33) Milito - 1
34) Jeffren - 1
35) Iniesta - 1
36) Thiago - 1
37) Cesc - 1

Great Great Video allas..
thx for these stats too :)

lessthanjake

How good do you guys think Xavi will be considered in a historical sense?

I personally think conventional thought is changing on this. After 2009, I don't think Xavi was considered an all-time great. He had finished 5th in Ballon D'or voting in 2008, 3rd in 2009, won the Best Player award at Euro2008, and won the Champions League twice. However, he seemed likely to go down on a similar level as a player like Pirlo (and maybe even that was stretching it). Winning the World Cup really helped his case, but the dominance of Barca over the last year and a half has really changed things, I think. People truly think this might be the best team ever. Furthermore, while Messi rightly takes many of the plaudits for this, the incredible possession statistics and unique style of Barcelona has largely been attributed to Xavi. To be considered the key man in implementing a revolutionary style that was historically successful truly makes you an all time great.

And of course Xavi is not done yet. I think it would be silly to assume Xavi will win any more La Liga or Champions League trophies, but I certainly would not bet against it. I'd wager that Barcelona will probably win another Champions League and probably 2 more league titles before Xavi hangs it up. If that happened, Xavi would have 8 La Liga titles, 4 Champions League titles, a World Cup, a European Championship, as well as various smaller trophies (such as Copa Del Rey, 2 Club World Cups, and various Super Cups). That's incredibly impressive.

I think in the end Xavi will be considered on the same level as players like Zidane. Not that he's a similar player to Zidane (he's not); I just mean that he will be in the same breath when thinking of the very best midfielders of all time.

veryfatchocobo

How good do you guys think Xavi will be considered in a historical sense?

I personally think conventional thought is changing on this. After 2009, I don't think Xavi was considered an all-time great. He had finished 5th in Ballon D'or voting in 2008, 3rd in 2009, won the Best Player award at Euro2008, and won the Champions League twice. However, he seemed likely to go down on a similar level as a player like Pirlo (and maybe even that was stretching it). Winning the World Cup really helped his case, but the dominance of Barca over the last year and a half has really changed things, I think. People truly think this might be the best team ever. Furthermore, while Messi rightly takes many of the plaudits for this, the incredible possession statistics and unique style of Barcelona has largely been attributed to Xavi. To be considered the key man in implementing a revolutionary style that was historically successful truly makes you an all time great.

And of course Xavi is not done yet. I think it would be silly to assume Xavi will win any more La Liga or Champions League trophies, but I certainly would not bet against it. I'd wager that Barcelona will probably win another Champions League and probably 2 more league titles before Xavi hangs it up. If that happened, Xavi would have 8 La Liga titles, 4 Champions League titles, a World Cup, a European Championship, as well as various smaller trophies (such as Copa Del Rey, 2 Club World Cups, and various Super Cups). That's incredibly impressive.

I think in the end Xavi will be considered on the same level as players like Zidane. Not that he's a similar player to Zidane (he's not); I just mean that he will be in the same breath when thinking of the very best midfielders of all time.

He'll certainly be considered better than Pirlo. Probably even above Zidane.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
He'll be considered Spain's greatest ever player and amongst the handful of truly elite central-midfielders in footballing history when he retires.

If Barca retain the CL this year (or in the next few years) and Spain win the Euros, it'd be hard to argue against him being the best CM ever.

He'll be considered Spain's greatest ever player and amongst the handful of truly elite central-midfielders in footballing history when he retires.

If Barca retain the CL this year (or in the next few years) and Spain win the Euros, it'd be hard to argue against him being the best CM ever.

yeah becomes when a team wins the lot, it means 1 player will be the best ever. Geez. Learn how to differentiate between player and a team

Trickykid

In terms of club thophies, Zidane isn't even fit to wash Xavis sweaty match worn undies. When it comes to personal glory though it's of course an entirely different matter, but I suppose much of it comes down to different playstyles, goals scored and generel flashyness. Zidane was absolutely amazing, even though I had a hard time enjoying seeing him play for obvious reasons, but Xavi really should be regarded in the same exclusive category of best midfielders ever. I have no doubt in my mind that Xavi has meant more for Barcas succes than Zidane ever did for any of his clubs. It actually surprised me he just won 1 league title and 1 Chl title during his 5 seasons at Real Madrid.

Regarding that assist list, it really surprises me that he only assisted Eto'o 11 times. He scored 130ish goals for crying out loud?

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
yeah becomes when a team wins the lot, it means 1 player will be the best ever. Geez. Learn how to differentiate between player and a team
6OwcP.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans