Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaled_a_d

Club football is different than international one. AFC Champions League is dominated by South Korean, Saudi and Japanese clubs for decades now and most of them rely on foreign players to make the difference.

At that level they aren't that difference, in fact international one are usually more difficult as you are facing more experienced ones.
Regarding 2nd question, our prime started after the 2006 World cup qualification and ended before world cup 2010, in 2009 we had early poor run but made a comeback and at the end had to play a deciding game in neutral ground, the game had a lot of political pressure and ton of bs that distracted our team and we lost after some individual mistakes. We won ACN in 2010 by doing a 2012 Chelsea

serghei

No, I am talking about most of the posts, doesn't seem I am the one who has his memory failing him.

Funny, I'm looking back on my posts regarding Setien and other than I like his style (duh, obviously, everybody knows I'm for keeping possession and playing nice football), my stance was that he'll get a short while to prove himself and if not he's gonna be moved on pretty fast.

Specifically said a couple of times that nobody thinks he is a great choice, just that EV had to go. And I repeat, he made more points than EV that season, and that's with him being in conflict with the main veterans.

The story back then was simple. People wanted EV gone as the team was doing worse and worse. Nobody believed Setien was gonna be the shiny knight in white armor like you pretend. The positive mood was mostly because EV was gone, man was putting me to sleep during games. I'm sure others felt the same as the news of his sacking lifted the mood.

Then we started hearing how the veterans are mad the training sessions are too hard and too frequent, that the assistant manager was too fiery, and so on. Basically a bunch of sissies with a lot of power in the team got mad that their favorite softie manager was sacked and these new no-name guys came up with an attitude. Then he lost the locker room, and the team was basically more or less on auto-pilot.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Setien had the team play very well before the break. After the break his selections looked as if they had come from Valverde, but certainly not from Setien. Who knows exactly what had happened, but it seemed very clear he wasn't in control, and it was more or less confirmed too.
He was an attempt to go back to the roots in some way, but he lacked the authority, and the result was "one step forward, two steps back" in the appointment of Koeman.
Xavi would have the authority, and he'd be a great choice! I am sure!

serghei

Setien had the team play very well before the break. After the break his selections looked as if they had come from Valverde, but certainly not from Setien. Who knows exactly what had happened, but it seemed very clear he wasn't in control, and it was more or less confirmed too.
He was an attempt to go back to the roots in some way, but he lacked the authority, and the result was "one step forward, two steps back" in the appointment of Koeman.
Xavi would have the authority, and he'd be a great choice! I am sure!

Xavi would also get the benefit of not having the bigger troublemakers in the locker room, which were Messi and Suarez. These two were the heads of the lazy amigo brigade.

Basically, he'll get a considerably younger and hungrier team, that he could hopefully mold well for the future.

Bobo32

Xavi would also get the benefit of not having the bigger troublemakers in the locker room, which were Messi and Suarez. These two were the heads of the lazy amigo brigade.

Basically, he'll get a considerably younger and hungrier team, that he could hopefully mold well for the future.

My view is not that they were troublemakers, and I doubt anyone could judge this from the outside, but the dynamics of the team surely changed with them leaving, and especially Messi could be the one player that I think Xavi could have problems dealing with as a former team mate.

I don't know if it became a big thing or not at the time, but I saw some training footage when Setien was the coach and they played rondos. Setien was playing with Messis group, and Messi seemed to have made a mistake. Setien told him to go into the middle, but Messi just raised his hand a little and lowered the side of his mouth and Setien went into the middle himself... They used to say that Rijkaard never went into the middle, and the same with Pep, and I think it would be the same with Xavi. Not only because he'd never make a mistake, as I also think it was with Rijkaard.

khaled_a_d

Specifically said a couple of times that nobody thinks he is a great choice, just that EV had to go. And I repeat, he made more points than EV that season, and that's with him being in conflict with the main veterans.

The "he got more points than EV" is one bad argument, ​ he got more points because he faced teams like Valladolid & Alaves when their season is over and had nothing to play for :lol:, doesn't mean he did better
Especially when you consider we lost 7 points in 1st 5 matches of the season without Messi while he played all minutes available with Setien.
Oh, and both coaches got 19 Liga games, EV didn't get 20 as you mentioned before.

The story back then was simple. People wanted EV gone as the team was doing worse and worse. Nobody believed Setien was gonna be the shiny knight in white armor like you pretend. The positive mood was mostly because EV was gone, man was putting me to sleep during games. I'm sure others felt the same as the news of his sacking lifted the mood.

As I said, plenty of people had positive opinion of Setien, and all said he is improvement over EV which he wasn't by any mean or shape, other than empty argument of 2 meaningless points difference between the 2 with EV having his best player missing 5 games and playing not fully fit in another 2.

I didn't say that people were considering him shiny knight in white armor because I know this forum is too pessimistic to consider any coach like that, not even Klopp or Pep would be considered that on barcaforum

Then we started hearing how the veterans are mad the training sessions are too hard and too frequent, that the assistant manager was too fiery, and so on. Basically a bunch of sissies with a lot of power in the team got mad that their favorite softie manager was sacked and these new no-name guys came up with an attitude. Then he lost the locker room, and the team was basically more or less on auto-pilot.

Yes, we started hearing that, in what context?
We started hearing it at the same time of Barcagate and during the same time Abidal decided to make himself a hero for firing EV without getting agreement with a coach before it and having to settle with 4th choice,you mean during that time?
why do we ignore that? It gives context to the situation.

Regarding Xavi: I admit he has the charisma and respect over Setien, but to BBZ point there is context in the comparison : He is another coach who people overrates due to the possession football (you yourself admit you are huge fan of that style) and this has been the case for many coaches.
You don't remember people here speaking highly of Sampaoli during his early Seville days? or some members thinking Paco Jimenez deserving the job more that Lucho? Or asking why we didn't go for Sarri?

Xavi has resemblance on some of those, since he himself admits he didn't pay attention to defense, which showed in his first season and this season, although he dealt with it really well last year and I was hoping he will build on that rather than getting back to his old ways

khaled_a_d

Come on, that's bullshit. Barca has observed Xavi for decades, not 2.5 years. Everyone knows what Xavi will be about. It's just whether you give him the shot or not. Same as Zidane and Pep. Do you give a legend a shot, knowing what he'll try to do, or not?

Maybe the reason they aren't giving him shot is because they observed him for years?
And Pep and Zidane weren't the same, they were given training time and the board observed their work as coaches , one as B team coach and one as assistant.

mc_lovin

Maybe the reason they aren't giving him shot is because they observed him for years?
And Pep and Zidane weren't the same, they were given training time and the board observed their work as coaches , one as B team coach and one as assistant.

I am sure the board has some insight in how he works for Al Sadd.

khaled_a_d

Sure, could be a reason. Or plainly timing. But it feels like Xavi is next in line, media recently talked about Laporta and him getting closer.

We will see, I will wish him luck if he is hired.
But media also talked that Koeman is gone, Martinez is favourite, Pirlo is favourite, Ten Haag is favourite. Let's see how it goes

Windhook

Then it is fair to assume it is the reason they are hesitant to sign him?

Can you give a source or official statement on board's behalf? I'm sorry, wasn't around much in the last couple of weeks, but all I read was Laporta reaching out Xavi as Barca B coach and reconsidering Koeman's job after consulting Jordi Cruyff.

Birdy

I am with Serghei and Bobo (surprisingly) on Setien...

Man was playing good football at the beginning, and not only that, but you could see his ideas and how *If they were worked out* could give the team the upper hand eventually and win LaLiga with beautiful football
He was forced to make concessions, first in way of playing and personnel selection, with the culmination being that infamous CL run where he played textbook Ernieball to receive unjustly all the blame for the 2-8

It was a clear revelation that ALL vets need to go for this team to get built again.
This hasn't happened yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans