Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

"We defend in a different way than the former coach", whatever that means.

Still shaky and leaky, mister.

Don't see much difference tbh. It's a press upfront tactic, but Koeman did the same at first, and was forced to abandon it after the strikers slacked off and just pressed randomly. This is happening under Xavi as well.

With the press upfront tactic, you either get it right and everyone does his part, or you ditch it for your own sake. Otherwise, it's like carrying water in a sieve.

Birdy

Elite teams
-------------------------------- line Xavi can't cross
Sevilla, BVB etc pp

?

Yes, I think Xavi can't get the team to the level of Bayern Liverpool city Chelsea (that's the top of the elite) even with star additions like Haaland.
For that you need also a top drawer coach.

But, on the positive note, I think that he can get the team to the level of RM, PSG, Atletico, UTD, Inter, Dortmund, Sevilla and co
with 1) time to teach positional football
and 2) key additions to the squad (wingers, striker mainly)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, I think Xavi can't get the team to the level of Bayern Liverpool city Chelsea (that's the top of the elite) even with star additions like Haaland.
For that you need also a top drawer coach.

But, on the positive note, I think that he can get the team to the level of RM, PSG, Atletico, UTD, Inter, Dortmund, Sevilla and co
with 1) time to teach positional football
and 2) key additions to the squad (wingers, striker mainly)

If Xavi can get Barca to the level of those teams you mention it's not impossible he makes it to the elite level.

He need to be ruthless when it comes to senior underperforming players and show he can adapt first. With more experience who knows where it could lead him. But if he cannot move on from underperforming players everything else is a moot point.

Barcilliant

Don't see much difference tbh. It's a press upfront tactic, but Koeman did the same at first, and was forced to abandon it after the strikers slacked off and just pressed randomly. This is happening under Xavi as well.

With the press upfront tactic, you either get it right and everyone does his part, or you ditch it for your own sake. Otherwise, it's like carrying water in a sieve.

Exactly!

Barcilliant

I see he hasn't changed much. Loved him as a player but even then e used to whinge if the pitch wasn't perfect or the opposition parked the bus.
He simply isn't the right manager for us. Lacks experience, sees football in a one dimensional way. Believe me this will be a disaster. I only hope for his sake and ours that he has the integrity to quit once he realizes this job is beyond him. That fucking idiot Laporta acting like a populist politician just took the easy way out. He should have hired an interim coach for this season and planned properly for next season. Laporta is only a few levels above that shit face Barto.

FinBarcelonafan

I see he hasn't changed much. Loved him as a player but even then e used to whinge if the pitch wasn't perfect or the opposition parked the bus.
He simply isn't the right manager for us. Lacks experience, sees football in a one dimensional way. Believe me this will be a disaster. I only hope for his sake and ours that he has the integrity to quit once he realizes this job is beyond him. That fucking idiot Laporta acting like a populist politician just took the easy way out. He should have hired an interim coach for this season and planned properly for next season. Laporta is only a few levels above that shit face Barto.

I think originally Laporta wanted German coach. I am not sure if he ever really wanted Xavi. Xavi was good for now to calm the people during tough times. It was more political move, but of course there were no other good option available either.

Daisymorr

Give him time guys, let him bring in some players in the summer and judge the improvement then. He may need to bring in some background team staff to help but lets wait to see on the type of player he buys and if these players can bring an improvement to the team.

mc_lovin

If Xavi can get Barca to the level of those teams you mention it's not impossible he makes it to the elite level.

He need to be ruthless when it comes to senior underperforming players and show he can adapt first. With more experience who knows where it could lead him. But if he cannot move on from underperforming players everything else is a moot point.

I have a hard time understanding the fixation on our seniors. Our usable squad* (controversial players in brackets):
Defence: Araujo, (Garcia), (Pique), Alba
Midfield: Pedri, Gavi, Nico, (Busquets), Frenkie
Attack: Ansu, (Dembele), (Depay)

--> seven good players, four of them teenagers, two out of them injured and even Araujo might be debatable.

*not touching the GK position.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I have a hard time understanding the fixation on our seniors. Our usable squad* (controversial players in brackets):
Defence: Araujo, (Garcia), (Pique), Alba
Midfield: Pedri, Gavi, Nico, (Busquets), Frenkie
Attack: Ansu, (Dembele), (Depay)

--> seven good players, four of them teenagers, two out of them injured and even Araujo might be debatable.

*not touching the GK position.

If Pique, Busquets, Alba and ter Stegen are still indisputable starters next season despite underperforming then Xavi has already failed at his job.

Okay you can say he has no choice but to play them right now which I don’t necessarily agree with but I can see the case being made.

Next season though? No chance.

If Xavi cannot actually start a new era there is no point in having him.

Barcilliant

If Pique, Busquets, Alba and ter Stegen are still indisputable starters next season despite underperforming then Xavi has already failed at his job.

Okay you can say he has no choice but to play them right now which I don?t necessarily agree with but I can see the case being made.

Well said

mc_lovin

an say he has no choice but to play them right now which I don’t necessarily agree with but I can see the case being made.

Okay, clue me in... what are the alternatives this season? I am quite confident to shoot any of them down. Lenglet/Garcia for Pique? Sidestep. Nico/Frenkie for Busquets? Teenage midfield. Balde for Alba? Eh, rather naive. Neto for MAtS? Another sidestep at best, but honestly I think Neto is easily worse. I just don't see it.

Next season is hopfully different, but that's primarily the managements job (and only partially Xavis).

FinBarcelonafan

Okay you can say he has no choice but to play them right now which I don?t necessarily agree with but I can see the case being made.

Truth.

At least it looks like Pique could be gone. Busi will stay next season and Alba too.

Busi hopefully a sub. Alba might be starter.

ajnotkeith

Okay, clue me in... what are the alternatives this season? I am quite confident to shoot any of them down. Lenglet/Garcia for Pique? Sidestep. Nico/Frenkie for Busquets? Teenage midfield. Balde for Alba? Eh, rather naive. Neto for MAtS? Another sidestep at best, but honestly I think Neto is easily worse. I just don't see it.

Next season is hopfully different, but that's primarily the managements job (and only partially Xavis).

The point is you start a new era and trim some fat off the wage bill as well by removing their ridiculous wages if you can.

Lenglet/Garcia = Pique. I don't think you'd notice a difference, I mean hell, we saw Umtiti last time out and dare I say it he wasn't any different to Pique.

Frenkie for Busquets? Easy choice for me. I don't think Busquets 'veteran' mentality is adding much to the midfield and 'young midfield' is just a cliche, even if they're young their mentality is probably better than that of the veterans and Frenkie is turning 25 now.

Alba is fine and we can make do with him, he's been pretty good this season actually.

Neto for Mats, again easy choice, sell Mats to the highest bidder and get maybe 30m and free up big cap space.

With the veterans, would we finish 5th instead of 6th? Or 7th instead of 8th? Little difference for me if they are actually adding anything and we may as well get rid and help our finances by selling some of them, whilst giving the youngsters space to develop and see if any of them turn good.

FinBarcelonafan

Trimming the fat:

Coutinho, Umtiti, Lenglet, Puig, Roberto and Pique.

These guys have to leave next summer at last. Rather January (Coutinho and Umtiti especially).

Stegen too next summer if good opportunity to sell and find better replacement.

Busi and Alba stay one more season. Don't see them leaving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans