Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganinisrvnge

Not sure how you miss 31 in 2008. The two years before last year he was actually struggling with tendinitis and still reached 28 so your point fails more and more.

1. I overlooked the 31 but it's still just one match and that was when he was only 29.

2. I only made one point so I don't know what you're talking about me failing.

The fact is Tito had the option of playing Thiago and Fabregas but instead he chose to move Iniesta to the wing and overplay Xavi. Tito had one of the worst rotation policies in the history of western civilization.

barcanuck

1. I overlooked the 31 but it's still just one match and that was when he was only 29.

The fact is Tito had the option of playing Thiago and Fabregas but instead he chose to move Iniesta to the wing and overplay Xavi. Tito had one of the worst rotation policies in the history of western civilization.

This.

spark

Thiago was injured until December so I would think that was the reason Xavi played more games by January but by the end of the season he played his fewest games in almost a decade.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Well I hope his wife if OK with that considering she probably has to sit on the couch next to him when that happens.

Xtroverto

Barcelona games played by Xavi at this stage of the season, per season since 2005/2006: 15 - 22 - 31 - 29 - 29 - 28 - 27 - 30 - 25 [via as]

The difference is even bigger if you include NT matches. Xavi has been overplayed every season since returning from injury in 2006. Especially the last two seasons with Rijkaard and the three first seasons with Pep, where he acumulated almost 26400 minutes between the club and the NT, on average 5200 minutes per season without any summer break in between (well 2-3 weeks in july). In the last 7 seasons (2006-07 through 2012-13) Xavi has played 450 matches, on average 64 matches per season, that is nutz.

Last edited:

Alarcón

So-so performance but today's game also confirmed that he is reluctant to taking any kind of risk with his passes.

Messi_Goal

I'm going to get slagged off for this but Xavi is a big part of the problem I have said it all season he is past it.
He doesn't influence the game like he used to and at at times when you look at players running around him his expression just looks like he is so frustrated and he knows he cant do what he wants to.
don't get me wrong he is still a decent player but when a player has been the best at what he does and is on the decline it is very noticeable.
At the end of the season we should cash in on him....Harsh but true.just my opinion though.

F

Flavia

He should play even less, imo. But Thiago's not here anymore. And there's no one else to do a similar job. Another cm should be signed.

F

Flavia

Xavi wrote a beautiful letter to Luis Aragones.

Found a translation on reddit(!) of all places. Seems accurate enough:

“You are not Japanese, you understand what I say”, he told me one night. I’m seeing him, in my hotel room, and I know I’ll miss him. A lot. Because I really loved Luis Aragonés. And I talked a lot with Luis.
I knew he wasn’t alright, but I never thought he had something so serious, that he would leave so early, so quickly, in that way. “I’m fine, I’m fine”, he said whenever I asked. I talked to him every now and again, because ever since I met him, he was an absolute referent for me. I guess he’s the coach with whom I’ve spent the longest talking about football. I went up to his room and we talked for hours, sometimes about the style, “that’s the key, Xavi, knowing what game we want to play”, always about the importance of getting the good players together on the pitch, and how important it was to not be afraid of anyone, any team, however much faster than us they ran. “You and I both know that the ball runs faster than they do. And we play it better than they do”, he said. My best memories of Luis were of a chat, bumping into him in the corridor or in the dining hall, because he always left you with something. And he was always right, always.

Luis was always straightforward, at face value; he looked at you during training, he would go towards you and say “You’re slacking off, you’ve come to train but I don’t see you. And I don’t like slackers”. And he would leave. Luis never lied to you, he was for real. “You’re not playing because you’ve been awful this week”, “Are you tired or what?, “You’ve been fantastic today, you’ll nail it this week”. “Do you think I suck my finger like a baby, that I’m stupid?” That was Luis, close to you, really.

The other day I remembered an anecdote of the first time he called me to the national team. He hadn’t called me for the first session, and in September, when I got there, he was waiting for me. “What did you think? That the old son of a bitch wasn’t gonna call you, eh?” I was fucking scared and said, “No, no, I never thought that, mister”. And he, pure Luis, said “yeah, yeah, yeah, like you’re gonna fool me. Come on, go upstairs and we’ll talk”. And we talked that day and a thousand hours.

Luis has been fundamental in my career and in the history of La Roja. Without him, nothing would have been the same, it’s impossible. Everything started with him, because he got all the short guys together, Iniesta, Cazorla, Cesc, Silva, Villa... With Luis we did the revolution, we changed the fury for the ball [reference to the team's old nickname, La Furia Roja (the red fury), back in the day when they had to play like Stoke to be considered manly], and we showed the world that you can win while playing well. If we hadn’t won the Eurocup we wouldn’t have won the World Cup, but of course, that was also thanks to the arrival of Del Bosque, another genius.

Luis got the piss taken, but he was the one who showed us the way, the one who gave Spain the style it has today. In that, we always agreed. Luis was the one who saw what we had, he bet on us midgets. “I’m gonna play the good ones, because you’re so good, we’re gonna win the Eurocup”. And we won it. He was intelligent and very brave.
Personally, Luis made me feel important when my self-esteem was disastrous. He gave me control of the national team when I didn’t even rule at Barça. “You rule here”, he said, “and I will get criticised”. I decided to give back all that trust on the field. If I was chosen the best player in the Eurocup it was thanks to him, although he refused to take credit. He had unforgettable gestures with me. I wasn’t well when I went to Germany [’06 WC, I guess], but he waited for me. He would come to Barcelona to see me. Paredes [a personal trainer] would come with me to hike up La Mola [a mountain] while I recovered... Luis called me all the time. “Try harder Xavi, don’t fall asleep, I’m counting on you”.

The word “football” in the dictionary should have a picture of Luis next to it. Luis is football made man, football personified.
Farewell, mister. And thanks for everything. And remember, you and I were never Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans