Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That Lewandowski was three or four years younger. Building everything around Lewandowski is just stupid at this point. He is the focal point though and have been, he just need to perform better and more consistently.

ajnotkeith

Some of it is just interpretation. "I'm sorry, but Barcelona are not made to play the Europa League." On one hand it's good he recognises that we shouldn't be there. On the other hand he needs to humble himself and realise if that's where we are then we have to fight for that title. You can never think you're too good for something, especially when you're there 2 years in a row.

And "it does not motivate the players". Is this an admission of being incapable of motivating the players? Sounds like it. Who cares if the players don't want to be in that competition, that's where they are. Either motivate them or we should get someone in who can.

It's also weak mentality, after the fact of going out of the europa league. Like say this shit at the start of the season not when we've gone out. Almost sounds like he's saying something really immature "Yeah well we didn't even want to be in that stinky competition anyway"
He also said 'People ask for the CL, but we are not at the financial level of City, Madrid, Bayern (lol), Juventus (lol)'. The guy seriously has a mentality issue when it comes to Europe.
After we've just seen Inter who are completely broke and a squad full of pensioners get to the final and deserved to win against a Pep coached petrostate team.

Part of the problem with Barca in Europe is the mentality he has. We are actually a great team and at our best can beat anyone, but he plays us down and makes us seem like minnows in any European game.

Maybe he will learn and grow out of that.

Horatio

You're welcome
Xavi is right to say that stuff regarding CL and EL. As soon as he sounds apologetic towards EL the team will get complacent and start thinking not making it through CL group stage is not end of the world. Wrong mentality.

ajnotkeith

Xavi is right to say that stuff regarding CL and EL. As soon as he sounds apologetic towards EL the team will get complacent and start thinking not making it through CL group stage is not end of the world. Wrong mentality.
Just empty words when he says at the same time you can't expect the team to win CL because we don't spend as much as City.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Despite our La Liga title I just don't think Xavi is a good manager, however he has time to improve and could improve considerably next season so let's see.

It's a bit like Pioli at Milan IMO. Just perfect circumstances.

BJJ

Xavi is asking for a €30m gross combined salary for him and his staff. As of now, their demands are far from what the club want to pay.

— @manucarreno
Does anyone have any comparisons with other big clubs?

Seems excessive, given our financial situation and the fact that Xavi is Barca DNA.

jamrock

Does inter playing pep & city pretty much 50/50 make the lost we had against them a bit more understandable now?.

They aren't some shit team that can be walked over.

Or we still saying we are better, they are mediocre/poor and no excuses?.

Just genuinely wondering

Daisymorr

Does inter playing pep & city pretty much 50/50 make the lost we had against them a bit more understandable now?.

They aren't some shit team that can be walked over.

Or we still saying we are better, they are mediocre/poor and no excuses?.

Just genuinely wondering
That is an average Inter Team. My opinion is that we should aim to be a lot better than that Inter Team.
Inter competed very well tonight and showed they have heart - but thats about it. They have nothing special about them.

City had a really bad off night and still won.

We wont always have forwards like MSN or the great 09-11 Team but we should still be beating that Inter Team in my opinion.

BJJ

That is an average Inter Team. My opinion is that we should aim to be a lot better than that Inter Team.
Inter competed very well tonight and showed they have heart - but thats about it. They have nothing special about them.

We wont always have forwards like MSN or the great 09-11 Team but we should still be beating that Inter Team in my opinion.
Well said.

I honestly think we have a better overall squad than Inter.

jamrock

Fair enough break down, but if the standard is we should only be losing to special teams, then you're saying this team is also a special team which it's not.

To lose to a good team, which inter has shown they are, isn't something unthinkable.

City had a really bad night because inter are a well coach & disciplined team, give the team some credit, if they went out and weren't set up well & didn't have good players, city is would have ran over them, like they do to so many poor teams, that didn't happen because of heart, it happen because they are good.

But fair enough breakdown.

Daisymorr

Fair enough break down, but if the standard is we should only be losing to special teams, then you're saying this team is also a special team which it's not.

To lose to a good team, which inter has shown they are, isn't something unthinkable.

City had a really bad night because inter are a well coach & disciplined team, give the team some credit, if they went out and weren't set up well & didn't have good players, city is would have ran over them, like they do to so many poor teams, that didn't happen because of heart, it happen because they are good.

But fair enough breakdown.
I can appreciate the fact that we can lose to good teams too. Not just great teams.
I think Inter/Barca are on similar levels currently but I would think that the likes of Lewandowski gives us the edge as better squad.

Maybe Inter are better coached or have more resilience about them, currently.
I think you are correct in saying Inter are a very well drilled team, better than us. Its pragmatic & playing to their strengths.
We have our philosophy, creative & attacking. Sometimes that can work against us if we dont have World Class players all over the field but I would not change that philosophy. Its the reason I support Barca.

delancey

I can appreciate the fact that we can lose to good teams too. Not just great teams.
I think Inter/Barca are on similar levels currently but I would think that the likes of Lewandowski gives us the edge as better squad.

Maybe Inter are better coached or have more resilience about them, currently.
I think you are correct in saying Inter are a very well drilled team, better than us. Its pragmatic & playing to their strengths.
We have our philosophy, creative & attacking. Sometimes that can work against us if we dont have World Class players all over the field but I would not change that philosophy. Its the reason I support Barca.
We have world class players, but we lack a world class manager. I mean… our second in charge is Oscar for goodness sake. :lol:

About Inter… the team was lucky in the CL knockout stage: Porto, Benfica, Milan. I very much doubt that Xavi (Oscar) would have beaten any of these teams, so credit where credit is due.

We probably have the worst manager of all top teams, which is why we have also underperformed massively in Europe. I wonder if Laporta will accept another European defeat next season? What he shouldn’t do is renew mediocrity on 30m per annum (for Xavi and his team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans