories, never giving up.

England demonstrated the same quality against Colombia. I really thought we'd lose on penalties after the equaliser; previous England teams would have crumbled, yet this one dug in and won the game, even after going behind on penalties. It's very encouraging that we can win even when not playing well and when things go wrong for us.

Also, Kane is more than half-decent. He's probably the best #9 in the world who's not named Ronaldo.

- leicester had no pressure, relied heavily on sports science something england squad has in common

BUT

- Leicester high pressed, were super fit to do that and got LOADS of goals on the counter. Kane is not that sort of player. England don't have Kante to intercept or get the ball from nothing

Givenchy

unbelievable the amount of hate were getting. this is imo one of the most likeable England teams we've had in terms of personalities etc, Columbia are bitter cunts.

its coming home

West Saxon

- leicester had no pressure, relied heavily on sports science something england squad has in common

BUT

- Leicester high pressed, were super fit to do that and got LOADS of goals on the counter. Kane is not that sort of player. England don't have Kante to intercept or get the ball from nothing
Yeah, I'm not saying the playing style is identical, but there are similarities. That Leicester side rarely won by more than a 2-goal margin, but it was always able to stay competitive in games and win or draw even without playing well. England showed signs of that vs Colombia and got the win in VERY difficult circumstances when in previous years, we would have been crushed by the disappointment of the equaliser or even by Henderson's penalty miss. It's a good sign not just for the rest of the tournament but going forward.

gsgosal

Yeah, I'm not saying the playing style is identical, but there are similarities. That Leicester side rarely won by more than a 2-goal margin, but it was always able to stay competitive in games and win or draw even without playing well. England showed signs of that vs Colombia and got the win in VERY difficult circumstances when in previous years, we would have been crushed by the disappointment of the equaliser or even by Henderson's penalty miss. It's a good sign not just for the rest of the tournament but going forward.

The media, the manager and everyone in general have played down Englands chances. So there is no pressure on the players...IDENTICAL to Leicesters winning season. I obviously supported Leicester closely, few games where luck came in esp with a Morgan/Huth late header. But overall Leicester played exceptional, and as one unit. If I had to make a similarity to any current team still in WC , I would say current Sweden team. Play as a solid unit, real underdogs, but lack the world class level players/final finish

Morten

Cavani has been ruled out against France, it seems.
It sucks when we have these big matches, and key players gets injuried, much like with James vs England.

Suarez will be mostly on his own, so i guess its largely down to the Uruguay defense if they are to go through here.

FCBfan22

Cavani has been ruled out against France, it seems.
It sucks when we have these big matches, and key players gets injuried, much like with James vs England.

Suarez will be mostly on his own, so i guess its largely down to the Uruguay defense if they are to go through here.

From what I have read, he'll start on the bench, but he's likely to appear later in the game. He's not ready to play full 90, but he can play some of the minutes.

mesiesta

2002 France - Uruguay 0-0
2008 France - Uruguay 0-0
2010 France - Uruguay 0-0
2012 France - Uruguay 0-0
2013 Uruguay - France 1-0

1 goal only in last 5 matches between France and Uruguay. Do we expect goals today? :D

Home of Barca Fans