Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinBarcelonafan

Pretty great squad.. yet Koeman said we can't even compete vs Bayern. On any level.

Now we are also missing all the key players. Hardly a good squad.

Porque

Big test will be on Tuesday. A bit more time with the squad and a higher stakes game.

Happy to see him get a win, and see his positive activity on the sideline, compared to Koeman who acted more like a self-loathing standup comedian.

Barcilliant

Soooo bad. I mean bad. This is why we need a pragmatic manager. You cannot make a Fiat into a Ferrari. At this present time 433 is absolutely the wrong formation to go with. We need a team that is reinforced defensively and doesn't crumble at the first sign of pressure. I would get a proper DM and pair him with De Jong in a double pivot. We also need a cb. We should not be spending money on forwards.

JamDav1982

Xavi thinks Busquets is best DM in the world.

It is lunacy to believe that and build midfield around him.

The 'maestro' Busquets who only Mingueza had a worse pass % than tonight of the Barca starting line up...and Mingueza looked like he had won a competition to play.

Will be at Barca until 37/38 at this rate.

iniestaGOAT

Soooo bad. I mean bad. This is why we need a pragmatic manager. You cannot make a Fiat into a Ferrari. At this present time 433 is absolutely the wrong formation to go with. We need a team that is reinforced defensively and doesn't crumble at the first sign of pressure. I would get a proper DM and pair him with De Jong in a double pivot. We also need a cb. We should not be spending money on forwards.

Lol you joking? We are literally having to pick up wingers from B team and shove them in pressure games and you dont want us to buy wingers

Barcilliant

Lol you joking? We are literally having to pick up wingers from B team and shove them in pressure games and you dont want us to buy wingers

Dembele Fati and even Memphis. Yes, they aren't fit but the defence needs to be fixed. It buckles under the slightest bit of pressure. Fix the defense so we won't leak goals and then move to attack.

BusiTheKing

So, it's obvious that it's not impossible for us to play good football. In certain periods of the game, we clearly show that we're capable. The problem ahead of us is turning this into consistency, which is mostly a mentality issue.

We have certain collective bad habits that we need to rid ourselves of. The first is that in almost every game, we start relaxing about minute 30. We play good football, create some chances, and then we ease of the accelerator. If this is a phsyical issue, if we can't physically keep the intensity, then we need to accomodate the issue. We need to acknowledge that we're taking it slow and take the precautions so that it doesn't mean letting the opponent take over the game.

The second and bigger issue is our collective anxiety instinct. It seems like in every game, there comes a moment when we're under pressure and we enter this anxiety state where everything we do becomes confused and slow and half-hearted.

What we need is a reversal of this instinct, to turn the anxiety trigger into a intensity trigger. When we're under pressure, that's when we need to run more for each other, not less. That's when we need to play faster and be more confident, not second guess everything. We need to do this in order to re-gain control of the game. When we have that control, then we can ease off and take a breather. Without that burst of intensity that's needed to re-gain control, we're just stuck on the backfoot for the rest of the game trying not to concede, becoming more and more confused and disheartened by the minute.

These are mostly mental issues. But solving it means having a plan that everyone is onboard with. We need to know what to do and then do it without hestitation.

mc_lovin

Dembele Fati and even Memphis. Yes, they aren't fit but the defence needs to be fixed. It buckles under the slightest bit of pressure. Fix the defense so we won't leak goals and then move to attack.

I don't think the defence was the problem, we just fell apart from the top again. Normally we would lead 3:0 after 60 minutes in games like this. And when they pushed for an equaliser they left acres of space behind, which we should have punished. Generally I think there's a very exciting team in there.

jairzinho

I don't think the defence was the problem, we just fell apart from the top again. Normally we would lead 3:0 after 60 minutes in games like this. And when they pushed for an equaliser they left acres of space behind, which we should have punished. Generally I think there's a very exciting team in there.

Didn't we have a 3:0 lead last week against Celta? So yes, defending is a huge problem for quite some time now. Even with a couple injuries we are not resolute enough. We crumble too easily. There's no structure, organization, our players have weak mentality. All the usual issues that existed for a long time are still there hopefully Xavi can fix them.

FinBarcelonafan

Defending wasn't the problem? They had chances to score 2-3 goals easily, but missed tap-ins basically. Defending was massive issue.

mc_lovin

Didn't we have a 3:0 lead last week against Celta? So yes, defending is a huge problem for quite some time now. Even with a couple injuries we are not resolute enough. We crumble too easily. There's no structure, organization, our players have weak mentality. All the usual issues that existed for a long time are still there hopefully Xavi can fix them.

Just look at the teams we finished both games with and people wonder why we struggle to close games. Depth in attack is our problem #1, and it fucks every other line (midfield+defence).
--> we lose depth in midfield as well, because Gavi needs to cover in attack
--> our (non-existing) forwards don't create space for our midfielders, which get consequently pressed to death
--> midfield collapses
--> defence looks like shit, because they can't play out and get pinned back, which never was our style

Defending wasn't the problem? They had chances to score 2-3 goals easily, but missed tap-ins basically. Defending was massive issue.

Not defending, I said the defence wasn't the problem (apart from Mingueza). It's a difference, and I would argue our team/defence as a whole collapses from the front.

Last edited:

Bobo32

It is with Barcelona as it is with the spanish NT: as Luis Enrique says, they are a bit poor at defending, but great when they have the ball. So it is important that all players reliably can at least keep the ball. It all falls apart when you have 1,2,3 very sloppy players, and players who don't understand where and when to run.

jairzinho

Just look at the teams we finished both games with and people wonder why we struggle to close games. Depth in attack is our problem #1, and it fucks every other line (midfield+defence).
--> we lose depth in midfield as well, because Gavi needs to cover in attack
--> our (non-existing) forwards don't create space for our midfielders, which get consequently pressed to death
--> midfield collapses
--> defence looks like shit, because they can't play out and get pinned back, which never was our style

Not defending, I said the defence wasn't the problem (apart from Mingueza). It's a difference, and I would argue our team/defence as a whole collapses from the front.

Chaotic defending and weak mentality are issues for some time now regardless of who is in that front line. Even with a fit Fati and Dembele as outlets, the team can't sustain any kind of pressure at all on the other end and most times will crumble way to easily. I get what you are saying about depth in attack and having an outlet but the back line is fragile regardless of whatever options you have up front. Any decent team can rattle us once they start pressing high and putting in some crosses. Once that starts happening we shit our pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans