Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joan

Xavi should start Gavi in midfield vs Frankfurt. He's the only regular player consistently providing intensity, movement, tenacity and control between the lines, absolutely crucial against pressing teams. Changed the match today. Without players like him, the attack is disconnected and toothless, just hoping for crosses or one-off balls over the top.

What lineup would you go with? Pedri-less one, I presume?

Birdy

bit of a lucky win--left it late today

man, we can really push for the league next season if we keep this up

XAvi should go for a box in md, that he had played several times in Nov Dec
FDJ next to Busi, Gavi and Pedri more advanced

No way we can survive their intensity with Busi single pivot, and behind him Erir or semi-injured Pique (or worse: even clown Lenglet)

SmilerBam

For a team in transition and not exactly brimming with talent( for a Barcelona team), he is doing ok. No one would do a better job than Xavi with this current squad. Except of Klopp and Pep of course, i'm talking about the others.

Iniesta Ultra

Xavi had a nervous guilty look on his face most the match and rightfully so for starting Nico. Switching Nico with FDJ at 30ish min to hide the dead space filler then back again after half time was just inane. Xavi might keep lucking out to cover his favoritism and doubling down on his poor choices but just embarrassing to watch.

BerkeleyBernie

Have a hunch BerkeleyBernie would. Gavi - Busquets - de Jong.

Gavi - Busquets - de Jong is more conservative than Gavi - Busquets - Pedri. Certainly would have been better than today's starting lineup. I'd rather see Gavi's dynamism working on the right with Dembele and the slower Pedri on the left. FDJ is kinda Rakitic 2.0 for me. Improved under Xavi but not yet a decisive offensive weapon of any kind.

Iniesta Ultra

FDJ is kinda Rakitic 2.0 for me. Improved under Xavi but not yet a decisive offensive weapon of any kind.

Good comparison. Don't think I'll ever cope with the real Xavi/Iniesta replacement being discriminated/benched. Gavi lacks refinement, vision and precision and Pedri intensity, confidence, and risk-taking.

BusiTheKing

So we've stopped pushing again. Sevilla, Frankfurt and Levante all had worrying signs of protagonist syndrome.

It's always been the intrinsic hazard of possession football, this mentality that if you have the ball and handle it smartly and sensibly, then things will work themselves out eventually.

We need to do like Pep and weed out any signs of this as soon as they appear. It's our kryptonite.

JamDav1982

No easy for Xavi when team playing every 3/4 days and majority of team are before or after peak years physically.

There is a lot to be said for the belief he has in team at moment and way they are finding a way every game.

Also the teams are reacting to Barcas set up and finding new ways to stop it which is all part of the game and for Xavi/Barca to learn from.

Bit worrying how much joy teams are getting from just hitting channels early as soon as get on ball and exposing Alves legs and space left by Alba. Cant have two full back areas that easy to target.

OGbarca

Banned
XAvi should go for a box in md, that he had played several times in Nov Dec
FDJ next to Busi, Gavi and Pedri more advanced

No way we can survive their intensity with Busi single pivot, and behind him Erir or semi-injured Pique (or worse: even clown Lenglet)

agree. i think busi has upped his game in the last couple of months but next year hell be even older (of course, lol) and presumably less capable. provided we can offload the likes of lenglet and snatch a promising (i.e. at least somewhat dependable) defender we should be ok, more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans