World Cup 2022

JohnN

I have seen plenty of old match highlight reels, but never a full match. Decided to watch the 86 WC match between Argentina and England as it was the defining (and arguably best) match of Maradona's legacy and the main talking point in discussions about goats, boats etc..

These are my observations:
1. The overall level of play was literally, and without any hyperbole, way below current segunda level.
2. The speed of play is marginally comparable to a veteran game of 45 year olds today.
3. The field was atrocious, the ball didn't slide like it does today, and even overpowered passes could be reached due to the ball gradually stopping.
4. Only the player with the ball was properly marked. Closing down of passing lanes was almost non existent, runs behind and even crosses were mostly not covered and overall defending can be summarized in this: "slide tackling and countless mistakes".
5. Argentina were a much better team than England and dominated them the whole game. They were at least a class above in technical ability and speed, English players actually look like shepherds and farmers trying to kick a ball and failing.
6. Everyone tried to make back heel passes as much as they could even if they failed 90% of the time.

How can anyone compare teams and players from that era to modern ones? The game was borderline amateur level. I can only imagine what an actual game looked like in the 60s when Pele ruled, and don't really want to waste a minute of my life watching that shit.

Let the old dudes romanticize about that era and the legendary players it had, but do not be fooled. Every single player of today is way beyond better than any player of those times. Not even worth a comparison. Just compare players against others of their own time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen plenty of old match highlight reels, but never a full match. Decided to watch the 86 WC match between Argentina and England as it was the defining (and arguably best) match of Maradona's legacy and the main talking point in discussions about goats, boats etc..

These are my observations:
1. The overall level of play was literally, and without any hyperbole, way below current segunda level.
2. The speed of play is marginally comparable to a veteran game of 45 year olds today.
3. The field was atrocious, the ball didn't slide like it does today, and even overpowered passes could be reached due to the ball gradually stopping.
4. Only the player with the ball was properly marked. Closing down of passing lanes was almost non existent, runs behind and even crosses were mostly not covered and overall defending can be summarized in this: "slide tackling and countless mistakes".
5. Argentina were a much better team than England and dominated them the whole game. They were at least a class above in technical ability and speed, English players actually look like shepherds and farmers trying to kick a ball and failing.
6. Everyone tried to make back heel passes as much as they could even if they failed 90% of the time.

How can anyone compare teams and players from that era to modern ones? The game was borderline amateur level. I can only imagine what an actual game looked like in the 60s when Pele ruled, and don't really want to waste a minute of my life watching that shit.

Let the old dudes romanticize about that era and the legendary players it had, but do not be fooled. Every single player of today is way beyond better than any player of those times. Not even worth a comparison. Just compare players against others of their own time.

As if those very players given the today's training, regimen, nutrition and everything else provided by today's tech and money wouldn't adapt. It's as if comparing a modern soldier with a knight.

Messigician

Official

✅Argentina Starting XI against France :

Emiliano Mart?nez

Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acu?a

Di Mar?a, De Paul, Enzo , Mac Allister;

Leo Messi. Juli?n ?lvarez.

JohnN

As if those very players given the today's training, regimen, nutrition and everything else provided by today's tech and money wouldn't adapt. It's as if comparing a modern soldier with a knight.

We can't say that actually. That's why my conclusion is to not compare them to start with.
People say "What would Maradona do with today's training, nutrition etc..". Well probably be pub level player due to his abysmal work ethic.

El Gato

Villarato!

Can hypothesize, can't test, can't know that they would
Can just as easily claim third/half/all of them would get addicted to social media, start second guessing themselves destroying confidence/embellishing the terrible traits of character and become nowhere near the player you think they would despite all tools at disposal, despite talent they have that you think would persist irrespective of era.

Which is why silly to claim any player today compares to those 30-50-70 years ago. Different challenges, standards of refereeing, workload, working conditions etc
Can only really claim which you enjoyed watching more or who you think excelled most in their era

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Lloris - Kounde, Varane, Upamecano, T. Hernandez - Griezmann, Tchouameni, Rabiot - Dembele, Giroud, Mbappe

Haha noone sick/injured after all

raskolnikov

Lloris - Kounde, Varane, Upamecano, T. Hernandez - Griezmann, Tchouameni, Rabiot - Dembele, Giroud, Mbappe

Haha noone sick/injured after all

That was mindgames of course. Look at those two teams on paper and I dont get why its even odds to win?
We will see if the fire of Argentina and Messi on his last legs will make the difference people think.

Home of Barca Fans