Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
The only thing I didn't like was Dembele and Ferran changing sides in the second half. I think it ruined our right-hand side, where Dembele was combining well before the change.

JamDav1982

The only thing I didn't like was Dembele and Ferran changing sides in the second half. I think it ruined our right-hand side, where Dembele was combining well before the change.

Think that was to do with the full backs stopping pushing on nearly as much in second half. Probably the sides he thinks best for them to be wider and more isolated on and trying to break and get balls into box from wide when on.

Windhook

My version is that Dembouz struggled with breaking through Gaya's zone, of course he made the assist to Frenkie's goal, but besides this there was nothing else to remember. Xavi's experiment didn't give any results.

gregorrin10

Pragmatic game with less dominance on ball possesion. Results matter and this game proves we can go for away W's without the tiki-taka. Worrying trend are the bad subs early in the 2nd half, Mingueza was poor yet again.

I think Garcia was subbed off as a precaution due to a knock. Didn't really have any other options than Mingueza today. Maybe only Frenkie, but I'd be a shame and an injustice to deprive our midfield of him.

Windhook

I think Garcia was subbed off as a precaution due to a knock. Didn't really have any other options than Mingueza today. Maybe only Frenkie, but I'd be a shame and an injustice to deprive our midfield of him.

Yeah, I agree, Xavi had no other option, but this is not the first time his substitutions are not clicking. Today's game was 1 bad with Mingi, one fantastic with Pedri and two neutrals with Luuk and Adama, who contributed with nothing.

Sailor Mars

Atleast he is integrating some pace and mobility into the team. Messi-Suarez combos were boring to watch in their last 2-3 seasons together, plus an aging midfield too.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if we're scoring because or in spite of his tactics. Getting the ball wide by long balls and then crossing in seems to be what gets us best results.

khaled_a_d

There is improvement in attack, but defense isn't clicking and he reads the opponent change of tactics a bit late.
There is clear direction and improvement though

Bobo32

Don't know if we're scoring because or in spite of his tactics. Getting the ball wide by long balls and then crossing in seems to be what gets us best results.

The goals today were very nice and not because of that sort of tactic. Great players playing together came up with good combinations on two goals, and then there were one good shot from distance and one nice run nicely found by a great ball playing CB.
I think though that Xavi and Barcelona had a bit of luck today with two VAR goals disallowed etc.

FCBfan22

He needs to implement position competition back. Yes, he won't do it in CDM spot (Busi is cemented in the XI at the moment), but if he can get others to push eachother for starting spots, that would be great. He is on the right path IMO. Haven't had this since... I dare to say... Pep.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
My version is that Dembouz struggled with breaking through Gaya's zone, of course he made the assist to Frenkie's goal, but besides this there was nothing else to remember. Xavi's experiment didn't give any results.

Dembele gave the crucial pass to Gavi before Auba's second goal.

Windhook

There is improvement in attack, but defense isn't clicking and he reads the opponent change of tactics a bit late.
There is clear direction and improvement though

Simply put we lack the quality in that area, in defence. Araujo is arguably the only one who performs on a decent level this season. Although there are clearly improvements in this area, we still concede goals and our defensive wall looks shaky, as it did today. Hope we get Koulibaly from Napoli to add some physicality to our defending, Pique is just not out there anymore in body and mind, sadly.

Dembele gave the crucial pass to Gavi before Auba's second goal.

Yes, he did, that was a brilliant pass.

Last edited:

serghei

Pluses for Xavi so far:

- excellent attitude regarding most aspects of the team, really constructive and ambitious manager
- the team plays faster than in previous years
- pressing is back, at least for spells, and is pretty potent and aggressive
- rotates the squad pretty well overall
- is getting the points even vs bigger teams, and even with this weaker squad: beat Villareal, Valencia away (while scoring 3 and 4 goals even), beat Atletico home (again 3 goals), drew against Sevilla away (should have won that one as well).

Now on to the bad ones, even though for some non-possession fans these would not be negatives:

- not really a tiki-taka manager, more like a Rijkaard type, consistently playing too conservative when in leads, even though there is potential to score goals as opponents open up more
- I expected to keep the ball better tbh and defend with the ball, whereas Xavi is again pretty conservative
- his subs are pretty inconsistent, sometimes being detrimental to the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans