10 - Ansu Fati

Messi983

I'd start with a 4-2-3-1, Messi up top, Fati - Griezmann - Dembele in the 3 behind him. Trincao could appear in the mix as well if he impresses, with all of the starters being benched for proper rotation, including Messi.

Why are you still counting on Dembele? We all know he'll get injured again.

serghei

I hate the idea of Griezmann in the center of a 4231.

Why? He has everything to play there. Work-rate, eye for a goal, associative game to link up with players around him, game intelligence. He could play even 9 if the tactics are right. He just can't play wide.

And pass him the ball when he's fucking open. Maybe with Suarez out this will change.

El Gato

Villarato!
Why? He has everything to play there. Work-rate, eye for a goal, associative game to link up with players around him, game intelligence. He could play even 9 if the tactics are right. He just can't play wide..

Literally trying to shoehorn him into the #9 while realising he also can't play RW. Don't you see the point?

Havesaks

Just watched his highlights, and he looks like himself. Great movement, but sloppy execution in a lot of moments. He will be a good player, but he is still a bit raw. Needs a tad more speed and cleverness (routine actually, he is clever) and he will be great.

He will probably be something like David Villa good or maybe even Neymar (less talented but better life choices)

Latschenkiefer

Now that I think of it, Fati and Vinicius are total opposites. Each is the best at what the other is the weakest. And both could be world class no doubt.

You would say that Ansu's dribbling is his biggest weakness? I would rather say that he uses a different kind of dribbling. While Vinicius takes high risks and benefits from his crazy acceleration, Ansu plays a slower but very intelligent and tidy style, more like... Iniesta. It can look a bit less exciting but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily that much weaker. Besides he is two years behind in his physical development.

mc_lovin

Why? He has everything to play there. Work-rate, eye for a goal, associative game to link up with players around him, game intelligence. He could play even 9 if the tactics are right. He just can't play wide.

And pass him the ball when he's fucking open. Maybe with Suarez out this will change.

He has no ability to carry the ball forward and doesnt move like a midfielder. Would be more of a 442 imo.

serghei

Literally trying to shoehorn him into the #9 while realising he also can't play RW. Don't you see the point?

I just posted above that ideally you want somebody else as a 9, but in need, Griezmann would be more than decent there with proper movement around him.

The position that he can't play is traditional winger, like Vinicius.

Porque

You would say that Ansu's dribbling is his biggest weakness? I would rather say that he uses a different kind of dribbling. While Vinicius takes high risks and benefits from his crazy acceleration, Ansu plays a slower but very intelligent and tidy style, more like... Iniesta. It can look a bit less exciting but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily that much weaker. Besides he is two years behind in his physical development.

Agreed. In a past life, Ansu was German. In a past life, Vinicius was a Hyena.

El Gato

Villarato!
I just posted above that ideally you want somebody else as a 9, but in need, Griezmann would be more than decent there with proper movement around him.

The position that he can't play is traditional winger, like Vinicius.

The point of this discussion which you're seemingly missing isn't figuring out a place for him in the event of 'in need'. Griezmann is your 100+M transfer who needs a consistent place on the pitch and needs to be played. And the only place with this squad is #9 which isn't ideal. That or you end up rearranging the formation around to best accommodate him. Which you won't likely do.

serghei

The point of this discussion which you're seemingly missing isn't figuring out a place for him in the event of 'in need'. Griezmann is your 100+M transfer who needs a consistent place on the pitch and needs to be played. And the only place with this squad is #9 which isn't ideal or you end up rearranging the formation around to accommodate him.

And you felt the need to underline this obvious thing because...?

I'm not sure if you're aware of the latest news that some compromises will have to be made, because we won't go and buy Haaland tomorrow. Out of the players we have, Messi and Griezmann are the only ones that can play 9 if Suarez moves. That is the point.

mc_lovin

Well, the central player in that line is more of a forward than a midfielder.

Well, not a fan of that. Even the classic 10 is a dying breed, just weakens the midfield. Put Messi on the right, center (or where ever) as well and we look disastrous again. Which makes me intrigued what Koeman has in mind when saying Griezmann will be a key player while building his project around Messi. I just dont see it.

Home of Barca Fans