Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamrock

Another tactical failure, but he will learn & improve, I understand in need for width, but we have to be able to open teams up down the middle as well with our passing.

Joan

I think squad overachieved in previous games and we also had Pique, Araujo and Pedri to help. Some players like Adama, Auba and Torres had their honeymoon period which is now over.

Yeah, on another day we might have won vs Cadiz, but that would have masked the squad level for a bit.

Honeymoon period which isn't all about players' quality.

Imo overreacting. Sure we're not City or Pool but wins against Cadiz wouldn't be masking the squad's level.

malvolio

Honeymoon period which isn't all about players' quality.

Imo overreacting. Sure we're not City or Pool but wins against Cadiz wouldn't be masking the squad's level.

Overreacting is people thinking we're better than we actually are. When in fact there is no coincidence or bad luck that we are in this position of not playing for anything and to even sweat about finishing in top 4 or not.

Honeymoon period for most of these players we've signed that were scrubs(bench material) in other teams. The initial boost of confidence and good form is wearing off and you're left with some duds that can't be counted on as starters, if you as club really want to compete.

JamDav1982

Overreacting is people thinking we're better than we actually are. When in fact there is no coincidence or bad luck that we are in this position of not playing for anything and to even sweat about finishing in top 4 or not.

Honeymoon period for most of these players we've signed that were scrubs(bench material) in other teams. The initial boost of confidence and good form is wearing off and you're left with some duds that can't be counted on as starters, if you as club really want to compete.

What is the future for Torres and Auba now honeymoon period over?

The bigger issue has been tactically these past few games for me.

No player has played well in these games.

Last edited:

stb_1

Because they consider him non Barca DNA material, not a spanish speaker I guess, not the type of manager who plays "possesion football" all this bullshit again but maybe they are considering him just like they wanted to hire Flick back in the day.

Tuchel does play possession football tho..

JamDav1982

Passing the ball about in midfield as opposition sit off and let you have ball until go wide for a cross is not what Barca is about and that is what has been case for the past few games and some others.

Crossing ball well into a legitimate target is something all clubs do but when only real threat bar moments of individual magic to open a team up they will quickly learn how to limit it and expose team on break.

Barca had a lot of ball in past few games but far from possession football or what Barca is about. Could have less of ball and play in much more of a Barca way.

mc_lovin

It's a bit mad to make it a tactical issue when we nose-dived after the international break. Players just don't look as sharp as before. It's a different problem, but one Xavi also needs to learn from.

Anyway, not much harm done. The next transfer window will decide whether we challenge or not. Personally I got carried away a bit after our good run of games... our biggest problem is still player quality. The back-line was shambles.

ajnotkeith

It's a bit mad to make it a tactical issue when we nose-dived after the international break. Players just don't look as sharp as before. It's a different problem, but one Xavi also needs to learn from.

Anyway, not much harm done. The next transfer window will decide whether we challenge or not. Personally I got carried away a bit after our good run of games... our biggest problem is still player quality. The back-line was shambles.
Our squad is easily the 2nd best in LaLiga and almost on par with Madrid, it is only that they have a supercharged Benzema in the form of his life.

It's not just about results, we are getting outplayed and outcoached recently. A player that we consider a weak point in Auba is a player that Cadiz would beg to have. Our players are much better than theirs but but didn't show it.

It's not the end of the world, we were bound to stop overperforming and scoring wondergoals, but we do need to recognise the right issues and not just blame it on quality because if we lose the next game Betis can draw even with us.

Although yes, Lenglet and Garcia do suck and good it is becoming more evident so Xavi doesn't trust Garcia anymore.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

He also doesn't have many losses, just a lot of initial draws. Bit misleading with the small sample size and the state of the squad before Jan.

He needs to improve but we were decidedly midtable when we got him, and now we're in the top 4 mix.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He also doesn't have many losses, just a lot of initial draws. Bit misleading with the small sample size and the state of the squad before Jan.

He needs to improve but we were decidedly midtable when we got him, and now we're in the top 4 mix.

Was it Xavi or the buys of the new players in january which brought us to top4? Anyways, im optimistic Xavi will be successful.

Iniesta Ultra

Would think we're in a doomsday scenario after scrolling through this thread.

It's not overreacting if we want to become great again. Xavi's proven consistently he's stubborn at best or playing personal interests at worst with Torres' and Pedri's infinity leash, Puig sequestration, and Burnley plus minimal value isolated segregated possession tactics. I posted in the match chat yesterday the team's passing predominantly reactively where players are looking for outlets after defenders close them down leading to many turnovers, instead of proactively where players should be creating outlets and potential combinations off the ball ahead of defensive action. Dembele was getting the Adama treatment recently, dribbles galore while everyone else stays marked and unavailable. I do see Alba making runs off the ball but Gavi, Torres, and Pedri ignore him a lot and resort to back passing and recycling dead end possession. It appears players don't even want the ball and afraid to give it to the elders in tight passing lanes. Xavi, Iniesta, and Busi never feared making high precision passes to beat defenders in small spaces. When I saw Xavi play not once did he ever consider "inside lanes closed" (opposing team owns midfield right now do not enter do not pass through). I'm happy he was honest about his lack of faith but still shocking to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans