10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatem Ben Arfa

I'm thinking HBA has a way of bringing down even the most positive of topics.

He could probably ruin topics that couldn't get much worse.

"You call that cancer? The guy across the hall has a tumor the size of a fist! Back in 1955 this one guy had a tumor the size of a melon"

you really can't remain civil and have a debate. you just have to get personal don't you.

I can agree to respect your differing opinion and not get personal and take the mick. why can't you?

B

beautifulgame

you fools have no business rating pele. HBA just made a statement of fact that elucidates pele's brilliant career and you hacks take it as a slight against messi. cherish both and get on with your life.

pele was an artist of the highest order. maradona and pele both got hacked at every play.

let's just leave it at that.

J

jiopi

^^ Insert pictures from Del Horno, Uljafusi or etc. on Messi here, or every game where he gets kicked, grabbed, pushed etc.

E

estranged

you fools have no business rating pele. HBA just made a statement of fact that elucidates pele's brilliant career and you hacks take it as a slight against messi. cherish both and get on with your life.

pele was an artist of the highest order. maradona and pele both got hacked at every play.

let's just leave it at that.

All I can tell by that vid HBA posted is that back in Pele's time, defenders fouled like a bunch of pussies compared to the professional hatchet men Messi faces every week nowadays.

J

jiopi

All I can tell by that vid HBA posted is that back in Pele's time, defenders fouled like a bunch of pussies compared to the professional hatchet men Messi faces every week nowadays.
Actually that was the impression I also got, Messi gets even rougher treatment.

Hatem Ben Arfa

^^ Insert pictures from Del Horno, Uljafusi or etc. on Messi here, or every game where he gets kicked, grabbed, pushed etc.

ever heard the term, back in my day when people are complaining about what constitutes a foul and red card these days? there is a reason. assaults occured on a weekly basis back in the days of Pele, Maradona etc.

J

jiopi

ever heard the term, back in my day when people are complaining about what constitutes a foul and red card these days? there is a reason. assaults occured on a weekly basis back in the days of Pele, Maradona etc.
And there is a reason why he wasn't injured all the time. Old times are ususally romantized in a way to portray them better, ever heard this?

It also helps that Messi is probably best ever at riding tackles, style wise he reminds be George Best, but mark II.

gingerless

i see this thread has been HBA'd

i'll leave you to it then

17004620.jpg

17004708.jpg

17004863.jpg

:lol::lol:

Hatem Ben Arfa

Still not convinced, but then again youtube compilations rarely convince me of anything. I'd need to watch a few games from back then and see how many fouls were committed on him per game and how nasty they were.

fair enough.

unlike Messi whose every single game was televised and immortalized on film, that is not the case for Pele. very little footage exists. There is none from his first season with Santos, and barely, if any of 2nd season with that incredible 66 goal haul.

E

estranged

well thats because some of the fouls were just plain moronic back then, like many in that vid you posted, a lot of the fouls were more comical than brutal, more like out of a wrestling match....plus when they say "back in the day" they mostly refer to EPL standards set by the likes of Leeds United and not necessarily Santos.

Also Pele was a diver I think, go to 3:00 on that video, what the fuck was he doing? I see he was as retarded back then as he is now, no way this imbecile could have been better than Messi or Maradona. Anyways Messi > Pele.

Hatem Ben Arfa

you do realize how little video footage there is of Pele?

take a look at the 66 world cup where a proper hatchet job was done on him.

if you think fouls messi suffers now are worse than back in Pele's time with less protection, fine.

Hatem Ben Arfa

well thats because some of the fouls were just plain moronic back then, like many in that vid you posted, a lot of the fouls were more comical than brutal, more like out of a wrestling match....plus when they say "back in the day" they mostly refer to EPL standards set by the likes of Leeds United and not necessarily Santos.

Also Pele was a diver I think, go to 3:00 on that video, what the fuck was he doing? I see he was as retarded back then as he is now, no way this imbecile could have been better than Messi or Maradona. Anyways Messi > Pele.

yes, usually it is thugs like Souness saying that, but it doesn't mean that Pele was not on the end of assaults like those interviewed in the video who played alongside him were saying.

and again a tiny fraction of the games Pele played for Santos were televised.

so Pele dived and therefore Messi is better? did Messi not dive this season at the slightest contact vs sociedad and get booked for it?

Pele is an egotistical douche whenever he opens his mouth, I am in agreement with that, but it does not mean people on here should put their blinkers on and claim he's not even worthy of being mentioned as one of the greatest ever ( a comment i've seen on this forum a few times).

you think Messi is better, i don't how many times i've said I respect such opinions, even if i disagree. don't take me pointing out some incredible goal record by Pele at the mere ages of 17 and 18 as a personal insult to Messi.

gingerless

so are you suggesting that having a lot of footage of a player, a lot of videos to analyze their play... is immortalizing them? and i guess having next to no footage of a player doesn't make them prone to an exaggerated, inflated notion?

seems legit

Hatem Ben Arfa

Correct me if im wrong but the offside rule didn't exist in 1957-58 right?

Original offside rule
The offside rule formed part of the original rules in 1863 but it was a far remove from the law as we know it today. Any attacking player ahead of the ball was deemed to be offside - meaning early tactical systems featured as many as eight forwards, as the only means of advancing the ball was by dribbling or scrimmaging as in rugby. In the late 1860s, the FA made the momentous decision to adopt the three-player rule, where an attacker would be called offside if positioned in front of the third-last defender. Now the passing game could develop.

Despite the unification of the rules and the creation of the FA in 1863, disputes, largely involving Sheffield clubs who had announced their own set of ideas in 1857, persisted into the late 1870s. However, the creation of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) finally put an end to all arguments. Made up of two representatives from each of the four associations of the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland), the IFAB met for the first time on 2 June 1886 to guard the Laws of the Game. Then, as today, a three-quarters majority was needed for a proposal to be passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans