Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajnotkeith

Now it's a top team, not progress in Europe, like you guys song about all of last season, while undermining the league.

Yea okay, lol.

Just say what we were saying last season wasn't well reasoned, in no way does progress in Europe matters more than a League title.

No one will take a CL SF run over the league title
Progress in Europe = beating better teams. That's the point.

For Xavi's management we have been consistently going out to teams we shouldn't go out to, now that we got past Napoli, who are a slightly worse team than us at the moment, it is good, but it doesnt somehow cure all the concerns about him and Europe.

It will take a while and some good victories for him to prove that his European record isn't a concern anymore.
In isolation people would prefer a league title but that wasnt the point either, it wasnt about which one someone would pick, it was about how that related to Xavi and if hes the right man. The concern is that his terrible European record might reflect his ability as a manager and our success going forward.

JohnN

I want to be fair to Xavi.
trusting these 16 and 17 year olds isn't a given for any coach and it has paid off. also, he is doing his best trying to avoid playing Romeu. He has made a crucial mistake every time he played, and Xavibwas furious with his mistake again.
Lewandowski never getting subbed is a matter of status any coach would face.
on the negative side, we can't seem to close up games, even when we are much better.
also we had terrible performances this season.

jamrock

Progress in Europe = beating better teams. That's the point.

For Xavi's management we have been consistently going out to teams we shouldn't go out to, now that we got past Napoli, who are a slightly worse team than us at the moment, it is good, but it doesnt somehow cure all the concerns about him and Europe.

It will take a while and some good victories for him to prove that his European record isn't a concern anymore.
In isolation people would prefer a league title but that wasnt the point either, it wasnt about which one someone would pick, it was about how that related to Xavi and if hes the right man. The concern is that his terrible European record might reflect his ability as a manager and our success going forward.

You can only beat or be beaten by whoever is in front of your in Europe.

If we win the CL by playing PSV, Porto, AM, it's still a win.

Last season their was so many caveats to us not making it out the group stage, but instead of being reasonable about it, the forum did what it did best.

We had no business losing against frankfurt but shit happens.

And yes many including yourself said the league was shit and it doesn't matter if he won, only the CL is a true indicator of quality you changed after it was won, so I'll give you that.

ajnotkeith

You can only beat or be beaten by whoever is in front of your in Europe.

If we win the CL by playing PSV, Porto, AM, it's still a win.

Last season their was so many caveats to us not making it out the group stage, but instead of being reasonable about it, the forum did what it did best.

We had no business losing against frankfurt but shit happens.

And yes many including yourself said the league was shit and it doesn't matter if he won, only the CL is a true indicator of quality you changed after it was won, so I'll give you that.
Yeah but if we played those teams in the late stages of the CL it means they earned it as well by beating other top teams.

The league was easier last season for sure. Not meaningless though, sure. The main difference between this and last season for us in the league isn't our huge decline but more Madrid being far better. They have lost once all season.

Beating this Madrid to the league is a very big achievement but their version last season was very poor which is why many didnt care much about the title.

It is most probable Xavi is going to stay on anyway so we can see if time will tell if he wins any leagues again or does better in the CL.

jamrock

@jamrock

Do you believe Xavi is a very good manager and should stay?
My feelings about xavi is the same as it was last season.

He's a young manager with potential, that came in under very difficult circumstances and won us our first league title in 4 years.

What he solely did or didn't do in the CL doesn't affect how I perceive him, unlike most on here, who all said what they said last season, which by simple logic means they should now think he should stay.

Personally I think if he stayed one more season and had a fully fit squad it wouldn't be the end of the world, but that should be it for him 3.5-4 season is about as much as any barcelona manager should and can do.

First half a season got us to 2nd and played good Football.
2nd season won us the league.
3rd season so many bad calls and complete fuck ups by individuals, if we'd be in the title race right now.

He really hasn't be total shit the way some here try to make out, he just needs some more experience and to fine tune his ideas in football.

His football isn't as exciting as we all expected which is what has really done him in, in the eyes of many fans.

Last edited:

Blanco

He shows that he is learning from his mistakes. Good subs when Napoli were dominating at the start of the second half. In game management is/was one of his major flows and he is improving. I think you should give him another chance (it will be better financially for your club also), even though I understand the frustration in most barca fans with him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Again finding enemies in his head and strawman arguments by Xavi:
"People didn't believe me, said that I was going to lose the locker room."

Just enjoy your win you fool and stop acting like victim.

He also said he was going to be fired had we lost. Sounded very bitter.

Loser mentality gotta say.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

There are plenty people here who are genuinely fucked off Barca won. Napoli are shite all of a sudden. (They really ain't.) It was an equal game of all a sudden ( it really wasn't, Barca were far superior ).

Madrid will shit in us in the next round all of a sudden even though they got outplayed by Leipzig who are even worse than Napoli.

Arsenal will shit on us in the next round even though they just put in 2 shit performances against Porto that Xavi would have got crucified for.

Xavi had been plenty shite this season, but to pull off that performance with half a team from La Masia and two 17 year old is pretty damn impressive.

Givenchy

Xavi did well with what he had tonight, Romeu was a horrible sub and almost cost us but at least he made changes before the inevitable 2-2 happened. If Napoli managed to come back we probably collapse and end up losing.

I want to believe the defence can somehow get it's shit together and we are a dark horse but nah can't see it. A respectable exit vs one of the big boys next round is acceptable. Worth saying though, even if Xavi managed to win a CL I still want him gone.

Reactions: BJJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans