10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I hate to admit it, but that was kind of funny.

As much as I dislike Ronaldo, he is a tremendous athlete and football player. I feel that wunderkinds, such as Messi, need players like Ronaldo to keep competitive and not become complacent. It's an arms race.

Definitely. Every generation of wunder players need competition, one from the past and one in the present. Both Ronaldo and Messi know of each other and want to beat each other. Messi hides it better than Ronaldo, but the competitive nature in both of them are equivalent. Just because Messi doesn't seem obssessed does not mean he isn't. When he began losing grip on Ronaldo last year he was upset, he wanted that Pichichi so bad, which is a good thing because this year he has been ruthless. 39 goals in the league? Are you fuckin' kidding me? With 6 more games to go? WTF? And Ronaldo his his record with 6 games less? More WTF??

Why has this number not been reached before? You think the real Ronaldo wouldn't have notched this number? He could, he just wasn't motivated enough to do it. A while back reaching 20+ was applauded, now Higuain who plays on the same team as Ronaldo has this number, and Falcao in his first season with Atletico also has surpassed 20.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
i feel the same way. i wonder, if ronaldo wasnt around, would messi be hitting such high numbers? not unlikely

but if messi wasnt around, would ronaldo? definitely not

Both wouldn't reach this level. Not because the talent is not there, just because there would never be the need to, or more like the imagination to reach such numbers wouldn't exist. When Messi scored 25, Ronaldo wanted 30, when Messi scored 35, Ronaldo scored 40. The opposite is also true, Messi will reach Ronaldo's record soon, because Ronaldo did it, so Ronaldo will push him even further.

in 10 years, when 15 year olds are looking at wikipedia and look at the pichichi winners every year, the table will look normal until it hits the last 2 years :lol:...It is like a joke or something...

gingerless

no way messi would be reaching the same tally if there wasn't any competition. he would get lazy like mentioned. ronaldo would be at 30-40 MAX a season if there was no messi, same for both of them imo

BarcaOG

Banned
absolutely.. tbh the rivalry between messi and ronaldo definitely brings out the best in both, even if they will never publicly admit that they are in any sort of competition. like you said messi is less conspicuous about but its definitely there... he is human after all and these sort of feats are always gratifying. and youre right, these past few years have been insane in la liga.. both barca and madrid reaching 90 + points.. hauls of 40 plus goals from individual players... it would look something like the carbon emission chart in an inconvenient truth with a sudden, sharp spike in the recent era :lol:

Maria

While I agree that it certainly exists a rivalry between them and that Messi probably wants the Pichichi just as bad as Cristiano, I don't think that this rivarly is what drives them to score so much. Let us not forget that Cristiano already scored 42 goals 4 years ago, when he was not at his peak yet and he didn't even considered Messi as his rival. The same could be said about Messi's record in Pep's first season, while he was playing on the wing.

Both wouldn't reach this level. Not because the talent is not there, just because there would never be the need to, or more like the imagination to reach such numbers wouldn't exist. When Messi scored 25, Ronaldo wanted 30, when Messi scored 35, Ronaldo scored 40. The opposite is also true, Messi will reach Ronaldo's record soon, because Ronaldo did it, so Ronaldo will push him even further.

Yes, but at the same time if Cristiano wouldn't be RM's player, your team would have less points and Messi wouldn't have to make that extra effort every single game. And the same thing could be said if Leo would play for a team outside Spain, while Cristiano would still play for RM.

The competition that brings the best in Messi, in my opinion, is CL. You can feel his tension when he steps on the pitch or when he listens the CL anthem. Here he always gives his best and he wants to score even in the 90th minute(unlike some games from La Liga or CDR). Based on this impression of mine I also looked at the number of shots Cristiano and Messi have in the league and in the CL:

-in the league Cristiano has a shot at 12.72 min, while Messi has one at 15.85min;
-in the CL Cristiano has a shot at 16.36min min, while Messi has one at 13.50min.

So my guess is that while Messi thinks at Cristiano every time he steps on a football pitch, he also thinks at Raul or Inzaghi or Maradona or maybe even Pele. Or at the WC medal he doesn't have or at his grandmother who insisted on him playing football..or at the fact that if he doesn't score, most of the times nobody else will. All of these things, plus his natural talent and love for football made him the competitive beast that he is today.

Last edited:

MagIX

I don’t know one thing….

has never existed a player who score so much as one of the best forward ever (61 goals – best in Europe) and in the same time a player who has so many assists as one of the best midfielder or playmaker ever (26 assists- best in Europe) ?

Normally, or better, before Messi era, a fantastic striker has never been a assist man and a fantastic midfielder has never been a top scorer……. Leo has invented a new tipology of player never existed before.

M

mitkoa7x

I don’t know one thing….

has never existed a player who score so much as one of the best forward ever (61 goals – best in Europe) and in the same time a player who has so many assists as one of the best midfielder or playmaker ever (26 assists- best in Europe) ?

Normally, or better, before Messi era, a fantastic striker has never been a assist man and a fantastic midfielder has never been a top scorer……. Leo has invented a new tipology of player never existed before.

He is the God of football for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans