Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He did good today... One thing that caught my attention is how the subs were very late in the game, like he didn't want to mess it up, almost like he knows the bench players aren't good enough...

JohnN

It was a great display against Madrid and a good morale booster.
What is kind of weird, is their approach towards the game and their defensive attitude.

To beat this Barca you have two options:
1. Press as hard as you can. Perhaps with the extra midfielder / inside winger we had in Gavi and a double pivot, this was not sustainable, which is great news because, it's our main weakness playing out from the back Or they simply lack the stamina currently to do it. Or Ancelotti fucked up.
2. Park the double decker bus. Every team has difficulty breaking the bus, but Madrid didn't use the tactic, which they often do.

The played too casually, without much hussle, which means they played to our strengths.

One question I have is this. Why can't Fati play the Gavi role? Will we lose so much control you reckon? I say this, because he is a bigger threat (theoretically, as Gavi was astonishing this game) in front of goal.

jamrock

Because gavi gives us more control in midfield & his work rate is way higher than fati's for when the game becomes intense.

Last edited:

Messi983

Apparently he said team was unfairly criticised and now they'll have more calmness to work. :lol:

Until the next game. We know how things are here.

But he's right that this should be a big morale boost for the team. First trophy in two years (which seems like an eternity) and first without Messi. Yes, it's only Supercopa but you have to start somewhere.

And it's also how and against who we won it. To improve morale of the team I would also give importance to this trophy if we'd beat Valencia in the final or if we'd get a scrappy win agains these Madrid bastards (when it comes to Finals and/or El clasicos there are no "ugly" wins imo, you either win or you don't). But winning it in this fashion against Madrid makes it even more important.

This trophy won't mean much longterm if we won't win La Liga though. Madrid has shown their weaknesses so it's up to us to keep winning league games and finally get that title back. Should be our absolute priority, anything else we can do in Copa or EL is just a bonus.

Messi983

One question I have is this. Why can't Fati play the Gavi role? Will we lose so much control you reckon? I say this, because he is a bigger threat (theoretically, as Gavi was astonishing this game) in front of goal.

Keeping control is one reason, other is Gavi is just a better player than Fati (who besides being physically limited also lost two years of development because of injuries) right now and he's also fit to play every 3-4 days. That doesn't mean he should start every game though.

JamDav1982

It was a great display against Madrid and a good morale booster.
What is kind of weird, is their approach towards the game and their defensive attitude.

To beat this Barca you have two options:
1. Press as hard as you can. Perhaps with the extra midfielder / inside winger we had in Gavi and a double pivot, this was not sustainable, which is great news because, it's our main weakness playing out from the back Or they simply lack the stamina currently to do it. Or Ancelotti fucked up.
2. Park the double decker bus. Every team has difficulty breaking the bus, but Madrid didn't use the tactic, which they often do.

The played too casually, without much hussle, which means they played to our strengths.

Fati could do the attacking part better probably if both there consistently but it is a bit of a hybrid role of midfielder/AM and even the wide player at times and wont get the midfielder sides from Fati.

Horses for courses though as there will be other games it is less about the midfield battle and having four in there and Gavi supporting the striker. When teams sit deeeper.

For those type of games it would be good to see Gavi improve as a CM... finding space better, more range on ball, better carrying the ball etc. But he is clearly very good for 18 and does a lot of things well.

I doubt very many teams will allow the space Gavi had yesterday to run in behind from that role.. but that is also on Barca for creating that space and takinh advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans