10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatem Ben Arfa

you can hold that opinion, but back in Pele's day all they did was assault him to stop him. so I don't buy the whole, it was so much easier to score back in those days. yes of course defenders are more athletic these days, but is it really much easier to score when you are getting assaulted and referee classes it as fair play?

what other 18 year olds were scoring 66 goals in a single season in world football? has another 18 year old ever beaten that record?

another interesting fact, a 16/17 year old boy (not done growing physically) named Pele scored 41 goals in a single season (HIS FIRST SEASON IN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL) for Santos in all official club competitions :worthy:

I guess that is not impressive either when compared to what Messi is doing with what is widely acknowledged as the best team of all time.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Okay we get it, Pele was awesome.

Cut it out now
cut-it-out.gif

La LL

Generally Delightful
yeah, an 18 year old boy named Pele scoring 66 goals in a single season in Brazilian league at a time when Brazil league was the best in the world (Campeones Del Mundo multiple times and they all played in Brazil) is not that impressive at all. Let's just belittle that because every game ended 8-3 :lol:

funny, I could have sworn at times this season Pep has played on 3 at the back and a 7 in midfield that camps in the oppostion half playing keep ball and probing for a goal.

besides we only won 5-3 a few days ago :lol:

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

J

jiopi

yeah, an 18 year old boy named Pele scoring 66 goals in a single season in Brazilian league at a time when Brazil league was the best in the world (Campeones Del Mundo multiple times and they all played in Brazil) is not that impressive at all.:
:lol: There wasn't even Brazilian league at the time. Pele played in state championship called Campeonato Paulista, one of 27 in Brazil. Same if Messi and Barcelona played Catalonian league + Valencia today.

Last edited:
J

jiopi

the most reliable resource online.
You should understand, the margin of error is so little, that it doesn't really matter. The goal and game statistics are accurate enough. I would surprised if it would change more than 1% when verified. Furthermore wikipedia gives highly detailed statistics in these competitions, so I doubt that they would be made up.

Last edited:

Hatem Ben Arfa

:lol: There wasn't even Brazilian league at the time. Pele played in state championship called Campeonato Paulista, one of 27 in Brazil. Same if Messi and Barcelona played Catalonian league + Valencia today.

Yes that is how the Brazilian league was set up back then. but for you to compare it to catalonian league and valencia is quite pathetic belittling from yourself on biblical proportions, especially when that league produced 3 time FIFA World Champions where all those world Champions played in that league you are belittling just so you can belittle Pele.

I guess there are 16/17 year olds scoring 41 goals a season in all competitions in their first season in professional football, and then win the World Cup in that same season scoring 6 goals in the tournament.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Not that I want to stoke the coals (well actually...) but this is something that has been bugging me for quite some time: Didn't they play far less games back in Pele's days?

J

jiopi

Yes that is how the Brazilian league was set up back then. but for you to compare it to catalonian league and valencia is quite pathetic belittling from yourself on biblical proportions, especially when that league produced 3 time FIFA World Champions where all those world Champions played in that league you are belittling just so you can belittle Pele.

I guess there are 16/17 year olds scoring 41 goals a season in all competitions in their first season in professional football, and then win the World Cup in that same season scoring 6 goals in the tournament.
This should be good read for you: http://www.bagsynotin.net/2010/04/pele-the-myth-of-1000-goals/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans