1 - Victor Valdes

Theconomist

My stance on Valdes is set, I'm tired of him but I know nothing will be done about it in the short or medium term future so we just have to live with it. Score more than we concede.

Xtroverto

I think most people on this board have to narrow concept when it comes to goalkeepers and Barcelona. After all, this is the club that have struggled to find a decent GK for decades going all the way back to the departure of Miguel Reina who still ranks among the top 3 GK in the clubs history as far as I'm concerned. Urruti and Zubizarreta were decent efforts but then there is just long line of clowns, Busquets, Baia, Hesp, Rustu, Arnau and Bonano. Of them Baia is probably the best example why it is so difficult for Barcelona to find a WC GK.

When Zubi departed in 1994 the club decided to let Busi (senior) to take over rather than to spend on an expensive transfer. Lets just say that Busi was horrible compared to Zubi and after 2 years of pathetic displays dragging the club just deeper and deeper down, Nuñez finally decided to splurge on a new GK. The choice fell on Victor Baia, then considered the best GK in the world and indeed was at the time of the transfer to Barcelona the most expensive GK ever. His only season at Camp Nou was a total disaster and he's still in my opinion the one main reason Bobby Robson didn't walk away with the treble that year, he gave away points at a rate Valdez couldn't match even if he played blindfolded.

That experience changed the way the club would deal with goal keepers for the future, no more world class GK were ever considered and the transfer policy changed to a conservative one, Rustu being the only exception. When so finally Valdés emerged his particular abilities were recognized to bridge the deficiencies of former goal keepers. One of them being concentration, an often overlooked aspect of enormous importance when you play for a team that will dominate all its opponents. A particular weakness displayed by former goal keepers at Camp Nou, even Zubi was a lot more prone to lose out on the counter when Barcelona faced humble teams.

It is acknowledged that Valdés is a particularly poor keeper in the box when surrounded by lots of players and that his timing on corners and in direct free kicks leaves much to desire, but it is also acknowledged that he is by far the most adapted goal keeper the club will ever be able to find for particular style of play that Barcelona is using. Has there been debate internally about bring in a new keeper, for sure there has been but that leaves a huge question mark, will the new keeper integrate with the established style of tactics utilized by Barcelona, a question mark so huge that not once during Vades 10 years as the first chose keeper hav the club actually considered WC GK transfer, the risks are far higher than the potential rewards.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think most people on this board have to narrow concept when it comes to goalkeepers and Barcelona. After all, this is the club that have struggled to find a decent GK for decades going all the way back to the departure of Miguel Reina who still ranks among the top 3 GK in the clubs history as far as I'm concerned. Urruti and Zubizarreta were decent efforts but then there is just long line of clowns, Busquets, Baia, Hesp, Rustu, Arnau and Bonano. Of them Baia is probably the best example why it is so difficult for Barcelona to find a WC GK.

When Zubi departed in 1994 the club decided to let Busi (senior) to take over rather than to spend on an expensive transfer. Lets just say that Busi was horrible compared to Zubi and after 2 years of pathetic displays dragging the club just deeper and deeper down, Nuñez finally decided to splurge on a new GK. The choice fell on Victor Baia, then considered the best GK in the world and indeed was at the time of the transfer to Barcelona the most expensive GK ever. His only season at Camp Nou was a total disaster and he's still in my opinion the one main reason Bobby Robson didn't walk away with the treble that year, he gave away points at a rate Valdez couldn't match even if he played blindfolded.

That experience changed the way the club would deal with goal keepers for the future, no more world class GK were ever considered and the transfer policy changed to a conservative one, Rustu being the only exception. When so finally Valdés emerged his particular abilities were recognized to bridge the deficiencies of former goal keepers. One of them being concentration, an often overlooked aspect of enormous importance when you play for a team that will dominate all its opponents. A particular weakness displayed by former goal keepers at Camp Nou, even Zubi was a lot more prone to lose out on the counter when Barcelona faced humble teams.

It is acknowledged that Valdés is a particularly poor keeper in the box when surrounded by lots of players and that his timing on corners and in direct free kicks leaves much to desire, but it is also acknowledged that he is by far the most adapted goal keeper the club will ever be able to find for particular style of play that Barcelona is using. Has there been debate internally about bring in a new keeper, for sure there has been but that leaves a huge question mark, will the new keeper integrate with the established style of tactics utilized by Barcelona, a question mark so huge that not once during Vades 10 years as the first chose keeper hav the club actually considered WC GK transfer, the risks are far higher than the potential rewards.

Nice post. Welcome to the forum!

We have to realize that many of the current fans aren't following Barca for that long to appreciate Valdes.
I can't go that far back as you to remember Reina but I do remember Zubi and I also brought up the example of Baia who was at that time the best gk in Europe. Up until that very summer, to be exact, as Kopke took this accolade on EC 96.

So you young folks out there, it's the same thing now. Nominally gks like Neuer, Czech, etc.. are better than Valdes. But being gk at Barca is something different and, as history taught us, being world class outside Barca meant nothing really.

Garrus

I'm quite fed up with valdes and those 'Condescending fans' that think not blaming him make them somewhat more loyal and intellectual about football than the others, And there are lots of them in here.

It's not a coincidence most of the football watchers both non barcelona fans and barcelona fans make fun of him!!, There isn't a global conspiracy against victor, Even mardaona last year in a press conference said that "valdes is crappy goal keeper and only looks good because of his team mates" you can look it up, I'm not joking.

And don't start telling me how without valdes we wouldn't have won so many trophies, That's a 'red herring', Even if we assumed that assumption is true, It has absolutely no bearing on our present, He could have been as good as kahn for all i care, It has nothing to do with what he is now.

I'm not gonna exaggerate and say he's a very shitty GK, He's currently average, And no where near as good for a team like barcelona, I mean look at all the other top clubs, Juventus has buffon, BM has neuer, Chelsea has petr cech, MU used to have van der Sar, MC has Joe heart, RM has casillas, And we have....Valdes, I mean come on!, I swear to god that's not fair.

Last edited:

alex88bg

Victor bashing is both fair and unfair.He used to be the best one on one keeper in the world for me,and he surely saved our asses many times in the past although he used to fail from time to time,but he saved when it mattered.No one remembered him for his saves only but only for his fails,and thats why he has reputation that he has.
But as someone else said his form is rather poor for a very long time now,there is no confidence in him,there is no confidence in the supporters towards him either,every tougher shot is excpected to go in.He needs competition in the club and i believe that would help him to step up.Victor is not a bad keeper,he might not be intelligent like cassilas is but he is good enough when on form,but when was the last time he was on form?

footyfan

Calma, calma
He seems to be low on confidence, probably due to the defence in front of him. He still messed up in El Clasico in August with a good defence (although he had a great game in the second leg). I definitely wouldn't put him as one of the better performers of the season so far but it's too much to say that we need to sell him.

X

xaviniesta

He seems to be low on confidence, probably due to the defence in front of him. He still messed up in El Clasico in August with a good defence (although he had a great game in the second leg). I definitely wouldn't put him as one of the better performers of the season so far but it's too much to say that we need to sell him.

exactly. he has definately been below bar this season, no doubt about that, especially if you look back what great years he had before. but every player (exept messi) go trough that phase. in think iniesta was below his standards at the end of last season. so was xavi. villa was poor before his injury, pedro didn't do well for some time etc. the thing with goalkeepers is that their bad days and mistakes are so evident and gets so much attention. thats why i have a lot of respect to them. especially for valdes. if i was a goalkeeper, barca would be the last team i would want to play tbf. people say its easy but its definately not. its' unique, different and very hard and to integrade into this role would be very very hard imo.

M

mitkoa7x

Pinto's chance against Alaves is coming, I hope he shows better form and Tito actually musters the balls needed to bench Victor.

JackaL

I actually think he's not as good as his fanboys claim him to be and never as bad as his haters are making him. FFS Valdes is not worldclass but I think he's among the better goalies in Europe. On top of that, he fits into the Barca way perfectly, especially with his passing, his understanding and reading of the game. If we want to play possession football, and I think that's what we do, Valdes is great for us. What I don't understand, however, is that he doesn't pass as much as the last couple of years. I remember the Clasico in Bernabeu where we got 1-0 behind because of him, but he still managed to pass the ball to his teammates all game long. That was so fucking important. I don't think that there's any other goalie (Neuer maybe) that would fit in Barca so well. Especially because of this passing. Don't come with counterarguments such as a goalie's first job is to save the goal etc.

JonM

What would benching Valdes accomplish aside from messing with his head and creating even more instability in the defense?

Once Pique comes back, it will help tremendously. Valdes' recent woes have more to do with the patchwork defense than anything.

Zebulun

1) Valdes has no competition thus he is always guaranteed a starting spot even if if he plays shit games upon games.
2)Even when Valdes has good games he is still very unconvincing, I remember last season against chelsea, every time drogba was near our box I thought, any near post shot=goal just ask van persie how he scored against us.
3)You have to criticize where its due, cesc had his best game to date and people are ostracizing him, leaving this error prone "masia graduate" with an easy ride.
4)However I'm thinking if our side always has over 60% posession , maybe just maybe any keeper might fall into the same mistakes. NO. spain basically play a very similar style and yes Iker does make mistakes but however, lets recall how many he conceded in the last euros...3! Even del bosque placed pepe reina ahead of Victor.
5)Hugo Lloris, Diego Alves, heck i'd go even as far as to say brad friedel in his javi varas form to fight victor for his place.
"barcelona is not a social club":tito:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

This is probably the best introductory post I have ever seen. Welcome.

It's possible that the club could buy Neur/Lloris/Hart/whatever and they would dominate. It's also possible Barca would repeat the same problem it had in the 90s - bringing in expensive, highly regarded keepers like Baia, Hesp, Rustu, Enke and Bonano who fail to adapt and become a real liability beyond even the young, erratic Valdes.

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
The GK position is a different one... Competition doesn't work the same in every position, or look at the second keepers of every team that has a great first one... People are naming Hart, Neuer, Cech, Buffon and even Casillas, but who are behind them? They don't really have a competitor either, do they? And even if they had, that is not what makes them good keepers... Competition is great to have in any position, but it's not the holy grail of magnificent form... Messi, Xavi and Iniesta don't really have any competition in our squad, yet they are always giving their best...

That said, I do think the club should start looking for a keeper for the future, a young promising keeper that could take over once Valdés retires in 5 or more years...

Home of Barca Fans